The Zombie Hunters Forum: WE GO THERE.
September 02, 2014, 08:07:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Oh, Gutted Hobo...you tried to steal supplies, and ended up stealing our hearts.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zombies: Now 20% slower!  (Read 1797 times)
Dodom
Lead Milo Death Theorist
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Necrolicious

anarchostaliniste@hotmail.com
View Profile
« on: August 25, 2011, 04:24:25 pm »

What do you think would happen if the zombie outbreak was slow?

It starts somewhere, gets rapidly disseminated in multiple world regions (enough that it can't be wiped out with a couple of nukes) some people turn, infect others, and so on... but you don't see everyone turning overnight. In this scenario, the zombie virus is just vigorous enough to defeat all efforts to wipe it out, but cannot swipe the world in a short time.
How do you imagine such a scenario? What would you do, given that you have ample amounts of time to prepare, and there is a significant chance that society won't break down at all and the zombies will be something people will just have to learn to deal with in the long run?

You first hear about it on the news, a few weeks later science shows make specials explaining what's known about it so far, scientists are looking for a cure. In every country, authorities and populations handle it differently, some with more efficiency than others. It takes months before you're forced to change your lifestyle: you're more likely to run into a zombie on your way to work, and the amount of people who either died or grew too scared to go to work themselves is beginning to affect the economy...
Some goods and services become very difficult to find, and overpriced. In developped countries, this doesn't result in famine, but in third world nations, it does just what the plague did to its survivors in medieval time: fuck up their food supply because nobody was in the fields for a season.
Globally, this decreased productivity also affects the efficiency of the fight against zombies. Armies tend to stock up on essentials, but we're talking about a crisis that may last years. The police doesn't have those resources, and sanitary agencies aren't designed to do the job alone anyway. Scientists, who may be the only hope to get rid of the problem, have specially expensive jobs requiring sophisticated material. If you need a ton of junk you used to import from China to do this, but half of China's factories are closed, you have to put some operations on hold, and opt for less effective alternatives.
What will determine the outcome, between social breakdown or an equilibrium and an eventual recovery, I believe, will be whether governments and businesses manage to keep a sufficient number at work:
- You can keep giving a salary to your soldiers and doctors, it won't do them good if there isn't anything they need in stores, and they'll begin defecting to try and find better ways to feed themselves and their families. Then the zombies' advance accelerates, people panic, and everything goes to hell.
- If you can keep every (or a sufficiently comfortable majority) of bellies full long enough, then people will adapt their lifestyle to be safer while still functioning and agencies will find better strategies to stall the zombies. The epidemic will stabilise, and people will struggle to go back to normal - get their job back, make new friends since Joe was eaten, etc. Given more time, a way may be found to wipe out the virus. A Shawn of the Dead kind of ending: the zombies changed things, but not so much that people couldn't find a comfortable routine again.

As to what I'd do personally, well my hypothesis on the course of the invasion makes it obvious: continue going to work as long as work is open and zombies aren't outright staring at me from the front door window. (I'm generally of the opinion that a global catastrophe is going to hit the hardest via our pockets, then our stomach)
Meanwhile, prepare for the possible societyfail: Stock up on food and other items that need to be stocked up on over the weeks; install bars on the windows, build a fake wall to hide the extra food so nobody can steal it, talk to the neighbours to make a collective emergency plan (I shall make a separate thread for this idea!) and whatever this specific variant of zombies commands.

Opus Fluke
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Fluke Laboratories: EVOLVE TODAY!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 05:07:41 pm »

I suspect that as the means of production are essential to "win" this "war" there'd be a gradual equilibrium reached just as it was during WWII when Coventry, London, Clydebank, Liverpool etc were being heavily bombed. (Yes, it's UK-centric, but this is where I live so it's what I know). In a sense there'd be the same "blitz spirit" put about with stirring information films (a.k.a. "propaganda") urging "Keep Calm And Carry On" and "Dig For Victory" while critical techno-industrial-military nodes are secured. Inside of a month or two the media would be spinning it into a "war" and there would be a whole "patriotic duty" slant on the reporting.
 Meanwhile the crazies would be talking about the apocalypse, and be largely ignored.
 Meanwhile the Forum Crazies would be cheerfully discussing the zompocalypse, and be politely listened to (largely because we have canned goods and weapons).

And I couldn't have done it without Fluke Labs! *thumbs up at camera*
AmadeusMaxwell
Zombie with Mad Elite Skills
Zombie Hunter
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Straight from the land that God forgot.

AmadeusMaxwell ZMES_Matt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 08:36:04 am »

Woops, wish I'd have read this thread first before posting in the other one; the other thread makes a bit more sense now.

My plan would be largely the same: try to go to work and continue trying to live "normally" for as long as possible. In the US though I'm sure there'd be a demand for protection in certain areas, mostly I'm thinking public schools would begin to have the national guard around them at all times to ensure that not only the children are safe, but that the area doesn't have any strays get into a good hiding-lunge spot in the middle of the night. Very quickly the cost of houses around schools would spike because of the increased security. The demand for guns would obviously rise, states may even start to pass open-carry laws. I suppose with the loss of everyone zombified that it would be a minor re-distribution of wealth and a major re-distribution of jobs. As morbid as it is, I could actually see a zombie-threat as potentially being great for the economy. Everyone would start spending their money while its still worth something, no point in withdrawing your money like with other scares when this scare threatens to make your money absolutely worthless. Of course if the threat was so bad that international trade shut down then that'd just be awful for everyone. Homeless people would almost entirely disappear, probably because they've moved into a house of the former living, since being seen shambling around the street will either get you shot or eaten. Tongue

I dunno, there's just a massive amount of things to consider that could possibly leave us off better or worse at the tragedy of the zed-ified.

Cheez
Voted most likely to hug.
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Rawra?

lcharters2@hotmail.com nihtgenga1990
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 11:20:24 am »

I'd think 'Good times!' and try finding work. With lots of people dead, their jobs would be open, and there'd likely also be new jobs created to deal with the zombies (Cleanup crews, zombie hunters, etc). So, for the first time in half a year, there'd be jobs going that I could apply for and realistically get.

Quote from: mudmonkey
Cheez is fuckin hawt with teh boobehs.
Quote from: Sammich!
Cheez is also a raptor...pirate. A raptor pirate. Playing chess.
WARNING- If you send me a PM with no subject, I WILL NOT REPLY.
correctt
Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 07:11:04 pm »

well it sounds a bit like how world war Z started.
one of the first things i would do would be to choose where my safe house location would be. This would probably be done in relation to others i would like to have with me.
another one of the things i would do when i first heard of the outbreaks would be to create DIY MREs http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-MREsa-tutorial/
along with the MREs a lot of planting including seeds and fertilizer.
also i would gather up lots of tools.

once me and a group of people had a location scouted, and probably bought, traded for or just chosen depending on the outbreak level.  Getting a basic chain link fence up as a stop gap. I would rent and or get some heavy machines to to make a secure wall. Another option after the  chain link fence is up instead of going with the heavy machines, they may be unavailable so another form of secure wall would need to be made, probably a brick or wood wall.

once the wall up, work on storing raw materials, defensive items, food, and medical supplies at your new base of operations.

when the outbreak happens near after your first warning would determine how much would be done.

Fiveofclubs
ARC Support Staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 02:26:33 pm »

In the long run I believe "zombie free zones" could be established.  The dead in those zones would be required to be removed or cremation would be mandatory I imagine. 

Until that point, I would continue to work as long as it continued to support myself and my family, stockpile food and supplies.  I think I would probably try to capitalize on the situation by either providing a needed service, or help start a business that is aligned to take advantage of the "new world". 

Maybe that sounds opportunistic and greedy but when opportunity knocks it's at least worth answering the door.

Mike
Five of Clubs
sok
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Sok means juice in Polish!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 06:09:04 pm »

You know what would be really bad for society? Now, every time you see a drunk person, you will wonder, if its just a harmless local hobo, or a zombie. Also, in more criminal-prone parts of society murder rates might rise dramatically, because everyone could claim "I swear, i thought he was a zombie!".
If the zombie virus wasnt spreading fast, it would be easy to eliminate/render almost harmless.
After a while, people will have a pretty good idea on what to do with zombies, and how to spot them, so even police should be able to get rid of them without too much trouble.
Also, keep in mind americans, that most countries in the world are more densly populated than america, and thus, law enforcement is more uhhh... dense too. So, even "lonely" households in europe are a bit better protected from zombies than in the US, just because a zombie has  a bigger chance to run into police/army/border guard/zombie guard before doing any harm to civilians.

Unless of course zombie virus is not spread by biting, but lets say body fluids... I can imagine many crazies poisoning water supplies and food on purpose. Also, this would bring terrorism to the whole new level, when the "weapon" is pretty much everywhere aviable.

btw, Are the wings on fire?
Stan
Carbonite Dreamer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

booty butt booty butt booty butt cheeks

mogley22@msn.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 12:01:41 am »

Hobos just gotta learn to run.

If you're gonna do that shit, do it about one of those ontario elections that always end in the cops chasing a rapist around a tim hortons or some shit.
Ricky S
Civillian Police

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 08:28:18 am »

Also, keep in mind americans, that most countries in the world are more densly populated than america, and thus, law enforcement is more uhhh... dense too. So, even "lonely" households in europe are a bit better protected from zombies than in the US, just because a zombie has  a bigger chance to run into police/army/border guard/zombie guard before doing any harm to civilians.

I would say that American's actually are far safer than europeans simply because of the 2nd ammendment. Most europeans cannot bear arms so that would cut out a massive chunk of protection that the US has. Also because they are not as densely populated as europe that means there are less places for civilians to get cornered. And it allows protection from looters, etc, due to being spread out.

"Stop biting me Mr Zombie"
Cheez
Voted most likely to hug.
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Rawra?

lcharters2@hotmail.com nihtgenga1990
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 12:15:02 pm »

Most europeans cannot bear arms so that would cut out a massive chunk of protection that the US has.

That would probably change pretty quickly when the dead start walking.

Besides, reliance on firearms seems to make people forget- they aren't the only weapons out there. Crossbows are legal, as are plenty of hand-to hand weapons.

Quote from: mudmonkey
Cheez is fuckin hawt with teh boobehs.
Quote from: Sammich!
Cheez is also a raptor...pirate. A raptor pirate. Playing chess.
WARNING- If you send me a PM with no subject, I WILL NOT REPLY.
Stan
Carbonite Dreamer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

booty butt booty butt booty butt cheeks

mogley22@msn.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 05:18:01 pm »

I keep forgetting how harsh and badass canadian weather is.

Zombies would only be a real problem... like not even an eighth of the time.

Keep in miond they got no bloodflow, nothing to keep them moving when the metre drops below zero (32 For all you cavemen still using Fahrenheit)

If you're gonna do that shit, do it about one of those ontario elections that always end in the cops chasing a rapist around a tim hortons or some shit.
Ricky S
Civillian Police

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 09:59:29 am »

That would probably change pretty quickly when the dead start walking.

Besides, reliance on firearms seems to make people forget- they aren't the only weapons out there. Crossbows are legal, as are plenty of hand-to hand weapons.

Yea that is true but you cannot deny the effectiveness of firearms. Although I saw that the chinese police force has taken to being armed with crossbows.

The problem with hand to hand weapons is that you are fighting hand to hand. It's something that I really dont want to do when fighting zombies.

"Stop biting me Mr Zombie"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: