The Zombie Hunters Forum: WE GO THERE.
September 18, 2014, 03:43:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mah arms are scarf!!  Dey go, "WEE WOO WEE WOO!"

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The government's got your back!  (Read 8494 times)
DubstepDisciple
Zombie

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 09:58:18 pm »

As much as I support your zeal Outlander what about the logistics around that? Ammo is heavy and ultimately if your barricade yourself in a building your relatively forced to cut your way back out unless humans can develop the ability to fly. What about blocking those lower floors? That would require to be a long standing barricade at least welded metal which is hardly the quietest activity nor is it easy on the workers. 4 seems to be rather unrealistic here, especially with barricading yourself in the upper floors of the building. How many liters of water do people need every day just to drink? Its these living challenges that we don't have to deal with in everyday that will prove a challenge to anyone who hasn't actually had to live off the land or limited resources in which if they overused they went without. Not saying I have just saying the perspective would be necessary.

As for government competency it all really matters on how quickly the governments are willing to respond to the threat. It becomes obvious in any kind of zombie outbreak that they are not there just to hug people. Zombies will be violent, they will eat you. Cops when they start seeing people biting and ripping flesh off of uninfected they need to be able to pull the trigger even if they think that person is just insane. I could see why military deployment is typically useless as in most media by the time the military can actually mobilise the damage is done and the society is broken. After that infantry and other personnel in the hot zone just become more footsoldiers for the infection. If the military has the intelligence that it should at that point then it should concern itself with evacuation instead of suppression. Zombies need humans to make more zombies, take out the humans and your zombies are capped. From there the infection becomes stagnant and if necessary the perimeter can be maintained until the zombies just die on their own or at that point controlled scientific observations could be conducted to determine everything about them that we only speculate on now.

The main thing is to take out the human factor or the breeding material for the virus. All viruses multiply shamelessly while absorbing all resources in that direction. Humans themselves while not directly sustaining zombies do sustain the zombie infection. Remove the resources(humans) and the virus will die.

"Reason has always existed but not always in a reasonable form." -Karl Marx
Dodom
Lead Milo Death Theorist
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Necrolicious

anarchostaliniste@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2011, 05:06:35 am »

I suggest you create a new thread about global zombie containment/elimination strategies, I think there is too much potential discussion to be had for a simple tangeant in another thread.

Edit: And an update on the original topic: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-13713798 The Leicestershire City Counsil has admitted not being ready for zombies.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 11:48:33 am by Dodom » Logged

RiceGuard
ARC Support Staff

Obnoxiously Righteous Savior - RiceGuard

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2011, 09:08:58 pm »

Chinese Crackdown on Tienanmen Square was like a cake walk to the PLA... a Zombie Outbreak would just force the PLA to wipe everyone out.
Then they be like... "Zombie... wah?... Silly Amelikans Zombies don't exist!"
Grey Wolf
ARC Support Staff

I'll see you at Green Mountain...

sentinalgrafi
View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2011, 11:07:10 pm »

It's going to take too long for government officals to come up with a full list of symptoms one shows before turnning.

Dinglemonkey....
DubstepDisciple
Zombie

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2011, 12:05:44 am »

I'm sorry but zombies don't ever seem really hard to spot unless they are among other zombies and soldiers have a way of boiling things down to basics real easy. If the person does not react or otherwise move in a direction except to bite you then unload. I never understand why soldiers are always giving commands repeatedly to these zombies, they disobey and he never pops even a single shot off. Wtf?

sangrebloom
Wastelander

I believe in pants

sangrebloom@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2011, 12:51:40 am »

that's what makes the movies interesting, at least for me I always end up thinking "NO that's a bad Idea!"

like putting the zombie's head in a cooler, I learned that was a bad idea...
Grey Wolf
ARC Support Staff

I'll see you at Green Mountain...

sentinalgrafi
View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2011, 08:35:49 pm »

I wonder if you could hold a zombies head in a microwave oven long enough to make it explode?

Dinglemonkey....
sangrebloom
Wastelander

I believe in pants

sangrebloom@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2011, 11:16:21 pm »

I'm sure something awesome would happen, I know that chicken eggs explode in a spectacular way in the micro, the worst that could happen is if it turns to frozen ground beef turns into when left on high for too long.
Ricky S
Civillian Police

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 12:55:31 am »

that's what makes the movies interesting, at least for me I always end up thinking "NO that's a bad Idea!"

like putting the zombie's head in a cooler, I learned that was a bad idea...

When/where did they put a zombie's head in a cooler? Was that the end scenes of Dawn of the dead 2004?

Movies really have to have stupid events otherwise they would be pretty boring. Who wants to watch 2 hours of soldiers efficiently killing zombies?

"Stop biting me Mr Zombie"
Outlander
Half-Life

Australian Zombie Hunter

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2011, 03:21:00 am »

I'm sorry but zombies don't ever seem really hard to spot unless they are among other zombies and soldiers have a way of boiling things down to basics real easy. If the person does not react or otherwise move in a direction except to bite you then unload. I never understand why soldiers are always giving commands repeatedly to these zombies, they disobey and he never pops even a single shot off. Wtf?

Simple answer to silly question, though as a soldier your trained to kill but what if what you have to kill is a little girl? Would in my eyes make it a harder target to put down but thats MHO

He thinks his job is to be Bad Ass, And he excels at his position.
Dodom
Lead Milo Death Theorist
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Necrolicious

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2011, 04:04:21 am »

Simple answer to silly question, though as a soldier your trained to kill but what if what you have to kill is a little girl? Would in my eyes make it a harder target to put down but thats MHO

Soldiers are human indeed, and add to that that they aren't - and shouldn't be - encouraged to skip the chain of command and start shoting civilians without it being absolutely necessary on a gut feeling. If they each decided of their own individual criteria to shoot zombies, it'd be chaos, and all that army discipline stuff exists mostly to avoid it.
If the chain of command becomes disrupted by the zombies eating the commanders, the soldiers will lose a great part of their efficiency, because it's their organisation that makes the army efficient.

sangrebloom
Wastelander

I believe in pants

sangrebloom@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2011, 06:14:02 pm »

When/where did they put a zombie's head in a cooler? Was that the end scenes of Dawn of the dead 2004?

Movies really have to have stupid events otherwise they would be pretty boring. Who wants to watch 2 hours of soldiers efficiently killing zombies?

LOL yeah, that really stuck in my mind about that movie, If it was me I would of dumped out the head and let it sink. and I probably would of stayed on the boat and not tried to find land.
DubstepDisciple
Zombie

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2011, 10:42:55 pm »

Soldiers are human indeed, and add to that that they aren't - and shouldn't be - encouraged to skip the chain of command and start shoting civilians without it being absolutely necessary on a gut feeling. If they each decided of their own individual criteria to shoot zombies, it'd be chaos, and all that army discipline stuff exists mostly to avoid it.
If the chain of command becomes disrupted by the zombies eating the commanders, the soldiers will lose a great part of their efficiency, because it's their organisation that makes the army efficient.

The real commands for any military operation are never done in the combat zone. If your in the combat zone it doesn't matter what rank you are they are deeming you not valuable enough for them to keep away from the situation. Also even if we are using a hypothetical forward operations base theory, if soldiers do anything well its retreating. If zombies reach ground commanders then chances are there are very little soldiers at all left.

This is also ignoring the fact that soldiers are now suddenly the most valuable individuals in the world, armed to the teeth and with plenty of munitions stored on their bases. What is stopping entire detachments from going rogue and merely turning into survivalist strongarms? Humans are fallible in that respect also. When it comes to the continuity of the species I could see people doing things, making decisions and acting in ways they would never have otherwise.

Dodom
Lead Milo Death Theorist
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Necrolicious

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2011, 05:18:24 am »

This is also ignoring the fact that soldiers are now suddenly the most undesirable individuals in the world, [...] What is stopping entire detachments from going rogue and merely turning into survivalist strongarms?

Fixed for internal consistency. Army thugs terrorising civilians for their personal benefit are a threat to the species, not an asset, and if you fantasise on becoming such a little armed bully, know that the bullet that kills you will most likely come from behind - from actual soldiers you thought you represented. They weren't taught hutu good, tutsi bad from their birth, when you find some lone girl, shooting her in the kneecaps, raping her and leaving her to the zombies will NOT make you a hero to them.
Fact is, if the army really does collapses, what most soldiers will do is go home and find their family, not pretend to be several thousands of individual Rambos living out their teenager fantasies. They'll probably grab equipment on the way out, base might not be so plentiful after they leave. As to the ones who do act like little boys' wet dream, in the end... they'll cause immense damage, fight each others as much as the civilian enemy and the zombie annoyance (in that order), and if society comes back on its feet, they'll land in prison and never come out again.
My father was an army thug. It ended in dishonourable discharge. The army does not like army thugs. It tolerates them to a point as cannon fodder can come in handy, but there's a level of unwarranted sense of entitlement that becomes a liability to any organisation.

P.S.: Chain of command and chain of supplies run parallel. You no longer receive orders and think you're now the king of the hill? You no longer receive ammunition or food either! And organisation does mean that in a combat situation, the soldiers know their job well enough not to need ridiculous micromanagement; if you think that means you could dump them in a situation without a common objective and expect the same result, you should watch less TV.

DubstepDisciple
Zombie

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2011, 05:56:13 pm »

Soldiers are trained to kill, that training they can pass on, those skills are no different then a carpenter, a farmer or a tracker's. I don't understand how my post was misconstrued in such a perverted way but the point is that a lot of young men in the military aren't so noble and what is stopping noble soldiers from taking their families to those military bases and locking them down. Preventing anyone else from gaining their sanctuary and draining their food supplies. This is survival we are talking about. Morality and ethics will become entirely optional and most of the time a luxury people cannot afford. In a world where everything has a set amount that nobody knows it can lead to drastic measures.

Your also right about the fact that such brigands may self implode and the truth is that they all will eventually as you cannot survive on stealing and strong arming alone. That was why my plan involved reaching my sanctuary as fast as possible and holding it from whoever would take it. Once the only things holding the army together are promises from politicians who haven't seen a day of fighting in their lives I have little doubt as to how loyal our armed forces will remain. Sure, many may help their individual families and protect them behind their chain link fences but I don't see them being too interested with anyone outside.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: