The Zombie Hunters Forum: WE GO THERE.
September 01, 2014, 01:49:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welp, done all ma animal burnin', don't need this shit no more so gonna sell it on E-Bay.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hobbies that might pay off...  (Read 9353 times)
Grey Wolf
ARC Support Staff

I'll see you at Green Mountain...

sentinalgrafi
View Profile Email
« on: May 17, 2011, 02:06:06 am »

Do you have any hobbies that might actully be useful in a world overrun by zombies? You may not have even thought of any of them being useful...

I hunt and fish. So I can gather my own food, and handle a firearm.

I play paintball, so I know how to handle various situations that involve being sneaky, and or being ready to attack.

I just got into R/C cars. I could mount a small remote camera onto a car, and scout out a place before I move in.

Dinglemonkey....
Dodom
Lead Milo Death Theorist
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Necrolicious

anarchostaliniste@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 04:53:36 am »

All my art stuff taught me how to build stuff, so I can adapt and maintain a zombie-proof house better than if I didn't have the habit of working with my hands, and trade custom made things with other survivors.

Being a full-time nerd is also useful since I have a broader sprinkling of general knowledge than a non-nerd. (Though is it worthy of mention here? Who ISN'T a nerd??)

And I guess story making could come useful if I want to join with group of survivors, entertaining them could help being accepted.

Ricky S
Civillian Police

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 05:50:18 am »

I play warhammer. It is useful because it allows me to control armies in order to kill the hordes of zombies. It is useful because I am able to do something to stave off the boredom of living in a post apocalyptic world. It doesn't require electricity or anything so thats good.

"Stop biting me Mr Zombie"
Fiveofclubs
ARC Support Staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 06:19:31 am »

I love this thread topic because I feel usefule Smiley  Not everything is hobby related, more like skills I picked up and still use on weekends.

I target shoot, and do it somewhat competitively.  I have some gunsmithing skills (restocking, storing, trigger work, intalling sights, etc), I also reload ammo of various calibers.

My summer job for 10+ years was working with a contractor doing decks, painting, finishing basements, plumbing, electrical, additions, ect.

I've worked on small engines (mowers, generators, go carts) since I was a kid, can pretty much make one run.

I can pick locks (I only use my powers good....and cookies)

Mike
Five of Clubs
Dodom
Lead Milo Death Theorist
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Necrolicious

anarchostaliniste@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 07:42:45 am »

I play warhammer. It is useful because it allows me to control armies in order to kill the hordes of zombies. It is useful because I am able to do something to stave off the boredom of living in a post apocalyptic world. It doesn't require electricity or anything so thats good.

Also this:

(that's the boy who saved his little sister and himself from an angry moose using techniques he learned in WoW, if anyone forgot)

Ricky S
Civillian Police

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 08:13:18 am »

Also this:

(that's the boy who saved his little sister and himself from an angry moose using techniques he learned in WoW, if anyone forgot)

OMG really? That is epic!

"Stop biting me Mr Zombie"
Cheez
Voted most likely to hug.
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Rawra?

lcharters2@hotmail.com nihtgenga1990
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 09:09:43 am »

Well, there's my re-enactment, which has taught me how to fight a lot better and keeps me in decent shape (And it means I'm a lot better armed than I would be otherwise- even blunt, a broadsword or handaxe will fuck a skull up, and I could easily sharpen them). An offshoot of this is that I very much enjoy tinkering around with junk to make stuff like armour and weapons. I've made a barbecue, leather armour, clothes, knives, axes and various wooden things, and i'm going to make some scale armour soon. All useful things to be able to make. I'm also very DIY inclined in general, so shelter, barricades, etc should be shiny. I used to do archery and still have a couple of bows and some arrows, but I'm rather out of practise as there's nowhere round here where I can safely shoot. Also rather out of practise, but I've got a 1 star certificate with the British Canoe Union, so I know the basics of canoe and kayak use.

I joined the army cadets just to learn how to shoot so I'd be ready for the zombpocalypse, but in two and a half years I shot three times, so I sodded off.

Quote from: mudmonkey
Cheez is fuckin hawt with teh boobehs.
Quote from: Sammich!
Cheez is also a raptor...pirate. A raptor pirate. Playing chess.
WARNING- If you send me a PM with no subject, I WILL NOT REPLY.
Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 09:18:37 am »

I know how to cook, and from what I've heard people need food and enjoy eating!

My photography tumblr page Skype: Yutrzenika
Gromitooth
ARC Support Staff

If You Want To Get Out Alive. Run For Your Life.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 09:24:05 am »

Do you have any hobbies that might actully be useful in a world overrun by zombies? You may not have even thought of any of them being useful...
I hunt and fish. So I can gather my own food, and handle a firearm.
I play paintball, so I know how to handle various situations that involve being sneaky, and or being ready to attack.
I just got into R/C cars. I could mount a small remote camera onto a car, and scout out a place before I move in.

Truthfully all coming back to one simple fact. You are very practical and intuitive when it comes down to it.

Scouts, so basic survival skills and training in basic weaponry.
Athletics club, I am one of the best runners in my school (Probably from running from annoying idiots or bullies*
Warhammer so same as above.
The linguist club, I would be able to speak two languages and read Latin, which would come in useful for other survivors.
CCF, more intricate survival training, medical training and a wide variety of firearms.

Looking back it seems I do a lot of stuff. Or maybe not enough....

EDIT: Same as Yut.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | [url
--Pappa Cricco--
Cricco was here
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I think I may of snapped...

done_done_onto_the_next_one@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 10:37:13 am »

Well, there's my re-enactment, which has taught me how to fight a lot better and keeps me in decent shape (And it means I'm a lot better armed than I would be otherwise- even blunt, a broadsword or handaxe will fuck a skull up, and I could easily sharpen them). An offshoot of this is that I very much enjoy tinkering around with junk to make stuff like armour and weapons. I've made a barbecue, leather armour, clothes, knives, axes and various wooden things, and i'm going to make some scale armour soon. All useful things to be able to make. I'm also very DIY inclined in general, so shelter, barricades, etc should be shiny. I used to do archery and still have a couple of bows and some arrows, but I'm rather out of practise as there's nowhere round here where I can safely shoot. Also rather out of practise, but I've got a 1 star certificate with the British Canoe Union, so I know the basics of canoe and kayak use.

I joined the army cadets just to learn how to shoot so I'd be ready for the zombpocalypse, but in two and a half years I shot three times, so I sodded off.

scratch the canoe bit and replace army cadets with scouts and add in the warhammer from ricky as well as walking over an 6 miles a day, excluding goiong to pick kid up and shopping and general molding around, and doodling maps of the local areas and you got me.
Also started homebrewing booze, good for trading.

Cheez
Voted most likely to hug.
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Rawra?

lcharters2@hotmail.com nihtgenga1990
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 10:24:03 am »

Oh yeah, I forgot about the brewing, good point. As for walking, does that count as a skill? If so, yeah. Me too. Or at least i was back when i was working, and I'm no less in shape now.

Quote from: mudmonkey
Cheez is fuckin hawt with teh boobehs.
Quote from: Sammich!
Cheez is also a raptor...pirate. A raptor pirate. Playing chess.
WARNING- If you send me a PM with no subject, I WILL NOT REPLY.
Chipz
Civillian

blarg zombies meet my boomstick

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 12:24:32 pm »

I think only a few are really hobbies like clubs said a few of these are more useful skills than hobbies. But still the ones that are just skills I still get to use every now and then.

I have been cooking all my life.

I was in boy scouts for like 8 years that taught me all kinds of things like rope and other stuff.

I hunt and fish often enough, as well as target shooting at least once a week so i stay sharp.

Also i have been practicing martial arts since i was about 6 or 7 and still spar with friends weekly.

Also i worked in a construction company one summer and a roofing company another.

Also I fix my cars, and my family and close friends cars for them. 
--Pappa Cricco--
Cricco was here
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I think I may of snapped...

done_done_onto_the_next_one@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 04:14:16 pm »

add fishing onto mine too, I can also gut fish.

Outlander
Half-Life

Australian Zombie Hunter

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 06:26:08 pm »

Well being from a small town with not alot to do i find hobbies for myself,
I can:
*Catch and clean fish and small animals
*Urban Explore and Hide Very well *best hiding spot from security is right under their nose*
*Some home entry * Breaking doors or weak spots, Metal roofs with those Tech screws come out and then you just need to find the manhole in the roof and presto instant house.
*Manual Labour *Working and building things, not all that well but in a pinch could be handy*
*Earth Moving *My dad has been a truck driver for years so i have some skills in large machines, trucks and the god aweful split gearbox.
* Hunting and Camping
Theres probly more but i dont know im sure if i got my hands on a big rig it would be a prime target for raiders.

He thinks his job is to be Bad Ass, And he excels at his position.
Synaster
ARC Support Staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 12:03:59 am »

I was actually thinking about this earlier today. Weird. But I don't really seem to have any worthwhile hobbies that doesn't involve electricity. I can wash dishes! With a family of seven, it seems like a hobby. I can make anklets/bracelets/toe-rings/etc out of embroidery thread and we can be somewhat fashionable while fighting off hordes of zeds. I can take care of chickens, but that wouldn't do much good if zombies decide to eat them. I can also stock "I'm sorry your parents/sister/brother/child/friend/cat/goldfish got eaten" sympathy cards.

The only way I could be useful is to just assist other people with what they're good at, provided it doesn't involve a cardio workout. XP
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: