The Zombie Hunters Forum: WE GO THERE.
October 25, 2014, 05:15:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mah arms are scarf!!  Dey go, "WEE WOO WEE WOO!"

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Disney Buys Marvel for 4 Billion.  (Read 7291 times)
Lambeth
ARC Support Staff

View Profile Email
« on: August 31, 2009, 10:26:40 pm »

click this link

What are your thoughts?

(Right category? or no?)

Lambeth... You win.... The glory of all that is awesome.
The your mom joke is forgiven, Lambeth. That cake is glorious
MLE
Hailsis
Half-Life

Dammit Ghari

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 10:38:10 pm »

SRSLY U GUISE.

U GUISE.

SRSLY

Marvel wanted this. Both parties agreed. It's just business, Disney owns Marvel. Marvel will continue to run things--I doubt Disney will do anything ((cross-overs and the like))

Maybe there will be theme park rides. Okay, like we haven't seent that before.

I just think everyone is panicking and overreacting over this.

EDIT:: Disney created Gargoyles.

Disney just owns Marvel. They know how Marvel works and how they make money. They're not going to change that formula. Marvel won't have new management. They'll just have Disney money.

Excuse me if something I said didn't make sense, I'm furious and deeply peeved about how much reaction this is getting and this retarded book I have to read for English.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 10:43:36 pm by MLE » Logged

:B Totally not Hailfax's sister
Quote from: Taco Zombie
I like Hailsis. That is what you will be called now.

Times YutNinja'd : 21 :C
Boomstick
ARC Support Staff

maddeer02
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 10:42:28 pm »

Seeing as how they are both involved in movies and TV, I would agree with the category.

"You can't expect to pay a bargain price for premium assets," said Disney Chief Financial Officer Tom Staggs. "Marvel is worth more inside Disney than outside Disney."

Are you fucking kidding me?!?  Geez people!  They are just now getting into making actual entertaining Marvel Movies, and you say they're worth more with Disney?!?  I really really REALLY hope Stan Lee isn't forced into his grave by this...

M, obviously you're not a devout fan of Marvel.  This is an atrocity.  *goes to find Stan Lee's opinion on the matter*

*sees Stan is happy*  Mr Lee, I hope you and MLE are right.  I really hope that this is something that makes nothing but good...but I fear for the worse.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 10:44:41 pm by Boomstick » Logged
MLE
Hailsis
Half-Life

Dammit Ghari

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 10:51:43 pm »

Would you rather have FOX own Marvel!?

Lambeth
ARC Support Staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 10:55:15 pm »

Disney is an old company. Old enough that they know not to fuck with a good product.

And yes, I am a Marvel dork.

Boomstick
ARC Support Staff

maddeer02
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 10:57:42 pm »

No, I would rather Marvel own Marvel.  It's an issue of principles with me.  I grew up on the company, and its products, and I don't want to see them butchered.  While I agree it may possibly be a good move, I also fear for the destruction of the company that I hold so dear in my heart.

It would be akin to what you would feel if some bubblegum company that is good for it's own things bought out Pokemon's creation company...while it MAY be a good move, it could also spell disaster for the creation you grew up on.

Lambeth Ninja'd:  It may well work out that way...but I guess we have no choice but to wait and see.
MLE
Hailsis
Half-Life

Dammit Ghari

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 11:08:47 pm »

I understand what you're coming from, but I just feel like people only see the damn Miley Cyrus image of Disney, which is more Disney Channel and not what's going to be in your Marvel pie.

Disney is an old company. Old enough that they know not to fuck with a good product.
Quoted for truth.

And Disney technically owns about 80% of ESPN; do you see Mickey Mouse ears flaunting themselves on every uniform?

Lambeth
ARC Support Staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 11:12:06 pm »

Disney also owns Abc and are partners with Pixar.

Again, they won't fuck with a successful product.

Boomstick
ARC Support Staff

maddeer02
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 11:17:16 pm »

But we don't know that.  Like I said, We'll have to wait and see.  I just hope you both are right.
Lambeth
ARC Support Staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 11:29:00 pm »

One thing I am worried about is Deadpool, since it isn't exactly the most mainstream comic.

Boomstick
ARC Support Staff

maddeer02
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 12:07:57 am »

Very interesting view

He basically says what I said, with a little more of a non prejudice view.
Lambeth
ARC Support Staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 12:15:38 am »

He breaks it down nicely.

Sammich!
King of the Servbots
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

WARNING: I am become derp, the destroyer of worlds

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 03:03:20 am »

Why I'm pissed off:

No, I would rather Marvel own Marvel.  It's an issue of principles with me.  I grew up on the company, and its products, and I don't want to see them butchered.

That. Marvel should be Marvel, run by Marvel, with only Marvel decisions. Since Disney owns Marvel, what they say goes. It might end up not being any different, but the idea that Marvel is under Disney is saddening. They were a fucking plateau of excellence for so damn long. Marvel and Disney rode through decades side by side (Marvel came 10 years after in 1933, but still), not above one another. Marvel brought an ass load of people through WWII! They were like gods of their own domain. But suddenly they decided that they'd become Disney's bitch-burrito. Disney created great movies but was not, will not, and could never be Marvel. Because only Marvel is Marvel.

Something else that agitates me is that Disney's buying out the planet. I'm waiting for Disney to buy out Microsoft and Apple and Jesus. So to have them buy out a company that I loved since I was in diapers is like an uppercut to the groin.

That's all just my opinion though. I feel strongly over it, but it's still just an opinion.

[/late night rant]

TheLastOutlaw
I calculated the odds of this succeeding against the odds I was doing something incredibly stupidů and I went ahead anyway.
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I have a hockey mask and a questionable moral code

outlaw_dr@hotmail.com Roadbuster roadbuster_99
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 09:01:12 am »

Fist let me preface this with the fact that I WAS a Marvel fan of long standing.

Marvel has been cruising down this road for a while now, I'm really not surprised they've sold themselves to a bigger company.

There was a period where Marvel WAS the best company in comics hands down, but that period has long been over.  The mid to late 90's glut of obvious poor management of their properties and money wasted (remember all the lame triple gatefold covers with holografix foil and embedded holograms for nothing milestones like issue 20 of some new series that was on the verge of tanking anyway?) led to their bankcrupcy and they haven't been the same company since.  They bled talent to DC and independant labels and then went about consistently destroying every franchise I had previously enjoyed (Let's make the Punisher a Ghost Rider clone!).  I don't care about the merger because I don't read their products anymore but as has been said, I can't see Disney tampering too much with someone that currently is making money.

Visit my Deviant Art page, home of Manic Depression: The Webcomic! http://thelastoutlaw.deviantart.com
Quote from: Dara
Mask, stapler, Machete.. The Last Outlaw: Like Jason, only more awesome, bitch.
Sammich!
King of the Servbots
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

WARNING: I am become derp, the destroyer of worlds

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2009, 06:06:41 pm »

I agree wholeheartedly that Marvel was on the brink of death. I knew they'd have to make some sort of choice, but I'd hoped it wasn't selling their business. And it's even worse since it's Disney they sold it to. Not that I hate Disney, but: See my previous post. Anyway, I would have preferred it if a group split off from Marvel and did their own thing. That way they could still call the shots and this thread wouldn't exist. XD They'd be small, yeah, but, like their predecessor, they could have grown.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: