The Zombie Hunters Forum: WE GO THERE.
October 22, 2014, 10:35:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: But I didn't mean to...

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 50   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Words on paper in this technological world, reading anything?  (Read 75037 times)
HK-47
Brings the old-school pain and pimpin'
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Heaven's Smile, meet the Killer7

star.by.star@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #570 on: January 23, 2012, 12:53:17 am »

Finished the fat tomb of ACoK and it was just as good as AGoT. Going to take a break with the fantasy/medieval stuff and head back to medieval.

Ninja'd: 863
Hailfax
Quartermaster
Zombie Hunter
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I'm your mother fucking Quartermaster

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #571 on: January 23, 2012, 07:47:12 pm »

Bought The Mugger by Ed McBain. He's like ...the author of all authors of crime novels so I am excited. And I'm gonna read Good Omens as well. I tried to finish American Gods, but I got bored with it kinda quickly. Maybe that wasn't a good novel to start off for Gaiman.

It's been a hard day's night
Age is no guarantee of efficiency
3DS friend code: 4613-6707-8466
HK-47
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

star.by.star@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #572 on: January 23, 2012, 08:48:53 pm »

Bought The Mugger by Ed McBain. He's like ...the author of all authors of crime novels so I am excited. And I'm gonna read Good Omens as well. I tried to finish American Gods, but I got bored with it kinda quickly. Maybe that wasn't a good novel to start off for Gaiman.

Anansi Boys then?
Personally loved the hell out of American Gods, especially the laid back Lakeside parts and the Anansi stories.

Hailfax
Quartermaster
Zombie Hunter
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #573 on: January 23, 2012, 09:24:07 pm »

Anansi Boys then?
Personally loved the hell out of American Gods, especially the laid back Lakeside parts and the Anansi stories.

I'm gonna try good omens first. I mean as a whole I do like Gaiman as an author, but with the other hype of people telling me about him, I can't enjoy some of his writing that I want to. I'll give American Gods another try when I'm not all pooped out by it. I also have King's 11/22/63 that I've been somewhat sloggin' though. It's a heavy book and I don't want to spend $14.99 for the copy on my kindle.

Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #574 on: January 23, 2012, 10:03:47 pm »

Can't you just pirate kindle books like anything else? Its not like anybody is losing anything if you do.

My photography tumblr page Skype: Yutrzenika
TheLastOutlaw
I calculated the odds of this succeeding against the odds I was doing something incredibly stupidů and I went ahead anyway.
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I have a hockey mask and a questionable moral code

outlaw_dr@hotmail.com Roadbuster roadbuster_99
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #575 on: January 24, 2012, 07:00:33 am »

Can't you just pirate kindle books like anything else? Its not like anybody is losing anything if you do.
Except the author who busted his ass to get published.

Visit my Deviant Art page, home of Manic Depression: The Webcomic! http://thelastoutlaw.deviantart.com
Quote from: Dara
Mask, stapler, Machete.. The Last Outlaw: Like Jason, only more awesome, bitch.
Log!
Skooma Addict
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

THROW A BLANKET OVER IT!

Losmosquitos42@hotmail.com Losmosquitos42
View Profile WWW
« Reply #576 on: January 24, 2012, 10:12:11 am »

I can't... This... Your math... What?

And I'm gonna read Good Omens as well. I tried to finish American Gods, but I got bored with it kinda quickly. Maybe that wasn't a good novel to start off for Gaiman.

Correct me if I'm remembering wrong, as it's been a while since I've read any of Gaiman's stuff, but isn't American Gods pretty close to his general writing style?

Good Omens is a supermegaspectacular book, but it was written by Gaiman partnered up Terry Pratchett, and as Pratchett is a comedy writer, the novel follows Gaiman's MO (Slow, interesting build=> Spectacular denouement), but is really lightened up. So, maybe it's a good start.

And if you're looking for some books to just kind of pass the time, Check out anything written by Christopher Moore (The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove, Bite Me, You Suck, or my number one pick, A Dirty Job). His books are short, but hilarious and awesome. They're kind of like a piece of candy that you eat in between meals.

At least, that's what I think.
HK-47
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

star.by.star@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #577 on: January 24, 2012, 03:47:34 pm »

Why not just go to the library then?

Stan
Carbonite Dreamer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

booty butt booty butt booty butt cheeks

mogley22@msn.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #578 on: January 24, 2012, 04:28:27 pm »

I shovel walks, most times for free, but rare occasions occur when I get a fiver, I save it, and I await the next snowfall, and shovel the next block, aquiring trace ammounts of change, and I SAVE IT. AND THEN. WHEN I HAVE THE MONEY. I MAKE THE 7 K JOURNEY TO THA BOOKSTORE. AND  BUY THE BOOK.

Thats the most effort I put into anything.

/howido.

If you're gonna do that shit, do it about one of those ontario elections that always end in the cops chasing a rapist around a tim hortons or some shit.
Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #579 on: January 24, 2012, 04:45:01 pm »

I can't... This... Your math... What?
$14.99 for a digital book is overpriced. Its the same situation with digital comics, they charge the same price for the physical thing, maybe like a dollar less, and everybody pirates them because of it, but they need to realize that digital books, like digital comics, won't take off until they're selling them for half the price of the physical copy. Tons of people will buy them at that price. Digital books and comics are in infinite supply, they don't need to worry about running out like book stores, why not sell them cheaper since they're not in such high demand?
Why not just go to the library then?
Because some people don't like lugging a book around with them everywhere they go? Kindles are convenient and portable.

HK-47
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

star.by.star@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #580 on: January 24, 2012, 04:53:51 pm »

I shovel walks, most times for free, but rare occasions occur when I get a fiver, I save it, and I await the next snowfall, and shovel the next block, aquiring trace ammounts of change, and I SAVE IT. AND THEN. WHEN I HAVE THE MONEY. I MAKE THE 7 K JOURNEY TO THA BOOKSTORE. AND  BUY THE BOOK.

Thats the most effort I put into anything.

/howido.

I use my fivers, tenners or the occasional twenty on games, cheap ones to get the most out of my cash money and buy a book once in a while. But that one book I bought, Anansi Boys, I still make a yearly reading of it when I have a few dozen books unread. And a tenner I had went to six books on a sale, one I've read trice.

So well done, son.

Because some people don't like lugging a book around with them everywhere they go? Kindles are convenient and portable.

Never considered you meatbags and your unwillingness to lug around a paperback tomb. And Kindles are way more expensive than a library card, the late fees you'll accumulate and the price of carrying a few extra pounds, depending on the book.

And currently reading The Greatest Knight by Elizabeth Chadwick. It had a knight on the cover.

Stan
Carbonite Dreamer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

booty butt booty butt booty butt cheeks

mogley22@msn.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #581 on: January 24, 2012, 05:01:27 pm »

Im so close to finishing Dead Men Walking.

IT IS SUCH A GOOD BOOK, THE BLACK LIBRARY WRITERS ARE SO SO GOOD.

Though, if Warhammers not really your thing, you should still look up the other stories by these authors, I can almost assure theyll be amazing.

If you're gonna do that shit, do it about one of those ontario elections that always end in the cops chasing a rapist around a tim hortons or some shit.
Hailfax
Quartermaster
Zombie Hunter
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #582 on: January 24, 2012, 05:26:47 pm »

Correct me if I'm remembering wrong, as it's been a while since I've read any of Gaiman's stuff, but isn't American Gods pretty close to his general writing style?

Good Omens is a supermegaspectacular book, but it was written by Gaiman partnered up Terry Pratchett, and as Pratchett is a comedy writer, the novel follows Gaiman's MO (Slow, interesting build=> Spectacular denouement), but is really lightened up. So, maybe it's a good start.

And if you're looking for some books to just kind of pass the time, Check out anything written by Christopher Moore (The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove, Bite Me, You Suck, or my number one pick, A Dirty Job). His books are short, but hilarious and awesome. They're kind of like a piece of candy that you eat in between meals.

1. I'm pretty sure. I'm just trying to get through it. But I kinda got lost in the writing. I might have to reread the whole book.
2. I think this is a better choice to get down his writing style as well as Pratchett's. These are two authors that I don't read a lot so it's interesting to get new perspective on other authors.
3. I do love me some Christopher Moore. :3 Coyote Blue is actually one of my favorite books from him. eee.

Just started reading The Mugger. I'm more excited reading this than I should be.

Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #583 on: January 24, 2012, 05:32:57 pm »

Man I just don't even want to read. I'm trying to read my Halo novel, it's really good, and I do enjoy it, but I just never feel like reading anymore. The last time I actually used my free time to read was my Dead Space novel.

Log!
Skooma Addict
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

THROW A BLANKET OVER IT!

Losmosquitos42@hotmail.com Losmosquitos42
View Profile WWW
« Reply #584 on: January 24, 2012, 06:32:41 pm »

$14.99 for a digital book is overpriced. Its the same situation with digital comics, they charge the same price for the physical thing, maybe like a dollar less, and everybody pirates them because of it, but they need to realize that digital books, like digital comics, won't take off until they're selling them for half the price of the physical copy. Tons of people will buy them at that price. Digital books and comics are in infinite supply, they don't need to worry about running out like book stores, why not sell them cheaper since they're not in such high demand?Because some people don't like lugging a book around with them everywhere they go? Kindles are convenient and portable.

Right, but people are still losing money when you pirate them.

At least, that's what I think.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 50   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: