The Zombie Hunters Forum: WE GO THERE.
August 21, 2014, 09:59:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: But I didn't mean to...

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would the social order still exist?  (Read 1591 times)
Grey Wolf
ARC Support Staff

I'll see you at Green Mountain...

sentinalgrafi
View Profile Email
« on: July 10, 2011, 03:18:00 am »

This has been a thought floating around in my head for a long while. The idea being…

Will certain social norms like Class which dictates social status, especially in older cultures where these norms are still a major part of the society still apply?

Example: To spite defending a small village from an incoming horde of the dead. You’re still  “just “ a fisherman…

Dinglemonkey....
Dodom
Lead Milo Death Theorist
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Necrolicious

anarchostaliniste@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 05:13:39 am »

I think there would be an even steeper social order than normal, but that it wouldn't obligatorily be the same as before.

Who cares if you had ten billions in a bank when banks no longer exists? If your only skill is to buy and sell stock, you won't be mister popular.
Some of the poor would be better off: minimum wage guy who has experience with every manual job ever would have the most immediately valuable knowledge, and by the time more people learn those skills, his place in the food chain is secure. Those who are poor due to psychosocial problems (mental illness, timidity, social inadaptation, etc.) would be even poorer, regardless of what they can actually contribute. Being capable is one thing, convincing others that you are is another.
For the "middle class", the value of each job will depend on supply and demand, as it does now, and even more so; in a regular village a doctor would be very valuable, but if the village was hosting a medicine convention at the moment of the apocalypse and you have 50 doctors, they might not be viewed as that precious.

Fiveofclubs
ARC Support Staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 07:19:48 am »

I don't think it would be much different than throughout human history.  Peasants will be peasants and those willing and able to organize, manipulate, subjugate, and/or lead them will rise to the top to the social order.

Mike
Five of Clubs
Jetraymongoose
The Waffle King!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Time Lord

markjohnson_303@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 09:48:44 am »

I feel like it could be more reversed, almost like they talk about it in World War Z, where the people who were "peasants" before, are now the higher ups because they have the skills that people need.

Sure, in let's say a small village, a doctor is still really high up, but so is let's say a carpenter, or workmen who know how to lay bricks and do stuff like that. I think social order would still be there, but for the most part it will be different than it is now.

All of time and space, anywhere and everywhere, any star that ever was. Where do you want to start?
DubstepDisciple
Zombie

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 08:29:37 pm »

Well we also have to factor in the possibility that the richest of the rich may have private security or any number of insurance policies like underground bunkers etc etc. But other then that money will become pointless as the best system we will have will be a barter system and that's based solely on the fact that people will honour their trade and not strongarm their business partners at a later date.

As for the traditional low, middle and upper class system it will largely collapse and then the new system wil be whoever has the most abled bodied individuals that it can use to establish whatever rules it wants if it wants to settle an area. What comes to mind is similar to what we saw in The Book of Eli and that town, run by a single man and his private militia of illiterates. Now maybe not to that extreme but we saw the whole town turn on him as his private army was whittled away to one man with a shotgun.

Travelling alone has benefits but it makes you the most vulnerable as a traveller.

"Reason has always existed but not always in a reasonable form." -Karl Marx
Stan
Carbonite Dreamer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

booty butt booty butt booty butt cheeks

mogley22@msn.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 12:26:53 am »

I would suddenly be freinds with the dude who stashed the most cheese strings...

If you're gonna do that shit, do it about one of those ontario elections that always end in the cops chasing a rapist around a tim hortons or some shit.
Dethklok
Civillian

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 01:52:41 am »

Zombies are all equal.
Stan
Carbonite Dreamer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

booty butt booty butt booty butt cheeks

mogley22@msn.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 02:11:01 am »

Zombies is good eatin.

If you're gonna do that shit, do it about one of those ontario elections that always end in the cops chasing a rapist around a tim hortons or some shit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: