The Zombie Hunters Forum: WE GO THERE.
April 23, 2014, 06:05:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: But I didn't mean to...

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SOPA how bout NOPA!!  (Read 6359 times)
Stan
Carbonite Dreamer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

booty butt booty butt booty butt cheeks

mogley22@msn.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2012, 11:37:01 am »

oh hey

The really crazy part?  We might even win.

Approaching Monday's crucial Senate vote there are now 35 Senators publicly opposing PIPA.  Last week there were 5.   And it just takes just 41 solid "no" votes to permanently stall PIPA (and SOPA) in the Senate.  What seemed like miles away a few weeks ago is now within reach.

But don't trust predictions.  The forces behind SOPA & PIPA (mostly movie companies) can make small changes to these bills until they know they have the votes to pass.  Members of Congress know SOPA & PIPA are unpopular, but they don't understand why--so they're easily duped by superficial changes.  The Senate returns next week, and the next few days are critical.

a little bit of the email Fight for The Future sent me.

If you're gonna do that shit, do it about one of those ontario elections that always end in the cops chasing a rapist around a tim hortons or some shit.
Fiveofclubs
ARC Support Staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2012, 06:52:36 pm »

Great analysis Greg, excellent use of your poli-sci degree!

I think your voting age numbers sound pretty accurate.  Dismal as though it may seem (I'm assuming you are a gen Xer? maybe Y) Gen X has started more businesses than any previous generation.  We may not be worth more now, but our potential wealth is projected to be more than our parents generation.  We are a force.

Mike
Five of Clubs
Greg
Totally not a vampire
Red Halo Officer
ARC Support Staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2012, 10:23:54 pm »

Depending on where you put the end points, I'm either the youngest member of Gen X or the oldest member of Gen Y- I was born in 1980. Just young enough to have missed out on the dot com boom, I wound up going into the Army because of the dot com bust, and then got *out* of the army in time for the real estate bust. Fun times, truly :p

I think we have a negative net worth, thanks to the losses from book one. But, hopefully we'll be turning that around this year.

Starting businesses is a great marker. Hopefully we can keep that going. Having a large number of small-to-medium-size businesses is what keeps an economy growing... That, and having the infrastructure that supports said businesses.
Stan
Carbonite Dreamer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

mogley22@msn.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2012, 10:47:55 pm »

Hey Greg?

Thanks for setting me straight on this. I was making a big deal over literally nothing.

If you're gonna do that shit, do it about one of those ontario elections that always end in the cops chasing a rapist around a tim hortons or some shit.
AmadeusMaxwell
Zombie with Mad Elite Skills
Zombie Hunter
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Straight from the land that God forgot.

AmadeusMaxwell ZMES_Matt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2012, 04:40:06 pm »

*mind explodes*

Thanks for the clarification Greg!

Stan
Carbonite Dreamer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

mogley22@msn.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2012, 05:09:15 pm »

I know this bill is going nowhere in terms of copyright infringement, but apparently there's something in Canada that is trying to accomplish a very similar vision, except its targeting big websites for hate crimes, rather than copyright infringement. FOR EXAMPLE. If I, a sad excuse for a canadian citizen, were to post a youtube link of... ANY video, hateful or not, onto my facebook, I would be criminally charged for hate crimes, because youtube is a site where people have the ability to upload hateful things.

--Pappa Cricco--
Cricco was here
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I think I may of snapped...

done_done_onto_the_next_one@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2012, 08:04:42 am »

Am I right in hearing that sopa is finished.

Stan
Carbonite Dreamer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

mogley22@msn.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2012, 04:58:07 pm »

not finished, the vote has just been postponed.

Tough its not looking to hopeful for the bill to be passed.

Log!
Skooma Addict
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

THROW A BLANKET OVER IT!

Losmosquitos42@hotmail.com Losmosquitos42
View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2012, 01:11:29 am »

It's been shelved for the second time, I think.

At least, that's what I think.
dudesomebody
Half-Life

the beatings will continue until moral improves!!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2012, 02:57:57 pm »

It's been shelved for the second time, I think.

Hurray for our side!! cant tell how glad I was to hear that

Greg
Totally not a vampire
Red Halo Officer
ARC Support Staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2012, 10:47:18 pm »

Hey Greg?

Thanks for setting me straight on this. I was making a big deal over literally nothing.

It's all right, Stan- it actually is a fairly big thing. While individual users wouldn't see much of an effect, it's very limiting for anyone who wants to create content or work in the information industries within the US. Also, it's a demonstration that a lot of people in the government are *okay* with passing censorship laws, and that's really not a road that a healthy democracy can travel down. We've already managed to pass a bill authorizing the indefinite detention of american citizens (because we already indefinitely detain foreign citizens in job lots)- that, and these the attempts at censorship aren't really good things. While there may not be any sort of shadowy conspiracy involved, and perhaps nobody currently serving would abuse these powers (unlikely), these powers are the sort that can and will be abused by *somebody* somewhere down the line. From ill intent or ignorance, abuse will happen, if we allow the government the power to do so. It's always important for the citizens to serve as a check on our politicians.

I'm glad these bills have been delayed, but similar ones will probably come back again. We'll have to be watchful and make sure that we let our representatives know that we can't accept any sort of censorship like this the next time they try it. Just because they had a dumb way of doing it, this time, doesn't mean that their next attempt won't be effective.
Stan
Carbonite Dreamer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

mogley22@msn.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2012, 03:25:42 am »

Whabou ACTA?

O__O

Greg
Totally not a vampire
Red Halo Officer
ARC Support Staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2012, 08:12:30 am »

Whabou ACTA?

O__O

I'm not familiar with that one? I can look it up, or if you have any links on the subject I'd be happy to read them.

Also, speak of the devil... the canadians are getting similar legislation tossed at them. http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/6264/125/
Fiveofclubs
ARC Support Staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2012, 09:02:46 am »

So is there an association for web content owners, or posters, or web presence?

One of the biggest benefits of a strong association is advocacy in government (yes that can mean lobbying, but also just awareness and voice).  I've started working for a non-profit association so I'm learning lots. 

A quick google found IWA (International Webmaster Association), Online Publisher Association. 

Mike
Five of Clubs
Fatman
SRS Giraffe
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Passive agressive part-time douchebag

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2012, 01:43:06 pm »

Fucking ACTA. SOPA took all the heat and more or less all the EU countries singed it Finland included in secret. -.-

Quote from: --Cricco--
Has a smile that is linked to Armageddon.
Quote from: Hailfax
In short, I hate you Fatman and I am going to kill you and replace you with me so I can live in a dorm as cheap as that.
Quote from: sok
HOW MUCH DID YOU DRINK?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: