The Zombie Hunters Forum: WE GO THERE.
October 31, 2014, 09:08:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: No.  I fuck ON.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stinky, but zombie free!  (Read 5093 times)
Dodom
Lead Milo Death Theorist
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Necrolicious

anarchostaliniste@hotmail.com
View Profile
« on: August 10, 2011, 05:06:36 pm »

A question to the public!
Sewers?

One of the few weird places I never played in as a child was sewers, so I don't know how far can one go in there. I don't imagine it to be as easy to walk as in Ninja Turtles, but is it usually feasible? In case of zombies, could someone walk under a zombie-infested street safely and out of their sight, or are they too likely to run into a too narrow passage and have to turn back/get out/get lost? Is it possible only under some cities? How about suburbs?

anyman82
Half-Life

The guy who wanders in occasionally

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 06:00:57 pm »

Sewers are way too unsanitary. (And sanitation is WAY more important after the apocalypse.) Maintenance tunnels are your best bet for underground. Dryer, cleaner, and more easily secured (Few to no manholes and no street drains). Many are also wired for lighting already, so it would be relatively easy to hook the system up to a generator.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 06:02:51 pm by anyman82 » Logged

Let us go singing as far as we go: the road will be less tedious. -Virgil-
AmadeusMaxwell
Zombie with Mad Elite Skills
Zombie Hunter
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Straight from the land that God forgot.

AmadeusMaxwell ZMES_Matt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 06:04:42 pm »

I'm not sure about sewers, but I know a little about storm drains. I lived in a suburban area, and the creek directly in front of my friend's house is one spot where it emptied to. It had about a 5' internal diameter, and it ran underneath every street large enough to warrant storm drains; smaller streets that dead ended had little tunnels going to them only about 3' in diameter. We played around in them quite a bit, just seeing how far they would go. We considered playing pranks with them by chucking fireworks out of the openings in the streets, as it would be doubtful people would ever realize where it came from, but we never did.

It could very easily be used to escape zombies, but there was usually some amount of water standing in them, and lots of very nasty creatures living there too...I guess it's better than having your brains eaten. I'd be surprised to find any zombies down there, I'd be more worried about where you decided to exit at, you can't exactly get a great view without just sticking your head up.

Ricky S
Civillian Police

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 10:56:15 pm »

I played in storm waters drains. Most of the time me and my friend just hung around the entrance and pretended we were cool kids(we were about 15 at the time). Then one day we decided to make a proper go of it. We both got a torch put boots on and tied string to a tree at the entrance and entered. It was so dark inside. It was pretty difficult walking and without the torches you would be able to see nothing. There were a couple of rats that ran away as soon as they saw the light. We went as far as the string allowed which was about 100m.

I would not want to go through drains or sewers in a zombie apocalypse. There may be no zombies in there but even if there is one they are a huge threat. There is a limited path you can run away on. It is dark and you may miss a zombie submerged in water or down another pipe. And as AmadeusMaxwell said you cant see what is on the other side. I for one dont want to just pop my head up in a random street. Remember dawn of the dead? Those zombies would have attacked them as soon as they opened the manhole.

I would rather face 100 zombies in the open than 1 in the sewers.

"Stop biting me Mr Zombie"
LordSappington
ARC Support Staff

Fookin' prawns

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 11:42:18 pm »

All the storm drains I played in were way too small. We had to crouch to walk, you couldn't lay down very well, they had the potential to flood, and they carried sound too well.
I'm sure they would make zombie travel extremely difficult, but really, it'd be the most terrifying place I can think of.
Also, they'd be too narrow to swing a weapon, and gunfire would both have the potential to ricochet wildly, and would almost certainly blow your ear drums out.
Now I want to go explore those again...

Log!
Skooma Addict
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

THROW A BLANKET OVER IT!

Losmosquitos42@hotmail.com Losmosquitos42
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 08:33:43 am »

WHY DO I KEEP COMING BACK TO THIS THREAD!?

*Runs away flailing before having another panic attack*

At least, that's what I think.
Stan
Carbonite Dreamer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

booty butt booty butt booty butt cheeks

mogley22@msn.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 02:29:39 pm »

Ive played enough LEft 4 Dead 2 to know that the sewers are a bad idea.

Fucking smokers..

If you're gonna do that shit, do it about one of those ontario elections that always end in the cops chasing a rapist around a tim hortons or some shit.
Grey Wolf
ARC Support Staff

I'll see you at Green Mountain...

sentinalgrafi
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 12:58:00 am »

I'm kinda worried about the prospect of homeless people getting infected and dying down there. Ive heard that at any one time there can be up to 300 or more people living in tunnels and sewers.

Dinglemonkey....
Ricky S
Civillian Police

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 07:59:13 am »

I'm kinda worried about the prospect of homeless people getting infected and dying down there. Ive heard that at any one time there can be up to 300 or more people living in tunnels and sewers.

Thats actually quite scary. There really shouldn't be so many homeless people in this day and age. But as to them getting infected they are most likely the first to be infected in an outbreak. They would be in open areas and completely exposed. Also depending on how smart the zombies are you wouldn't notice anything as they numbers swell through homeless people. The idea of facing 300 or more zombies in tunnels is horrifying.

anyman82
Half-Life

The guy who wanders in occasionally

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 10:13:51 am »

Thats actually quite scary. There really shouldn't be so many homeless people in this day and age. But as to them getting infected they are most likely the first to be infected in an outbreak. They would be in open areas and completely exposed. Also depending on how smart the zombies are you wouldn't notice anything as they numbers swell through homeless people. The idea of facing 300 or more zombies in tunnels is horrifying.
I'm thinking the Parisian catacombs in WWZ... *Shudders*

Let us go singing as far as we go: the road will be less tedious. -Virgil-
Ricky S
Civillian Police

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 08:07:48 pm »

I'm thinking the Parisian catacombs in WWZ... *Shudders*

Whats worse was North Korea (I think) their entire population was locked under ground. Imagine the parisian catacombs and times that by a million.

FireFog
Wastelander

Fast and Fourier

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 06:24:07 am »

Sewers or drains seems to be a bad idea for me, aside from the health issues (only for the sewers as most drains I visited were cleaner)  :

There is a lot of long 2-entries tunnels and few access points : it would be very easy to get trapped by a rather small number of zombies and the patrol duty would be rather tedious (as some areas are less practicable). Transportation of large equipment from the outside to the drains would also be problematic...

One solution I thought of would be to dig entries to some houses' basements, which is possible in drains but not everywhere in places like this :

(click to show/hide)
The thinners walls are easily spotted as they were bricked way later than the tunnels.

However, this solution does not appears to me as the smartest : we wouldn't know what's behind the wall and we would have an "easy entry" into the sewers (but a smarter idea than cutting the iron bars separating the drains of the outside because in my city's drains, they always end up in very populated areas)

One great advantage of the drains is the easy conduction of sound : a gunfire or a shout would be heard very far in the tunnels.
Moreover, it would take only an exterior jerk leaving the manhole opened to have an invasion of zombies... plus, I will not be the only person to have this idea so there will be a non-negligible amount of people there...

That's why I wouldn't settle too long in sewers or drains.

Engrish as second language
Dodom
Lead Milo Death Theorist
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Necrolicious

anarchostaliniste@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 06:48:39 am »

My question wasn't about dwelling in the sewers, but using them as an escape route.

Opus Fluke
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Fluke Laboratories: EVOLVE TODAY!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 07:14:27 am »

Navigation could be a problem, but then again maps and schematics are usually a matter of public record. Sewer maintenance workers I've seen wear rubber waders and shoulder length gloves (think fishing gear). Other than that the risks are light since the major obstacle is knowing your way around and being able to see what you're doing. Urban exploration web sites (of which there are legion and can be searched by country/major city) should hold some good advice. The activity itself is a bit of a legal grey area. As an escape plan it has merit: above ground will be packed with wreckage, both mechanical and human.
*ADDENDUM*
Rereading this post makes me realise how paranoid I really am...

And I couldn't have done it without Fluke Labs! *thumbs up at camera*
Stan
Carbonite Dreamer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

booty butt booty butt booty butt cheeks

mogley22@msn.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2011, 02:50:44 pm »

I wanna lay mines in the sewers...

If you're gonna do that shit, do it about one of those ontario elections that always end in the cops chasing a rapist around a tim hortons or some shit.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: