The Zombie Hunters Forum: WE GO THERE.
November 01, 2014, 01:03:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HOLY CRAPTARDS!!!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 50   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Words on paper in this technological world, reading anything?  (Read 76355 times)
HK-47
Brings the old-school pain and pimpin'
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Heaven's Smile, meet the Killer7

star.by.star@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #645 on: July 02, 2012, 01:13:56 am »

Started Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie and just like the first two, Glokta is one of the best damn characters in fantasy, with the others being pretty great too. Amazing stuff.

Ninja'd: 863
Fiveofclubs
ARC Support Staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #646 on: July 02, 2012, 06:32:56 am »

Reading Robopocalypse.  It is basically World War Z (told in similar style with people around the globe fighting back in different ways), but against robots instead of zombie.  Not a bad read.  Next up either the latest William Gibson, or Atlas Shrugged.

Mike
Five of Clubs
Greg
Totally not a vampire
Red Halo Officer
ARC Support Staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #647 on: July 03, 2012, 01:19:49 pm »

Okay... I just finished Tom Kratman's "A Desert Called Peace".

It's just more of the usual right-wing pap that Baen's current crop of 'authors' shovels out. Poorly edited, pausing in the middle for screeds about how "TORCHUR WORKS DAD GUMMIT THAT'S WHY MAH CHARACTERS GOTTA HAVE A TORCHURER T' GET TH' INFERMASHUNS FRUM TH' TERRISTS", lots of awkwardly inserted sex scenes, the villains are all terrorists, liberals, homosexuals, muslims, the educated 'elite', and the heroes are all wealthy, well-to-do white males who are glorious and terrible in war and have trust funds and inherited wealth and get paid to go to war and just fight all the wars against the eeeeeeeevil turrists...

If it weren't free, I'd not have read it. Having read it, it just disappoints... as do all of Baen's newest authors that I can think of. I'm really disappointed in the company as a whole- they no longer edit *anything*... or if they do, I'd hate to think what the original manuscripts looked like.

I enjoy well-written military SF. I was in the Army, I'm male, etc. ... the genre has its appeal. But I'm *not* seeing any new authors that write like they know a damn thing about it. *especially* the ones that claim to have been in the service, like Williamson, Kratman, and especially Ringo. Christ, those three are bad. That said, Williamson at least can write, for all his writings are frequently taken over by soapbox rambling. He's the sort who would benefit from editing... but by the time the editing was done, his works would be adventure sci-fi. Well done, but adventure sci fi all the same.

I'm looking for another author like David Drake. Someone who has seen the elephant, or at the very least done a really good job studying it. War is not, and never will be glorious. Combat is a different manner of experience than these new authors write about, and the way they write merely showcases that they have never been there- that, in fact, they're the sort who profoundly WISH they had been because they're sure they'd have been GREAT at it, and way better than everyone else. The blind egotism infects every aspect of their writing.

In the same vein, I'm looking for someone who can envision a future as more than just "Today! Like, in space!" Whatever social pressures and conflicts a spacefaring civilization has, they will by necessity be different than what we do today. They may be caused by the same steps on Maselow's heirarchy of needs, and in fact I'm sure they will... but they will not be the exact SAME sort of stupidity. People of the future will have their own NEW stupidities.

I want an author who hasn't got his head so far up his own ass he's getting acid burns on his chin. That'd be nice.

Seriously, where are my generation's authors? Do we not look toward the future any more, and speculate on what might be?
TheLastOutlaw
I calculated the odds of this succeeding against the odds I was doing something incredibly stupidů and I went ahead anyway.
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I have a hockey mask and a questionable moral code

outlaw_dr@hotmail.com Roadbuster roadbuster_99
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #648 on: July 03, 2012, 01:22:38 pm »

Seriously, where are my generation's authors? Do we not look toward the future any more, and speculate on what might be?
Sorry man, I keep trying but real life gets in the way of my writing time.  That and my crippling video game addictions.

Visit my Deviant Art page, home of Manic Depression: The Webcomic! http://thelastoutlaw.deviantart.com
Quote from: Dara
Mask, stapler, Machete.. The Last Outlaw: Like Jason, only more awesome, bitch.
AmadeusMaxwell
Zombie with Mad Elite Skills
Zombie Hunter
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Straight from the land that God forgot.

AmadeusMaxwell ZMES_Matt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #649 on: July 03, 2012, 04:07:53 pm »

We look toward the future, then do our best not to think about it. Tongue

Greg
Totally not a vampire
Red Halo Officer
ARC Support Staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #650 on: July 03, 2012, 05:02:10 pm »

We look toward the future, then do our best not to think about it. Tongue

Well, dystopia does seem to be our lot in life, until our elder, moneyed generations die off... but then, why, we could do simply marvelous things!

Sorry man, I keep trying but real life gets in the way of my writing time.  That and my crippling video game addictions.
To you I say, blah!
TheLastOutlaw
I calculated the odds of this succeeding against the odds I was doing something incredibly stupidů and I went ahead anyway.
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I have a hockey mask and a questionable moral code

outlaw_dr@hotmail.com Roadbuster roadbuster_99
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #651 on: July 03, 2012, 05:15:00 pm »

To you I say, beer!
Fixed.

Visit my Deviant Art page, home of Manic Depression: The Webcomic! http://thelastoutlaw.deviantart.com
Quote from: Dara
Mask, stapler, Machete.. The Last Outlaw: Like Jason, only more awesome, bitch.
Fiveofclubs
ARC Support Staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #652 on: July 03, 2012, 06:53:50 pm »

I'm looking for another author like David Drake.

Tough to compete with Drake in that arena as it is his niche. 

If you haven't tried them...

The Fleet (and anthology) David Drake and Bill Fawcett
Hell is for Heroes - Drake with a bunch of his buddies

Outside of that some of the Warhammer 40k novels are actually decent.  Any of the ones about Gaunt's Ghosts.

I mentioned a few posts back rediscovering a comic book series Alien Legion.  Essentially they were going for a retelling of the French Foriegn Legion tales.  I believe they redid some of the stories in trade paperbacks.

Drake and authors his age had fathers and uncles who served in WWII.  I think their view of war is very different from children of Vietnam vets.  The former tell of the honor and glory in the horrors of war, where the later war as a horror with no point.  Then you look at the current crop of authors coming up and their view of war is much more media based with a dash of driven by corporate greed. 

Mike
Five of Clubs
Jetraymongoose
The Waffle King!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Time Lord

markjohnson_303@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #653 on: July 03, 2012, 11:55:08 pm »

Just re-read The Lies of Locke Lamora. Still fucking awesome.

All of time and space, anywhere and everywhere, any star that ever was. Where do you want to start?
Major Cobalt
You can call me... Jeremy.
ARC Support Staff

We will defend The High Hillock

View Profile Email
« Reply #654 on: July 07, 2012, 02:43:28 pm »

A Game of Thrones
I have a problem, the least of which being I'm late to the party.

fuck everything. literally, everything that exists. fuck it.
AP: I dont watch baseball, but Cobalt has given me a reason to cheer for the braves anyway
--Pappa Cricco--
Cricco was here
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I think I may of snapped...

done_done_onto_the_next_one@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #655 on: July 09, 2012, 05:08:27 am »

A teach yourself Latin book,
Crusade by robyn young
And the hobbit.
As well as several books on gardening and a book on green woodworking

Jetraymongoose
The Waffle King!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Time Lord

markjohnson_303@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #656 on: July 09, 2012, 09:55:40 am »

I'm going to try and read either the Illiad or Dreams From the Witch House, the Penguin Books H.P Lovecraft Anthology.

All of time and space, anywhere and everywhere, any star that ever was. Where do you want to start?
HK-47
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

star.by.star@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #657 on: July 21, 2012, 01:20:03 am »

Skullkickers, it's about a badass heavy and a dwarf kicking ass, making witty comments and kicking more ass with the best sound effects action effect sound stuff out there. Low on plot, high on action and awesome.
In case you want more manly action in your comics, check it out here.

AmadeusMaxwell
Zombie with Mad Elite Skills
Zombie Hunter
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Straight from the land that God forgot.

AmadeusMaxwell ZMES_Matt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #658 on: July 24, 2012, 06:40:36 pm »

Finished The Hellbound Heart last night. Didn't much care for it. I'm gonna give some more Clive Barker stories a try though, just because Mister B Gone was so amazing. Hopefully the Books of Blood are better.

*Edit: Actually, just started Flowers for Algernon this morning and I'm a little over half way through it. Read it a long time ago back in middle school, and I can't believe there's so much I didn't remember. It's a great story; so many feels...
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 09:47:17 pm by AmadeusMaxwell » Logged

HK-47
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

star.by.star@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #659 on: July 26, 2012, 11:52:24 pm »

Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie, as usual, great stuff with dark humor, killing and very few heroes.

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 50   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: