The Zombie Hunters Forum: WE GO THERE.
October 31, 2014, 10:38:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Oh, Gutted Hobo...you tried to steal supplies, and ended up stealing our hearts.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 326   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Random Thoughts  (Read 408893 times)
Stan
Carbonite Dreamer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

booty butt booty butt booty butt cheeks

mogley22@msn.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4770 on: March 20, 2013, 06:58:57 pm »

I rock the percussion section.

ON EVERY DAY BUT WEDNESDAY.

Wednesday's my day off

*sips chocolate milk*

If you're gonna do that shit, do it about one of those ontario elections that always end in the cops chasing a rapist around a tim hortons or some shit.
Synaster
ARC Support Staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #4771 on: March 20, 2013, 11:54:15 pm »

If you don't enjoy playing, you don't enjoy playing. What's stopped you from learning what you wanted on your own?
I'm just saying that I could have, had I had access to a wider selection of music. I just didn't realize that's what I needed. I think I did like playing on occasion, but just not every single day like a chore.
FireFog
Wastelander

Fast and Fourier

View Profile Email
« Reply #4772 on: March 26, 2013, 02:13:16 pm »

If you don't enjoy playing, you don't enjoy playing. What's stopped you from learning what you wanted on your own?

Pedagogy is a big factor and learn something on your own is far from simple and often distressing because most manuals often lack basic pedagogy. I'm not saying that everything can and should be made fun to learn, but being looked down upon and a harsh manner to teach can put people off. Many teachers think that people that don't immediately grasp all the knowledge and information are unworthy to be taught, and that's really a shame.

In my life, I always wanted to learn theremin, but the few people that could have taught me put me off my displaying an atrocious smug and elitism (one even told me that if i didn't mastered piano and violon, it wasn't even worth trying). I didn't wanted to be the next Beethoven or whatever. I didn't wanted to reinvent the wheel. I just wanted to learn something and see what happens next. Chances are that I may have sucked playing this instrument, but I just wanted to learn something I see if I could do something.

This applies for all domains : I had to wait until this year to be able to learn basic embedded systems design on my own, because at last I found people that did not take a complete knowledge of the subject in 5 sec granted (and books that assume that you have Ph.D in every subject lol).

That's maybe why my first diploma in university was truly a pain in the ass : aside from mathematics professors who were nice, physics and chemistry professors were almost all end-degree jerks who stopped to nothing to diminish their students (that's maybe why only ONE physics student pursued further studies in physics). This student wasn't me : I chose another way where I could study without being diminished, I gambled a lot by joining an electronics lab (a field where I knew next to nothing when I joined). The people here (as much professors as senior students) were among the nicest I ever met, they helped me (and still help me today) to learn and to be self-confident about my potential and skills.

When I look back to my education (in the terms of school, I can't really manage to say it in english sorry), it seems that the most effort has been put into denying any self confidence to students. Finding a field of work with less toxic superiors (badass people who help you).

All this long story to say that teaching still has a lot to be done, believe in yourself, not what some narrow-minded teacher may say.

This can be extended to workplaces as well : my ex worked in this fast food where managers harassed their employees and encouraged employees to tell on other employees. This stupid, fear-mongering have managed to put the productivity and safety next to zero.

This is what happens that when we let stupid and/or bitter individuals taking charge. Fear-mongering is crap as much in education as in workplace.

I do believe that if we want to learn something, someone, somewhere, is waiting to acknowledge what we're worth. If we are willing to do what's necessary, we don't have to bow down to the people who claim to have the ultimate knowledge.

Anyways, been a bit far from the subject, I don't know if what I wrote does makes any sense in English.  Huh?

Engrish as second language
Synaster
ARC Support Staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #4773 on: March 27, 2013, 12:16:32 am »

"Random Thoughts" IS the name of this thread. Wink And you do make sense.

I suppose the theremin players told you to go master the piano and/or the violin because it would also help train your ears for music? But their attitudes really do readjusting...

As for bitter teachers, it might be that they once had passion for whatever they are teaching, but that passion had eventually faded away, and now they feel stuck with something they don't care for. Or, of course, it could just be something deeper to make them the way they are. Unfortunately, it seems that bitter people live longer too.
Stan
Carbonite Dreamer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

mogley22@msn.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4774 on: April 03, 2013, 09:09:30 pm »

So I guess I've missed you guys?

How... How are you?

If you're gonna do that shit, do it about one of those ontario elections that always end in the cops chasing a rapist around a tim hortons or some shit.
TheLastOutlaw
I calculated the odds of this succeeding against the odds I was doing something incredibly stupidů and I went ahead anyway.
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I have a hockey mask and a questionable moral code

outlaw_dr@hotmail.com Roadbuster roadbuster_99
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4775 on: April 04, 2013, 11:58:37 am »

Horrifically sick.  Everyone at work has been swapping this cold back and forth and just when I thought I was going to dodge it entirely I caught it.  Ugh...

Visit my Deviant Art page, home of Manic Depression: The Webcomic! http://thelastoutlaw.deviantart.com
Quote from: Dara
Mask, stapler, Machete.. The Last Outlaw: Like Jason, only more awesome, bitch.
Synaster
ARC Support Staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #4776 on: April 04, 2013, 03:59:02 pm »

You didn't seem to be gone THAT long, were you, Stan?

I've been sorta bingeing on anime on Netflix for almost a month. Trinity Blood, Fruits Basket (meh), Elfin Lied, and now Full Metal Alchemist. Anyone know of any good ones I'm completely missing out on?
TheLastOutlaw
I calculated the odds of this succeeding against the odds I was doing something incredibly stupidů and I went ahead anyway.
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I have a hockey mask and a questionable moral code

outlaw_dr@hotmail.com Roadbuster roadbuster_99
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4777 on: April 04, 2013, 05:36:35 pm »

If you haven't seen Trigun, Cowboy BeBop or Samurai Champloo those are must watch shows.  (Not sure what Netflix has for anime so not all of these may be on there.)  Martian Successor Nadesico is fun, anything by Studio Ghibli, I liked Claymore but the ending was disappointing, Ergo Proxy is worth watching, Rahxephon was good but don't watch the movie before the show, it'll spoil tons of the plot, Gundam Wing is consistently good, the original Macross saga, Black Lagoon is some of the best post Cowboy BeBop gun slinging action around, Blade of the Samurai is very faithful to the original manga which I loved, Excel saga is hilarious (possibly skip the last episode, it's way over the top offensive on purpose).  That should keep you busy while I think of more and I'm sure HK will gladly toss some ideas into the mix as well.

Visit my Deviant Art page, home of Manic Depression: The Webcomic! http://thelastoutlaw.deviantart.com
Quote from: Dara
Mask, stapler, Machete.. The Last Outlaw: Like Jason, only more awesome, bitch.
HK-47
Brings the old-school pain and pimpin'
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Heaven's Smile, meet the Killer7

star.by.star@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #4778 on: April 04, 2013, 08:05:32 pm »

TLO covers the classics, I'll cover some... non-classic stuff.

One thing for Claymore, I will always remember volume 11's Battle of Pieta. Think it's in the anime but that segment kicks so much ass.

For your Netflix thingamabob:

Afro Samurai, badass samurai and shit. It's badass fights, a hip-hop soundtrack by the RZA, style and constant feats of awesome with no plot, little development, bad dialogue and writing and Ron Perlman/Samuel L. Jackson.
Afro Samurai: Resurrection, within the first 10 minutes or so.
Samurai 7, full stop. One of my favorite shows by far.
Baka to Test, it's stupid. So ridiculously stupid but so damn hilarious. And Hideyoshi  He love you long time
Hetalia's pretty good for five minute shorts.
Chobits! So sweet and adorable!

Ninja'd: 863
Log!
Skooma Addict
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

THROW A BLANKET OVER IT!

Losmosquitos42@hotmail.com Losmosquitos42
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4779 on: April 04, 2013, 08:16:58 pm »

There's a young girl from my childhood, and I believe she still lives in Michigan. Every time I see her face, I feel a decent amount of both guilt and shame.

When I was in... third grade? Maybe? some of the better readers in the class were taken to a kindergarten classroom to read to/teach reading to smaller children. I participated, and I spent the majority of my school career feeling somewhat pleased with myself over it. Towards the end of my 10th grade year, I saw her, and recognized her face, and I said "I remember when you were in Kindergarten and I went to your class and helped you learn to read!" She frowned at me for a moment, then said "Oh yeah, I remember you. You were really mean and told me I was terrible at reading."

Sometimes I think about that when I'm all alone and feeling like a jerk.

At least, that's what I think.
Synaster
ARC Support Staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #4780 on: April 05, 2013, 01:37:43 am »

Thanks, TLO and HK. This helps. With so many anime shows out there, it's hard to find the good ones without recommendations. Even if it's not on Netflix (I'm just making sure I get my money's worth), I still might be able to find it elsewhere on the web.

Is Tora Dora a good one? I found that one on CrunchyRoll.com.
HK-47
Brings the old-school pain and pimpin'
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Heaven's Smile, meet the Killer7

star.by.star@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #4781 on: April 05, 2013, 10:08:27 am »

You haven't watched Toradora? Looks like you're watching that next.

Ninja'd: 863
Synaster
ARC Support Staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #4782 on: April 05, 2013, 06:02:17 pm »

lol okay, then
Stan
Carbonite Dreamer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

mogley22@msn.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4783 on: April 06, 2013, 10:47:59 am »

You didn't seem to be gone THAT long, were you, Stan?

I've been sorta bingeing on anime on Netflix for almost a month. Trinity Blood, Fruits Basket (meh), Elfin Lied, and now Full Metal Alchemist. Anyone know of any good ones I'm completely missing out on?

SAMURAI 7

Jetraymongoose
The Waffle King!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Time Lord

markjohnson_303@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #4784 on: April 06, 2013, 07:23:01 pm »

lol okay, then

It's one of my favorites. I also really enjoyed Spice and Wolf, Darker Than Black, and the first 14 episodes of Sword Art Online are great. I also enjoyed Guilty Crown but I know other people are iffy about it.

All of time and space, anywhere and everywhere, any star that ever was. Where do you want to start?
Pages: 1 ... 317 318 [319] 320 321 ... 326   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: