The Zombie Hunters Forum: WE GO THERE.
October 31, 2014, 11:53:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No.  I fuck ON.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Volley Fire  (Read 6037 times)
anyman82
Half-Life

The guy who wanders in occasionally

View Profile Email
« on: June 13, 2011, 01:02:15 pm »

I was just thinking, volley fire might actually be a fairly effective way of dealing with oncoming hoards.

Example of what I'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1csr0dxalpI (Skip to about 2:45)

It would take them down in waves, instead of one at a time, giving the squad more stopping power and knocking back the zeds behind the front more effectively.

Let us go singing as far as we go: the road will be less tedious. -Virgil-
Ricky S
Civillian Police

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 12:52:26 am »

The great thing about modern guns is that you dont even have to volley fire. In that youtube clip they had a single round before having to reload. Modern guns on average have 30 rounds in a magazine. I do agree that lining up in a line is beneficial as is aiming before firing each shot. The idea in World war Z of using a line of soldiers with semi automatic rifles is a good one. It is probably the most efficient way of dealing with zombie hordes in the open.

"Stop biting me Mr Zombie"
Synaster
ARC Support Staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 02:47:23 am »

Yeah, it's a good idea with modern guns, provided there's enough guns, ammo and people. If you and the other guys are all in a line like that, you'd better make sure someone's covering your back or that zeds can't sneak up on you.
Fiveofclubs
ARC Support Staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 11:33:38 am »

Excellent movie.  Volley is very effective with less accurate or slower rate of fire weapons.  It also promotes 2 key factors, shooting and combat discipline.  When facing an advance, and concentrating on commands troops are less likely to break and run.  That was a strength of the British forces all the way through WWI.  As for killing more of an advancing horde I agree that massed fire (tightly packed groups of shooters firing independantly) should be very effective.

Back in the early days of paintball my freinds and I would use volley fire, then paintball guns advanced to where increasing the "paint to air ratio" around your target became more effective.

Mike
Five of Clubs
Ricky S
Civillian Police

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 01:53:59 am »

I guess for farmers volleyfire might be a necessity against hordes of zombies. The military wouldn't have to worry about it though. Discipline and training is definately the key to winning any combat.

Outlander
Half-Life

Australian Zombie Hunter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 03:26:51 am »

Pepper potting could be useful also like when moving. Be able to cut down zeds as 1 half cover your movement and then you cover their movement.

He thinks his job is to be Bad Ass, And he excels at his position.
sangrebloom
Wastelander

I believe in pants

sangrebloom@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 06:21:29 pm »

I dunno, I think that worked so well because the people have circulatory systems and blood, zeds would need either kneecaps shot out or heads...
SpookyElectric
Zombie

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 07:51:38 pm »

isn't world war z a good example of a volley fire? When Todd (the soldier guy from Yonkers) talks about how they went to New Mexico and set up a base and had rows of two that held off hundreds if not thousands. Their training was firing on the range with a metronome. A monotonous and rhythmic firing in single fire.

When the past is gone and all that is left is tomorrow...Where will you be in the present.
Fiveofclubs
ARC Support Staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 09:21:00 pm »

yes, and part of the reason for that was to keep them shooting slow well aimed shots.

Mike
Five of Clubs
Ricky S
Civillian Police

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 09:30:19 pm »

isn't world war z a good example of a volley fire? When Todd (the soldier guy from Yonkers) talks about how they went to New Mexico and set up a base and had rows of two that held off hundreds if not thousands. Their training was firing on the range with a metronome. A monotonous and rhythmic firing in single fire.

Yea I mentioned that before. It definately a good example of volley fire.

Outlander
Half-Life

Australian Zombie Hunter

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 01:52:42 am »

I must find this it sounds good.

Ricky S
Civillian Police

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 02:47:05 am »

I must find this it sounds good.

Its the only zombie book that has ever reached mainstream success. They are making a movie for it currently which should be good. The author is Max Brooks. Its a pretty good read. Although some of the things are a bit off the majority of the content is pretty realistic.

Outlander
Half-Life

Australian Zombie Hunter

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 02:49:09 am »

Sounds good  book store hear i go

--Pappa Cricco--
Cricco was here
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I think I may of snapped...

done_done_onto_the_next_one@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 06:21:15 am »

I think 2 lines would be better second damn open fire a reload time later meaning one line is still firing while the others reload being second line would be able to cover first line during reload and visa versa.

anyman82
Half-Life

The guy who wanders in occasionally

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 09:58:42 am »

I think 2 lines would be better second damn open fire a reload time later meaning one line is still firing while the others reload being second line would be able to cover first line during reload and visa versa.
Agreed. I think.

Let us go singing as far as we go: the road will be less tedious. -Virgil-
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: