The Zombie Hunters Forum: WE GO THERE.
November 23, 2014, 03:45:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: It's a BRICK-FLAIL!!!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Terrorising the window and orphan  (Read 5602 times)
Dodom
Lead Milo Death Theorist
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Necrolicious

anarchostaliniste@hotmail.com
View Profile
« on: November 25, 2011, 07:07:26 pm »

Lately the main site has been killing my windows. I can read the new comic, change page once, (ie returning to the forum) then the window freezes and the only thing I can do about it is close the window and open a new one. Otherwise it will sit there indefinitely with the little loading bar at the bottom pretending to load. It doesn't do that on Mozilla, only on Explorer 7, I think it's one of the ads that must be doing that since there's no reason for the site itself to contain smelly applets.
You decide if the Explorer 7 using demographic is large enough to be worth looking into it.

Greg
Totally not a vampire
Red Halo Officer
ARC Support Staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 08:53:49 pm »

It's definitely worth looking into it. Sorry I haven't been around the forums much lately, either.

I updated some of our ad serving code a few days ago- probably after you posted this. Can you tell me if it's still causing a problem?
Dodom
Lead Milo Death Theorist
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Necrolicious

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 06:58:36 am »

I just read the comic. If it still did it, I wouldn't have been able to post this.

Edit: Correction, I had the time to view more pages before the window froze, but it did it eventually.

If it can help, notalwaysright.com and schlockmercenary.com also do it.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 07:07:50 am by Dodom » Logged

Greg
Totally not a vampire
Red Halo Officer
ARC Support Staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 09:00:34 am »

Weird...

We are hosted by the same company that hosts schlock mercenary (unless they've since moved). But I don't have any idea who hosts notalwaysright.

Now, our advertising is set up to load only after all of the other content has loaded. Does the page hang after the comic shows up, but before the ads? Or does it completely lock up once everything's loaded, and you can't go to the next page?
Dodom
Lead Milo Death Theorist
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Necrolicious

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 04:48:00 pm »

Only when I leave it. I can load the next page, sometimes one more (I think it's more a matter of time than number of pages) then it won't move. When I shut it, Windows gives me a warning that the window is busy and closing it may cause problems, but further problems never happened.

Greg
Totally not a vampire
Red Halo Officer
ARC Support Staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 03:07:48 pm »

For what little it's worth, the issue doesn't seem to show up in our error logs.

I'm trying to figure out a good test plan for this. I may have to set up a test page and then ask you to try it out, to see if we can maybe get some debugging information. Ideally, I'd like to narrow down what script is causing this issue.
Dodom
Lead Milo Death Theorist
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Necrolicious

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 03:11:33 pm »

Update:
I've installed Explorer 8 a while ago and it hasn't done it again since. I guess the bug was exclusive to Explorer 7, and probably not even on all systems.

Greg
Totally not a vampire
Red Halo Officer
ARC Support Staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 03:53:28 pm »

Oh, good! I didn't want to seem like I was ignoring you, but building a test rig got put behind the other infrastructure changes. I've had to rebuild several sections of the back end of the site to accomodate a better archive system as well as a new translation feature that we're hoping to put out relatively soon.
Dodom
Lead Milo Death Theorist
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Necrolicious

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 05:25:01 am »

I don't know if that's the same bug... if so, Firefox protects itself better than Explorer; it only freezes for a few minutes (minutes is long in internet time though) then gives an error message and stops the flawed script. So this time it's identified:

Also it only happened today, not at every visit.

TheLastOutlaw
I calculated the odds of this succeeding against the odds I was doing something incredibly stupidů and I went ahead anyway.
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I have a hockey mask and a questionable moral code

outlaw_dr@hotmail.com Roadbuster roadbuster_99
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 07:52:09 am »

TIL Dodom reads/speaks French,

Visit my Deviant Art page, home of Manic Depression: The Webcomic! http://thelastoutlaw.deviantart.com
Quote from: Dara
Mask, stapler, Machete.. The Last Outlaw: Like Jason, only more awesome, bitch.
Greg
Totally not a vampire
Red Halo Officer
ARC Support Staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 05:52:03 am »

hallelujah! Now that I know where the script came from, let's see what I can do about it Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: