The Zombie Hunters Forum: WE GO THERE.
October 01, 2014, 04:19:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Eat at Ed's Ale Shack and Grill!

Plastic forks are currently banned, we apologize for any inconvenience.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cthulu, he's that guy!  (Read 4646 times)
dudesomebody
Half-Life

the beatings will continue until moral improves!!

View Profile
« on: April 28, 2011, 10:07:26 pm »

Ok, I need the help of my fellow forum crazies one more time (big shock I know) this one you might find fun though. I know a guy who is convinced that h.p. Lovecraft's Cthulu is based on a real demon and, because of this reason, will have nothing to do with the his writting and cautions me to avoid it as well. This guy is not a bible thumper and is usually a cool guy, he is unfortunately prone to acts of great frustration.

I have searched the interwebs high and low but my weak net-fu hasn't given me anything I can show this person in hopes of proving to him that Cthulu is a work of fiction. Wikipedia isn't good enough for this guy and I was hopeing you could point me in a better direction. All I keep finding are websites that want to sell me the books and one very strange site of people that actually believe the books are real...probably shouldn't show him that one, he may lock himself in the basement.

Lastly, please be kind to my occasionally crazy friend, he means well and his crazy is usually appreciated, it is just weird sometimes....

AmadeusMaxwell
Zombie with Mad Elite Skills
Zombie Hunter
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Straight from the land that God forgot.

AmadeusMaxwell ZMES_Matt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 10:35:11 pm »

I hope I don't sound a bit too adversarial, but he's the one making the claim, what evidence does he have that H.P. Lovecraft's writing are based on anything more than fiction? If his work is based solely on fiction (which as far as I'm aware, it is) what proof would there even be to show that it's fiction? It seems like any physical evidence you find would be in his favor, not yours...unless he'd settle for someone just saying that it's fiction. Tongue

I really am curious what gave him that idea to begin with though; and even if demons were real, does he think reading H.P. Lovecraft gives it power or something, otherwise why avoid a simple story?

LordSappington
ARC Support Staff

Fookin' prawns

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 10:42:32 pm »

Dude, have you ever heard of the Bloop?

dudesomebody
Half-Life

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 10:56:55 pm »

@AmadeusMaxwell
That is...surprisingly sound, I wish I would have thought of that when he first brought it up. I guess I was busy being stunned by how stupid his comment was. As for if reading it gives it power, thats a philosophical argument (or however you spell it) I think best not ranted over the forum...this is more because I don't want the mods to give me a stern talking to more so than an unwillingness to discuss...Greg scares me...

@LaordSappington
I have heard of the Bloop, and the fact that it is about 1,000 or so miles away from one of the supposed locations of the sunken city Cthulu dwells in makes it creepy. Of course, then I remember the episode of the real ghostbusters where Peter fought Cthulu while riding a roller coaster and it doesn't seem as creepy.

AmadeusMaxwell
Zombie with Mad Elite Skills
Zombie Hunter
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Straight from the land that God forgot.

AmadeusMaxwell ZMES_Matt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 11:15:23 pm »

@AmadeusMaxwell
As for if reading it gives it power, thats a philosophical argument (or however you spell it) I think best not ranted over the forum...this is more because I don't want the mods to give me a stern talking to more so than an unwillingness to discuss...Greg scares me...
That's cool, I was a little hesitant to post that part, but I meant it as rhetoric as I didn't think you'd really know to that extent of what your friend's beliefs on it were, just something you may have wanted to ask him if it was brought up again.

Lash2828
Coolest Waffle in show
ARC Support Staff

I'm just that cool.

lash2828@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 11:50:25 pm »

I suggest we all convert to the fiction written by Sir Terry Pratchett.

"Lash, so pro that he can play TF2 on Atari."
Gromitooth
ARC Support Staff

If You Want To Get Out Alive. Run For Your Life.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 10:29:52 am »

Dude, have you ever heard of the Bloop?

Reminds me of the WOW Factor.

Truthfully I'm really not sure, maybe you should ask some of the selective cults from around the world that worship Cthulu. They really do exist. Why would they exist if not to worship something, the cults were apparently there BEFORE Lovecraft's book. This topic has a large dosage of controversy towards religion.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | [url
Dodom
Lead Milo Death Theorist
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Necrolicious

anarchostaliniste@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 01:06:16 pm »

I know some of these, but they introduced Cthulhu into their pantheon only after the Call of Cthulhu RPG was released, previously they were plain retardo-satanistic.
I specify retard, because there is an actual theologically sound satanistic philosophy (two main currents actually, plus Luciferianism, which is distinct from either) and it isn't "lol I be so rebel lololol."

ce_gray
ARC Support Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 01:49:50 pm »

I concur.  Yes, I am a smug bastard...

Is getting her butt kicked by psychology.
dudesomebody
Half-Life

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 02:10:22 pm »

I feel hesitant to ask but, who??

That's cool, I was a little hesitant to post that part, but I meant it as rhetoric as I didn't think you'd really know to that extent of what your friend's beliefs on it were, just something you may have wanted to ask him if it was brought up again.

Is cool man, no need to worry. I try to keep an open mind about stuff; as long as we don't all start a flame war (unlikely with this crowd). I just don't want the topic to become too religiously bent as this can occasionally cause problems. It has never caused a problem here, The Jenny's comic tends to attract more mature people I have noticed, I just don't want to be the guy that changed that.

I know some of these, but they introduced Cthulhu into their pantheon only after the Call of Cthulhu RPG was released, previously they were plain retardo-satanistic.
I specify retard, because there is an actual theologically sound satanistic philosophy (two main currents actually, plus Luciferianism, which is distinct from either) and it isn't "lol I be so rebel lololol."

This might be where he is getting his info from, it would explain why an other wise awesome guy went stupid on me.

Log!
Skooma Addict
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

THROW A BLANKET OVER IT!

Losmosquitos42@hotmail.com Losmosquitos42
View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 03:22:57 pm »

Next time you see this guy, just fart in his food.

When he's looking, when he's not looking, doesn't matter. Just right on his lunch. Drop the beef on that sucker.

At least, that's what I think.
dudesomebody
Half-Life

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 07:33:17 pm »

Nah, I reserve that for people I don't like. Like I said before, usually he is not so bad but every now and then he gets a really dumb idea lodged so deep in his head I have to almost literally take a crowbar to his skull to get it out. Otherwise nice guy though.

ce_gray
ARC Support Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 08:17:56 pm »

Think he was talking about you, somebody.

Is getting her butt kicked by psychology.
Gromitooth
ARC Support Staff

If You Want To Get Out Alive. Run For Your Life.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2011, 12:28:49 am »

There really should be some kind of Gordon Freeman Emote.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | [url
LordSappington
ARC Support Staff

Fookin' prawns

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2011, 12:59:27 am »

Or a penguin with a hacksaw

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: