The Zombie Hunters Forum: WE GO THERE.
July 29, 2014, 08:57:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Do you want me to drive?  'Cause I can drive y' know.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Volley Fire  (Read 5293 times)
Ricky S
Civillian Police

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 10:13:40 am »

I think 2 lines would be better second damn open fire a reload time later meaning one line is still firing while the others reload being second line would be able to cover first line during reload and visa versa.

That is true but I wouldn't be all that worried if it was the slow zombie. There would be plenty of time to reload. Plus you would be firing single shot so you have 30 rounds before you need to reload and some people would shoot faster than others. So you would still get constant firing rate.

"Stop biting me Mr Zombie"
anyman82
Half-Life

The guy who wanders in occasionally

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 10:20:32 am »

That is true but I wouldn't be all that worried if it was the slow zombie. There would be plenty of time to reload. Plus you would be firing single shot so you have 30 rounds before you need to reload and some people would shoot faster than others. So you would still get constant firing rate.
Hmm, I'd have to disagree about having a single line. One of the biggest mistakes you can make with crawlers is to underestimate them. If we're talking about a hundred or two, then you'd be fine. But if we're talking Yonkers numbers (For those who haven't read WWZ, basically the entire population of NYC.) any break in fire, even if it's a few seconds to reload, will translate to the hoard getting closer, thicker, and more spread out. Repeat that several times and you're overrun.

Let us go singing as far as we go: the road will be less tedious. -Virgil-
sangrebloom
Wastelander

I believe in pants

sangrebloom@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 10:42:51 pm »

I would try to have some flame thrower action...
Outlander
Half-Life

Australian Zombie Hunter

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2011, 03:27:14 am »

Zombies in pitfalls :)kinda awesome idea, slows them down and keeps em trapped and i mean its a better defence than sharks with fricken lazers on their heads

He thinks his job is to be Bad Ass, And he excels at his position.
Cheez
Voted most likely to hug.
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Rawra?

lcharters2@hotmail.com nihtgenga1990
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2011, 04:12:50 am »

Depends on how many there are. If there's enough, they'll fill up the pit and the rest will just shamble over the top of them.

Quote from: mudmonkey
Cheez is fuckin hawt with teh boobehs.
Quote from: Sammich!
Cheez is also a raptor...pirate. A raptor pirate. Playing chess.
WARNING- If you send me a PM with no subject, I WILL NOT REPLY.
Ricky S
Civillian Police

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2011, 06:22:30 am »

Hmm, I'd have to disagree about having a single line. One of the biggest mistakes you can make with crawlers is to underestimate them. If we're talking about a hundred or two, then you'd be fine. But if we're talking Yonkers numbers (For those who haven't read WWZ, basically the entire population of NYC.) any break in fire, even if it's a few seconds to reload, will translate to the hoard getting closer, thicker, and more spread out. Repeat that several times and you're overrun.

Thicker and more spread out doesnt make sense Huh? Yonkers was completely retarded. They spent more time digging trenches than they did setting up good firing positions. Towards the end of the book when they start using the firing line to kill zombies I believe it was a single line of soldiers. After you have finished reloading you will simply kill them and push them back and they will not have gained any ground.

anyman82
Half-Life

The guy who wanders in occasionally

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2011, 09:30:41 am »

Thicker and more spread out... Hmm, admittedly not the best of terms to use. Imagine a Tsunami. It spreads out as it hits land, but the massive amounts of water behind it keep it just as deep and powerful as always (Until it runs out, of course). I wasn't advocating Yonkers as a model of how to deal with zeds. Good god that was stupidly managed. XD

I was talking about firing by ranks in this case. If you're all firing independently in semi-auto like in WWZ one line is fine.

Let us go singing as far as we go: the road will be less tedious. -Virgil-
Cheez
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Rawra?

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2011, 04:35:12 am »

If I remember correctly, in WWZ they used a double rank- one shooting, one waiting. When the shooter ran out of ammo, they'd swap places with the guy behind them, reload and wait for their replacement to swap out. Of course, if you were facing a massive horde you could have the front rank kneel and the second fire over their heads.

Jetraymongoose
The Waffle King!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Time Lord

markjohnson_303@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2011, 06:17:37 pm »

Yeah, later on in WWZ they have two lines. They also have vehicles full of ammo for their custom rifles they built and people waiting to give them more ammo. They also had somebody who would tap them out and switch out with them. It worked in the book, and if you could really keep up the ammo and the slow speed, it'd be good, but you'd have to make sure they are only coming from one direction if its in a line. I think actually in the book they had a large square formed as zombies were coming from all sides, though I may be wrong on that one, I haven't read the book in a year or so.

All of time and space, anywhere and everywhere, any star that ever was. Where do you want to start?
Ricky S
Civillian Police

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2011, 06:58:57 pm »

Yeah, later on in WWZ they have two lines. They also have vehicles full of ammo for their custom rifles they built and people waiting to give them more ammo. They also had somebody who would tap them out and switch out with them. It worked in the book, and if you could really keep up the ammo and the slow speed, it'd be good, but you'd have to make sure they are only coming from one direction if its in a line. I think actually in the book they had a large square formed as zombies were coming from all sides, though I may be wrong on that one, I haven't read the book in a year or so.

No, you are right on that. They made a box formation and just plinked away at the zombie walking towards them. Although now that I think about it wouldnt a circle be more effective if they are coming from every direction? Considering that the corners of the box would be the weakest point.

Jetraymongoose
The Waffle King!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Time Lord

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2011, 07:17:18 pm »

No, you are right on that. They made a box formation and just plinked away at the zombie walking towards them. Although now that I think about it wouldnt a circle be more effective if they are coming from every direction? Considering that the corners of the box would be the weakest point.

They probably had somebody on the corner watching outwards.

xoox
     o   o
     o   o
     xoox   

Like that where the x's look diagonally. Also, imagine a better diagram then that...     

All of time and space, anywhere and everywhere, any star that ever was. Where do you want to start?
sangrebloom
Wastelander

I believe in pants

sangrebloom@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2011, 12:56:40 am »

If people where out in the open in a caravan, a circle would be the best bet, it worked for people heading west, it should work with Zombies too
Cheez
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Rawra?

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2011, 05:05:38 pm »

A circle would be better for shooting, a square would be easier to make from a group marching in column. I guess that's probably why Brooks went with it.

Jetraymongoose
The Waffle King!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Time Lord

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2011, 08:00:33 pm »

I thought they were going East? They ran behind the rockies (west coast) and hid.

sangrebloom
Wastelander

I believe in pants

sangrebloom@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2011, 10:45:55 pm »

huh? I was thinking historically, when pioneers came West from the East in covered wagons, they would form circles at night and make camp in the middle as a defensible position against wild animals or other people.

but now your statement has me questioning how much I actually remember from grade school....
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: