The Zombie Hunters Forum: WE GO THERE.
April 18, 2014, 10:00:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: It's a BRICK-FLAIL!!!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ridley Scott to direct Bladerunner remake?  (Read 2319 times)
TheLastOutlaw
Alone in this darkness, thereís a dream still worth saving
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I have a hockey mask and a questionable moral code

outlaw_dr@hotmail.com Roadbuster roadbuster_99
View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 22, 2011, 03:08:17 pm »

That's right boys and girls.  Fresh from the internet so it MUST be true!

Brafalag!  (Ok, I couldn't come up with something catchy for the hyperlink, sue me.)

First and foremost, I love Bladerunner.  I've watched all the various versions of it I've managed to get my hands on, from the crappy network TV adaptation to the five disc deluxe collectors edition with the Original Theatrical cut, the international cut, the directors cut,  Final Cut and the Original Work Print cut.  I'm a fan.  I read the original Philip K. Dick story (Androids dream of electric sheep) and I even watched the shitty Kurt Russel movie that was "set in the Bladerunner universe" which was really just a clever way to get rabid Bladerunner fanboys to see a shitty Kurt Russel movie.  

So.....

I'm terrified at the prospect of this film being remade.  If you've done any research into the history surrounding the making of Bladerunner you would be acutely aware of the EXTREME odds the movie overcame to even reach the big screen in the first place.  Why would you take a film that has accrued a hallowed spot in the sci-fi pantheon and remake it?  (And a bit of fair warning here, the first person to treat George Lucas like an example worthy of emulation gets frozen in carbonite and then Stan and I chuck you off a cliff)  maybe itís a ploy to milk real commercial success out of a film that richly deserved it?  But you canít discount the fact that despite nearly bombing at the box office Bladerunner did remarkably well on video and itís cult following has done nothing but expand.  Should it be remade?  Will anyone be able to outdo the performances of Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer, Edward James Olmos, Sean Young?  Possibly.  Will a new film outdo one of the movies that had arguably the most finely detailed vision of the future (and an eerily accurate one thus far) not to mention one of the few movies of itís era that have held up reasonably well special effects wise?  (Donít even try to point to the Special Edition Star Wars films that were CGIíd decades later.)  While I suppose the answer to these could conceivably be ďyesĒ I would think one would hesitate before trying simply because the odds are very long indeed.  

Discuss.  And let your geekiness/fanboyishness know no bounds.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 07:27:40 am by TheLastOutlaw » Logged

Visit my Deviant Art page, home of Manic Depression: The Webcomic! http://thelastoutlaw.deviantart.com
Quote from: Dara
Mask, stapler, Machete.. The Last Outlaw: Like Jason, only more awesome, bitch.
Hailfax
Quartermaster
Zombie Hunter
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I'm your mother fucking Quartermaster

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 04:49:37 pm »

It would be nice to see an upgrade on the effects, but other than that, no.

no blade remake.

Harrison Ford, man. HARRISON FORD

It's been a hard day's night
Age is no guarantee of efficiency
3DS friend code: 4613-6707-8466
AmadeusMaxwell
Zombie with Mad Elite Skills
Zombie Hunter
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Straight from the land that God forgot.

AmadeusMaxwell ZMES_Matt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 06:05:12 pm »

Harrison Ford, man. HARRISON FORD
You know, I just realized that the only movies I've ever seen with Harrison Ford in them is Cowboys & Aliens and The Fugitive(which I saw when it came out in theaters...I was 7.)

Never watched Star Wars, Indian Jones, or Bladerunner. I have watched bits of Star Wars....  *runs to not be lynched.*

Anyways, I've always wanted to read Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, but never got around to it.

If it helps, I'd be more than happy to riot with you, just point me at who to hold down. Tongue

Zog
Half-Life

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 06:23:32 pm »

I had read about this and my initial reaction was enthusiastic.
...then, I thought " ...what can they possibly add? What NEEDS to be added to the original?"

Yeah.
Nothing.

Stan
Carbonite Dreamer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

booty butt booty butt booty butt cheeks

mogley22@msn.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 03:16:59 am »

To Quote the great Eric Melvin:

"FUCK NO. Not just NO, But FUCK NO."

If you're gonna do that shit, do it about one of those ontario elections that always end in the cops chasing a rapist around a tim hortons or some shit.
TheLastOutlaw
Alone in this darkness, thereís a dream still worth saving
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I have a hockey mask and a questionable moral code

outlaw_dr@hotmail.com Roadbuster roadbuster_99
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 12:36:44 pm »

I had read about this and my initial reaction was enthusiastic.
...then, I thought " ...what can they possibly add? What NEEDS to be added to the original?"

Yeah.
Nothing.
At first I was very excited, but also at first I thought it was going to be a sequel or prequel.  When I realized it was a straight up remake I was optimistic for about as long as it took me to think about how hard it would be for anyone to recreate the impact of the original. 

Visit my Deviant Art page, home of Manic Depression: The Webcomic! http://thelastoutlaw.deviantart.com
Quote from: Dara
Mask, stapler, Machete.. The Last Outlaw: Like Jason, only more awesome, bitch.
Opus Fluke
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Fluke Laboratories: EVOLVE TODAY!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 08:10:53 am »

For the love of Eris, NO! I mean... why? I mean a bit of CGI *might* polish it up a bit but, come on! This is BLADERUNNER we're talking about here! The whole "I've seen things you people couldn't possibly imagine..." speech was an ad lib, an iconic scene that can never be recreated precisely because it was an inspired piece of spur of the moment genius! By all means remake "Legend" but leave "Bladerunner" the Hell alone, people. It's been recut enough to suit every taste. Distopia has never looked so stunning. So no.

And I couldn't have done it without Fluke Labs! *thumbs up at camera*
AmadeusMaxwell
Zombie with Mad Elite Skills
Zombie Hunter
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Straight from the land that God forgot.

AmadeusMaxwell ZMES_Matt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 10:14:41 am »

So, I know this is sort of off topic, but still related as it's a Phillip K. Dick movie adaptation: Total Recall is being remade as well, staring Colin Farrell as Quaid.

Grey Wolf
ARC Support Staff

Die Bart Die

sentinalgrafi
View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 06:07:47 am »

Why? It was Perfect...

I tied an onion to my belt. Which was the style at the time.
Fatman
SRS Giraffe
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Passive agressive part-time douchebag

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 03:21:36 pm »

Just watched Final cut version. Dear god this movie is over rated and boring x_x

Quote from: --Cricco--
Has a smile that is linked to Armageddon.
Quote from: Hailfax
In short, I hate you Fatman and I am going to kill you and replace you with me so I can live in a dorm as cheap as that.
Quote from: sok
HOW MUCH DID YOU DRINK?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: