The Zombie Hunters Forum: WE GO THERE.
December 20, 2014, 04:17:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: But I didn't mean to...

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 50   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Words on paper in this technological world, reading anything?  (Read 79240 times)
FireFog
Wastelander

Fast and Fourier

View Profile Email
« Reply #690 on: January 13, 2013, 07:41:30 am »

"H. P. Lovecraft : Against the World, Against Life", by Michel Houellebecq (had to look up the name to write it right xD), found it in an used book shop, bought it for a few coins and I am not disapointed, as the book, rather than give a straight biography of HPL, shows the influence of his experiences on his works and the ideas he defended. A short, interesting read.

Engrish as second language
NerdPower!
MEOWTH! That's right!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Vote Saxon this November!

nerdpower13@hotmail.com nerdpower13 cooldude24597@yahoo.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #691 on: January 13, 2013, 02:33:36 pm »

American Gods because Neil Gaiman is amazing.

HK-47
Brings the old-school pain and pimpin'
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Heaven's Smile, meet the Killer7

star.by.star@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #692 on: January 13, 2013, 05:40:14 pm »

Going to have to do my annual American Gods/Anansi Boys reading sometime.

Ninja'd: 863
TeeZee
The Huggly One
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

View Profile
« Reply #693 on: February 15, 2013, 02:25:52 am »

American Gods was a fantastic book. Wish I still had my old copy, but I ended up giving it to the guy who'd suggested it to me in the first place so he could re-read it.

Not sure if comics count, but I've gone ahead and re-read all of Joe Hill's Locke and Key. Hands down, one of the best comics I've ever read. Five issues to be released, and it's kind of a bittersweet feeling. While I simply cannot wait for the conclusion, I just don't want it to be over so soon.

More comics I've been reading lately:

-Crossed. I've read every arc but Psychopath, and I don't know why I keep coming back. It's sick, disturbing, and really not all that great, but...I guess it's that morbid curiosity. I will say, the webcomic, Wish You Were Here, has been pretty good though.

-The Walking Dead...unpopular opinion time, but I think the series is kind of living up to its name. I kinda want someone to go ahead and put it out of its misery. The comic is barely appealing anymore and the show pretty much lost me after season two. I still catch up on it from time to time, but eh. Telltale Games' version of the series reigns supreme.

-House of Mystery. Interesting enough. It's supposed to play out as an anthology series with a larger, more important story arc going on outside of the tales. Started to go downhill toward the end, though. But there were dinosaurs and vampire cats. And a ninja gorilla. In space.

-Revival. Only six issues so far, but it's pretty good. An interesting take on the whole dead rising again thing.
TheLastOutlaw
I calculated the odds of this succeeding against the odds I was doing something incredibly stupidů and I went ahead anyway.
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I have a hockey mask and a questionable moral code

outlaw_dr@hotmail.com Roadbuster roadbuster_99
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #694 on: February 15, 2013, 05:46:52 am »

I totally agree on the Walking Dead.  I really lost interest in reading it shortly after the prison storyline because he with the subtlety of a sledgehammer it was made apparent there never will be a satisfying ending and the characters had all changed to the point I no longer really cared about them.  The show never did manage to hold my attention, and Tell Tale indeed is shining jewel in the walking dead crown.  I just hope they can make a strong season two given the drastic cast reduction/differences.

Visit my Deviant Art page, home of Manic Depression: The Webcomic! http://thelastoutlaw.deviantart.com
Quote from: Dara
Mask, stapler, Machete.. The Last Outlaw: Like Jason, only more awesome, bitch.
HK-47
Brings the old-school pain and pimpin'
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Heaven's Smile, meet the Killer7

star.by.star@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #695 on: February 19, 2013, 09:37:57 pm »

GE - Good Ending, damn amazing rom/com/drama, just amazing. The characters really sell it and like all good romance/drama in whatever medium, you feel for them. And this is one where I don't really have a preference to one gal.

Ninja'd: 863
Opus Fluke
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Fluke Laboratories: EVOLVE TODAY!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #696 on: February 28, 2013, 09:21:00 am »

Melanie Rawn's Dragon Prince Trilogy.
Book One ("Dragon Prince"): IGNORE the crap cover and title! Seriously! Yes, there's dragons. Yes, there's magic. But it's really about political intrigue and backstabbing fit for a Byzantine court ruled by The Borgias.
Halfway through the second book ("Star Scroll") and there's even more politics afoot. Most Fantasy books come with a map. Some even come with a list of characters. This blighter has these AND genealogies. Keeping track of the intrigues gives me a headache. In a good way.

And I couldn't have done it without Fluke Labs! *thumbs up at camera*
Fatman
SRS Giraffe
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Passive agressive part-time douchebag

View Profile WWW
« Reply #697 on: May 02, 2013, 12:57:12 pm »

Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea (Barbara Demick. 2009). Really good book. Real people in one of the worst countries in a world.

EDIT.

Metro 2033 (Dmitri Gluhovski, 2005). Post-apocalyptic science fiction.
"In 2013, a nuclear war occurred, forcing a large amount of Moscow's surviving population to relocate to underground metro stations in search of refuge from the outside world. Eventually, those who settled in the underground train stations evolved their homes into independent station-countries.. Soon, new factions grew, starting with new Soviet Union (whose members were strong Marx idealists) and the Fourth Reich (or neo-Nazis). As these small states began to evolve, the New Soviet Union and the Fourth Reich entered war, as both sought to control the metro and its resources. As the war raged, those stations who refused to join either side were massacred by the militants, raided by bandits, or outright destroyed by the Dark Ones - paranormal, otherworldly, mutated humans and animals who live in the nuclear-ravaged surface world. In one of these stations is where the events of Metro 2033 unfold." -wikipedia.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:05:14 pm by Fatman » Logged

Quote from: --Cricco--
Has a smile that is linked to Armageddon.
Quote from: Hailfax
In short, I hate you Fatman and I am going to kill you and replace you with me so I can live in a dorm as cheap as that.
Quote from: sok
HOW MUCH DID YOU DRINK?
Eyebrows
Zombie

Oh yes.

View Profile Email
« Reply #698 on: June 23, 2013, 02:15:56 pm »

I don't know if it's been brought up in this thread yet or not, but I really like Mark Z Danielewski's "House of Leaves"

If you haven't read it, I'll try to explain it without too many spoilers...

The book is about a book that is about a movie that doesn't exist that is about a house that is bigger on the inside than it is outside. (Mathematically impossible, obviously)

Alongside this, there is another story about the guy who found the book named Johnny Truant, and his battles with depression, drugs, alcohol, and existential crises. This takes place in footnotes throughout the book.

It's a difficult read, due in large to how the book is presented. It uses blank space to create a feeling of tension at some points, and some parts are like reading your way through a maze. (You'll have to see to understand what I mean) And the book refers you to other parts of the book throughout, and you have to skip around to get a good idea of what's going on. There's also a number of other languages throughout, as well as quotes (both real and not) by people (both real and not) throughout.

Probably my favorite book.

Also, Mikhail Bulgakov's "The Master and Margarita"

Really good book, took me a while to get into, but it's about Russians, Satan, witches, Pontius Pilate and Jesus... Really good read too, if a little confusing as far as name goes. (Like Ivan Nikolayovich and Niko Ivanovich)

So yeah...
Am I cool?
 Yes, I am a smug bastard...

(Edit: Also, there are many many codes and hidden messages well... hidden... through House of Leaves.)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 02:19:02 pm by Eyebrows » Logged

I actually like RC Cola.
 He love you long time He love you long time He love you long time He love you long time
Hailfax
Quartermaster
Zombie Hunter
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I'm your mother fucking Quartermaster

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #699 on: June 23, 2013, 02:52:10 pm »

House of Leaves is mah favorite book. I love that book to pieces. :3

I've been reading Red Dragon/Hannibal series.

It's really fucking good.

It's been a hard day's night
Age is no guarantee of efficiency
3DS friend code: 4613-6707-8466
Eyebrows
Zombie

Oh yes.

View Profile Email
« Reply #700 on: June 23, 2013, 03:15:32 pm »

House of Leaves is mah favorite book. I love that book to pieces. :3

I've been reading Red Dragon/Hannibal series.

It's really fucking good.

(click to show/hide)

I actually like RC Cola.
 He love you long time He love you long time He love you long time He love you long time
Hailfax
Quartermaster
Zombie Hunter
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I'm your mother fucking Quartermaster

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #701 on: June 23, 2013, 04:04:12 pm »

Apparently, he made a Whalestoe Letters book. I've been trying to find it, but no success. It's damn near impossible to find.

Just downloaded Cloud Atlas. Really excited to read it.

It's been a hard day's night
Age is no guarantee of efficiency
3DS friend code: 4613-6707-8466
Greg
Totally not a vampire
Red Halo Officer
ARC Support Staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #702 on: July 02, 2013, 07:27:25 pm »

Lately I'm reading a bunch of forgotten realms books, to get ready for an upcoming D&D game. The writing is very uneven, depending on who's doing the writing of any given book, but it really does flesh out the world. Azure Bonds was really a fun concept- I love a book that explores the questions of 'what makes a person?', even in the D&D world where you can basically check their character sheet and just get an answer.
Eyebrows
Zombie

Oh yes.

View Profile Email
« Reply #703 on: July 04, 2013, 03:03:59 am »

So, has anyone here ever heard of He Died With A Felafel In His Hand?

It's really short but it's really good.

Also there's a movie based on it, and it's one of the rare occasions where I like the movie and the book equally. Don't get me wrong, they're both REALLY different but they're both REALLY good in their own ways, in my opinion.

Here's a trailer for the movie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQFC00VVSBw

I actually like RC Cola.
NerdPower!
MEOWTH! That's right!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Vote Saxon this November!

nerdpower13@hotmail.com nerdpower13 cooldude24597@yahoo.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #704 on: July 20, 2013, 11:38:26 pm »

I'm reading Neuromancer FINALLY because I got a copy for $0.75 at Goodwill and it is amazing! I'm also re-reading the entire Wheel of Time series since the last book finally came out. I'm halfway done with Book Seven now.

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 50   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: