The Zombie Hunters Forum: WE GO THERE.
December 21, 2014, 02:51:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Do you want me to drive?  'Cause I can drive y' know.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saving Halloween  (Read 3105 times)
dudesomebody
Half-Life

the beatings will continue until moral improves!!

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2012, 08:52:08 pm »

I have come to do something everyone saw coming but hoped I had gotten out of my system; I'm gonna ask you a question. Wait wait hear me out first, this one is hopefully different then most of my questions. First, the pitch.

In the neighborhood I live in halloween passes without much notice every year and that saddens me, I think the holiday is a great opportunity for people in a neighborhood to actually see the people they may live right next to but otherwise not interact with at all. In this day and age when people are afraid of their neighbors I desperatly think we need a holiday like halloween. Now that you have sat through my pitch here is where I need your help, I am trying to get the folks on my street to participate in the holiday. I just need folk to agree to a well lit front yard, a big bowl of candy and, preferably, a body to hand out said candy. I don't know how to do this without coming across as weird or up to no good though. My first thought was to go door to door and talk to my neighbors but as I said earlier, no one really interacts with each other more than they have to. They also don't know me from ash and have no reason to think I am not up to no good.

I come to you looking for suggestions, ideas, ancient rituals whatever I can get. I refuse to accept that the world has gone so far down hill that this very simple holiday needs to be forgotten; Maybe I am being a little overdramatic but I grew up with this holiday being a bigger deal and can see the benefits beyond getting free junk food (Which I wont be getting, I'm 30). If it needs summing up, What is the best way to convince people to participate without sounding like I want something from them, I just need some help as I have no idea where to start. I come here for advice and ideas because I respect your opinions (blatant sucking up Grin) and because you are just as crazy as I am and crazy is what I need to make this work.

Synaster
ARC Support Staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 09:31:41 pm »

If your house is near and visible from the road, start putting up Halloween decorations (ones that won't be ruined by possible changes in weather) during whatever time people happen to be out and about. Make some yourself if you don't have enough and don't want to spend too much on more. When people pass, try to strike up a conversation, like, "Hey, how's it going?" and eventually bring Halloween up and ask if they celebrate it. Some don't for paranoid reasons, some for religious reasons (like, Jehova's Witnesses).

Some people might want to celebrate it, but they don't because they see that their neighbors don't seem to. Sometimes it takes the courage of one person to do something that will make others want to do the same.

Or... throw a "neighborhood Halloween party" in your house or backyard (assuming you have one and it's big enough), and then go door-to-door with invitations. You could request that they bring a creepy side-dish (mini powdered donuts with grapes or whatever in the middle- maybe call it "dried ogre eyes") and ask that they dress up. It'll be quite time-consuming, but maybe worth it.
dudesomebody
Half-Life

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 10:36:15 pm »

I will definately be doing decorations this year, am slowly gathering some good stuff. A party might be outside my budget though but I will keep it mind for next year, thanks. My only concern with striking up a conversation would be coming of as the weird neighbor, someone they should worry about. Just need to think up a way to avoid that Grin

Synaster
ARC Support Staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 11:24:29 pm »

Well, I guess "Hi, how's it going?" might be a good way to start. When it comes to social situations, I'm probably not the best one to talk. lol
--Pappa Cricco--
Cricco was here
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I think I may of snapped...

done_done_onto_the_next_one@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 02:26:56 am »

Flyers stating pretty much what you said about how the neighbourhood spirit is dying and how a holiday lime Halloween is a great oppourtunity to bring it back.

TheLastOutlaw
I calculated the odds of this succeeding against the odds I was doing something incredibly stupidů and I went ahead anyway.
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I have a hockey mask and a questionable moral code

outlaw_dr@hotmail.com Roadbuster roadbuster_99
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 09:33:38 am »

Every year we decorate our house and every year I dress up as something even if I don't have a party (which I try to do every year) because it's fun to scar children for life with terror show that you enjoy the holiday so the little tikes are more comfortable.

Visit my Deviant Art page, home of Manic Depression: The Webcomic! http://thelastoutlaw.deviantart.com
Quote from: Dara
Mask, stapler, Machete.. The Last Outlaw: Like Jason, only more awesome, bitch.
dudesomebody
Half-Life

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 11:22:20 am »

I love the idea of the party but it will have to be something I get ready for during the year (stupid money). I had toyed with the idea of getting one of those new projectors, I hear people play video games on them. If I had one, I could screen horror movies in the backyard, weather permiting of course. I will look around online and see if I cant find a few good party ideas.

I thought about the flyers but worried they would seem inpersonal, it would make me look less like a used car salesman though. Think it would be ok if I posted a flyer design on here, get some criticism from my fellow forum crazies??

--Pappa Cricco--
Cricco was here
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I think I may of snapped...

done_done_onto_the_next_one@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 12:06:42 pm »

shit yeah.

Synaster
ARC Support Staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 09:43:41 pm »

These horror movies... would they be recent-ish or not-so-scary-as-it-is-funny-old movies?
dudesomebody
Half-Life

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 03:20:59 pm »

These horror movies... would they be recent-ish or not-so-scary-as-it-is-funny-old movies?

A little of both, I like variety in my horror movies. Also, what would you consider recentish and not-so-scary-funny??

Synaster
ARC Support Staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 08:07:41 pm »

don't know the correct spelling, but "Ahhh Zombies!"
Cheez
Voted most likely to hug.
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Rawra?

lcharters2@hotmail.com nihtgenga1990
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 06:44:32 am »

Create a large pile of wood and other combustibles in the middle of your street. Flay someone, impale them on a stake in the middle of the pyre and burn them while chanting to the Gods. Go on, celebrate Samhain in style and I'm sure your neighbours will join you!

Quote from: mudmonkey
Cheez is fuckin hawt with teh boobehs.
Quote from: Sammich!
Cheez is also a raptor...pirate. A raptor pirate. Playing chess.
WARNING- If you send me a PM with no subject, I WILL NOT REPLY.
Stan
Carbonite Dreamer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

booty butt booty butt booty butt cheeks

mogley22@msn.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 09:14:26 pm »

I'm working on having a punk and metal show in my garage.

If you're gonna do that shit, do it about one of those ontario elections that always end in the cops chasing a rapist around a tim hortons or some shit.
Opus Fluke
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Fluke Laboratories: EVOLVE TODAY!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 04:40:30 pm »

Go on, celebrate Samhain in style and I'm sure your neighbours will join you!

Aw, c'mon! How are you going to convince a policeman a local virgin has gone missing in this day and age and bother to come out investigating? Though a big wooden humanoid figure in the garden should be easy to conceal until the critical moment...

And I couldn't have done it without Fluke Labs! *thumbs up at camera*
dudesomebody
Half-Life

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, 08:37:35 am »

I go away for a few days and we are talkin about burning virgins!? oh well, nothing new from this bunch really Wink

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: