The Zombie Hunters Forum: WE GO THERE.
July 29, 2014, 09:00:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: "God invented Corona and limes just to see drunk people use sharp knives."

Chat logs claim I said this Saturday night.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Degenerates  (Read 1680 times)
Dodom
Lead Milo Death Theorist
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Necrolicious

anarchostaliniste@hotmail.com
View Profile
« on: February 24, 2012, 05:04:43 pm »

One thing that would make zombies scarier, in my opinion, is if an infected victim didn't die rapidly then turn, or simply turn rapidly like in 28 Days Later, but the transition to zombiehood was long, slow and terrible to see.

After the infectious bite, the victim first has a fever and flu-like symptoms as the virus makes itself at home, then the symptoms become unnoticeable for a while. Before the later course is known, the victim thinks they made it through. But slowly, an Alzeimher-like degenerative disease is taking place. The zombie instincts may appear early in, but are easily repressed by an active, conscious mind, and it would take a head trauma to bring them out. After a few months however, the victim begins to forget things, has trouble focusing, and often feels depressed or angry for no clear reason. The victim often daydreams about catching and eating other people, because while they are still sane enough not to do it, their brain's inhibition functions aren't good enough to keep it out of their conscious thoughts anymore. Gradually, they lose their skills, memories, and personality, down to the most primal emotions, who will fade in their turn, although at that point there already isn't enough of a mind left to keep from doing it. During that still feeling phase, the victim will call out to victims expecting them to come to them, smile gratefully at them for the happiness they gave them from being eaten, or crying when one escapes. And in the end, those emotions begin to happen in a less logical way, until the degenerating brain can't process them at all and ignores the feeble remaining signals.
Possibly, the victim is still able to eat normal food, if available, and drink from puddles. Since their brain consumes much less energy than normal, this gives them a rather long life expectancy. The virus may or may not also alter their physical functions to what we expect of a zombie. On one hand, an "undead" can be shot in the chest twenty times and still walk, but on the other hand, a breathing creature has much more energy to work with.

Do you have a similar concept in mind? How do you see it? If not, well how would you deal with what I described? Considering that a victim would still have several months of lucidity, and possibly become dangerous BEFORE losing their self awareness, at what point would you begin to think euthanasia is the best option? What if YOU were infected?

Ricky S
Civillian Police

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 10:09:50 pm »

The first wave would be a scary prospect as you wouldnt know who is infected and who isnt because they are still all alive. Once someone figures out how to test for the virus and figures out how it works then it doesnt really become much of a problem.

Depending on how destroyed society gets individuals roaming in the apocalyptic wasteland would be severely untrustworthy because they may actually be infected.

Chances are once it gets found out anyone who has it will be shot by any authority around.

"Stop biting me Mr Zombie"
Grey Wolf
ARC Support Staff

I'll see you at Green Mountain...

sentinalgrafi
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 09:05:08 pm »

It would be worse if it was happening to an elderly relative cause you wouldnt even really know. You'd prolly just brush it off as an effect of old age.

Dinglemonkey....
jared
Half-Life

I'm pretty much queen bitch of the universe

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 11:25:15 pm »

Clearly the only solution is to kill old people. Just to be safe.

Jared-[communism] only starts to break down in lager groups

Log!-Because they just get drunk and just will not put up with anyone's shit.
Ricky S
Civillian Police

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 05:01:22 am »

Should I be worried that I already have the following symptoms?

"After a few months however, the victim begins to forget things, has trouble focusing, and often feels depressed or angry for no clear reason. The victim often daydreams about catching and eating other people."

Although my dreams are more about sucking blood. Maybe Ill become a hybrid zombie vampire?

"Stop biting me Mr Zombie"
Dodom
Lead Milo Death Theorist
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Necrolicious

anarchostaliniste@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 05:11:56 pm »

Should I be worried that I already have the following symptoms?

Well that's exactly the problem: the symptoms are fairly common up until the disease is quite advanced. Especially since the apocalypse is not expected to be a relaxing time and that stress does a number on the mind just as it does on the body.
Is little Jimmy exhausted or beginning to turn? How about Linda's mild mourning depression after losing loved ones to the zombies? And the kid that barely talks? How do you recognise if a baby is turning???
Once you begin looking for those symptoms, you can often see some of them in normal people.

Newb8D
PANTS!!!
Civillian Police

You WILL be mine, pants. MINE. FOREVER.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 07:59:47 pm »

That would be terrible.  If I realized I was infected in the earlier stages, well, I'd tell other people or at least stay away from others as best as I can.  In the later stages, it would be too late for me to properly deal with the condition if I was the one infected.  As described, one would think in a manner that would be less logical.  For others, I'd keep a careful eye out for the symptoms.  If one were to have the symptoms, I'd keep my distance and inform anyone else of my suspicions.  Euthanasia should be employed when you're sure the person is infected, in my opinion. Checking for any bites, open wounds, and the like would give a better idea of whether or not the suspect is actually infected, as well as examining those wounds (bite marks or a knife cut?). 

8D  (8  8P  (8<  >8P  8(  D8  8O  8S  8B  <l8D  8I)

Welcome to the 8th dimension.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: