The Zombie Hunters Forum: WE GO THERE.
October 22, 2014, 09:26:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: "God invented Corona and limes just to see drunk people use sharp knives."

Chat logs claim I said this Saturday night.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IS the zombie genre peaking?  (Read 2688 times)
Fiveofclubs
ARC Support Staff

View Profile Email
« on: October 17, 2011, 09:46:28 am »

Not sure if we've had this topic before or not.  With major TV shows, several best sellers and major motion pictures, and "serious" industries like American bullet manufacturers branding zombie specific products are we at the peak of the zombie marketing craze?  I know we talked before about how when something gets popular it spawns a lot of crap, but I'm asking if we will see more, less, or stay the same for a while.

I'm thinking things are peaking now, and probably after WWZ the movie is released next year we'll see things die down a bit. 

Mike
Five of Clubs
Ricky S
Civillian Police

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 12:09:15 am »

It is already at the point where everyone is getting tired of zombie. Society is saturated with it and I imagine that people's obsession with them will die down a bit when they finally realise that they will never exist.

"Stop biting me Mr Zombie"
AmadeusMaxwell
Zombie with Mad Elite Skills
Zombie Hunter
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Straight from the land that God forgot.

AmadeusMaxwell ZMES_Matt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 06:36:06 am »

Yeah, it's a fad that feels like it's dying down a bit, but overall picked up a bigger audience than it had before. Same thing happened with Pirates when Pirates of the Carribean was really popular. Vampires have gone through a couple different surges of popularity; the two most recent being Twilight and True Blood.

Zombies have had a fairly good run this go 'round, from games like Dead Rising, Resident Evil series, and Left 4 Dead, to the movies like Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead remake, and 30 Days/Weeks Later. The Walking Dead feels like it's at the tail end of this surge of popularity. I'm sure the zombie genre will rise again. Roll Eyes

Fiveofclubs
ARC Support Staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 05:54:30 pm »

good one Amad

I think we have a another year or two before we see it die down.  Unfortunately that means we see a lot of bad zombie stuff cashing in on the populatiry, but we also may see some cool new twists in the genre.  Fast zombies I think was the last big evolution in the genre. 

Mike
Five of Clubs
TheLastOutlaw
I calculated the odds of this succeeding against the odds I was doing something incredibly stupidů and I went ahead anyway.
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I have a hockey mask and a questionable moral code

outlaw_dr@hotmail.com Roadbuster roadbuster_99
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 07:16:46 pm »

It is already at the point where everyone is getting tired of zombie. Society is saturated with it and I imagine that people's obsession with them will die down a bit when they finally realise that they will never exist.
But that's just the thing.  Zombies will exist.  They've always been a metaphor for the collapse of society and I think we're closer to that now than ever before.  It's why they resonate so well with most people.

Visit my Deviant Art page, home of Manic Depression: The Webcomic! http://thelastoutlaw.deviantart.com
Quote from: Dara
Mask, stapler, Machete.. The Last Outlaw: Like Jason, only more awesome, bitch.
Ricky S
Civillian Police

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 08:13:26 pm »

But that's just the thing.  Zombies will exist.  They've always been a metaphor for the collapse of society and I think we're closer to that now than ever before.  It's why they resonate so well with most people.

Except that zombies as zombies wont exist. There will never be flesh eating former humans who are dead. Society may collapse but it wont be because of zombies.

The Friendly Neighborhood Mad Scientist, J.C.
TZH Certified sig/banner maker of DOOM!
ARC Support Staff

I will Gene Splice you in Self-Defense.

josh@coldfusioninacan.com
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 08:19:08 pm »

It was a good run and for the fans of the genre it's been great, but all fads must die down eventually. I think Steampunk is moving in now, at least in terms of books, seen a big influx of them. Not sure what the next all encompassing thing will be though, My Little Ponies? lol, I think we still have a few zombie movies floating in the works so hopefully we can go out with a bang before the fandom resurges.

65 Badges Issued!
Log!
Skooma Addict
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

THROW A BLANKET OVER IT!

Losmosquitos42@hotmail.com Losmosquitos42
View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 10:23:10 pm »

Except that zombies as zombies wont exist. There will never be flesh eating former humans who are dead. Society may collapse but it wont be because of zombies.

Never say never unless it's a sure thing.

Unlikely? Yes. Impossible? No.

At least, that's what I think.
FireFog
Wastelander

Fast and Fourier

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 02:17:26 pm »

I mostly agree with AmadeusMaxwell's post...

The "zombie craze" really had quality material and I think that is the quality of these materials that attracted people in the first place (and spawned countless copies)... I find it more reasonable than the trend of vampires/werewolves/whatever where the quality of the material having started the trend is more questionable (I'm not saying that there isn't any quality material related to the subject, I'd just rather drink molten boron than watch most of these things lol)

Anyways, the true fans will still be there  Wink

Engrish as second language
Ricky S
Civillian Police

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 10:18:57 pm »

I'd just rather drink molten boron than watch most of these things lol)

Here I thought molten boron was a cool new cocktail that all the kids were drinking here.

Opus Fluke
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Fluke Laboratories: EVOLVE TODAY!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 07:59:23 am »

Like all these things they rear up every 15 years or so. Slasher flicks are getting remade left, right and centre. I mean WHY? The originals are still the best, go get the late 70s and 80s ones rather than the shot-for-shot remakes. Ignore me: I'm old and allowed to gibber like Grandpaw Simpson.

And I couldn't have done it without Fluke Labs! *thumbs up at camera*
TheLastOutlaw
I calculated the odds of this succeeding against the odds I was doing something incredibly stupidů and I went ahead anyway.
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 10:36:33 am »

Like all these things they rear up every 15 years or so. Slasher flicks are getting remade left, right and centre. I mean WHY? The originals are still the best, go get the late 70s and 80s ones rather than the shot-for-shot remakes. Ignore me: I'm old and allowed to gibber like Grandpaw Simpson.
Nah, I pretty much agree.  For me the funniest part of Scream 4 (Beyond the fact they made it in the first place) was the phone quiz toward the end of the movie.  If you saw it you know what I'm talking about and why it was funny.

If not watch it now.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAOxfIJDfX0  Satire is FUNNY.

Visit my Deviant Art page, home of Manic Depression: The Webcomic! http://thelastoutlaw.deviantart.com
Opus Fluke
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 01:30:32 pm »

"Peeping Tom" WAS NOT A SLASHER! It was a POKEY-POKEY THING ON A STICK!

TheLastOutlaw
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 01:40:32 pm »

"Peeping Tom" WAS NOT A SLASHER! It was a POKEY-POKEY THING ON A STICK!
Right, and the kill count was WAY low.  Most fans of the genre point to Halloween as the orginator because everyone else copied were inspired by it.  He was drawing attention to the killer P.O.V. shots.  Though the part that made me laugh was the "Name the remake of the landmark movie" and she just started vomitting remake names.  A fair amount of which are Craven flicks.  Everything old is new again. 

Opus Fluke
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 01:42:10 pm »

After Winter comes Summer. After Summer comes Winter. Ia! Ia!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: