The Zombie Hunters Forum: WE GO THERE.
December 19, 2014, 06:15:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mah arms are scarf!!  Dey go, "WEE WOO WEE WOO!"

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 470 471 [472] 473 474 ... 564   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you playing? Episode 2: Sequel Reloaded!  (Read 606655 times)
TheLastOutlaw
I calculated the odds of this succeeding against the odds I was doing something incredibly stupidů and I went ahead anyway.
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I have a hockey mask and a questionable moral code

outlaw_dr@hotmail.com Roadbuster roadbuster_99
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7065 on: February 05, 2013, 12:38:15 pm »

My observations on Dark Souls so far.

The message system is maddening.  The info you can provide is vague to the point of being useless and most of the message I'm finding are just blatant humanity farming.  Of course the ones I leave attempting to be helpful are never upvoted.  Jerks. 

I love the Estoc.  Once I figured out what the stab reach was when wielded two handed I rarely use anything else. 

It's definitely hard but so far I haven't permanently lost any XP or anything (knock on virtual wood).  Maybe it's my roguelike experience helping my mindset but I've been going in short exploratory excursions using my estus flask like a fuel gauge on a long trip.  Like, "Oops, only half left, time to head back to my bonfire."  Interspersed with this slow but steady exploration are the crazed suicide runs I'll make right after I level and have less souls to loose but even those haven't resulted in permanent loss of anything though I was worried for a bit about the souls I lost deep in the cemetary by where you find the binoculars.  It took a few tries of racing back to reclaim my souls and trying to get back out again before I died in a "safe" place.  My exploration and suicide looting runs have gathered a good variety of items and weapons (Master Key for the win) and I feel like I'm doing rather well.  I keep waiting for the bottom to drop out though.

Visit my Deviant Art page, home of Manic Depression: The Webcomic! http://thelastoutlaw.deviantart.com
Quote from: Dara
Mask, stapler, Machete.. The Last Outlaw: Like Jason, only more awesome, bitch.
Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #7066 on: February 05, 2013, 02:59:09 pm »

The message thing can be annoying yeah, it has sometimes proved helpful, but that's uncommon.

I say old chap, your taste is quite ho-hum, absolutely dreadful good sir  Yes, I am a smug bastard...

I thought it was a pretty good game: stealth-light and not over-reliant on not being seen, some solid platforming elements with a few mishaps here and there, bosses that batted overall above average with a few stinkers, nice art style and plenty of charm and the chase scene in the opening level remains as one of my favorite segments in the series so far.
And no bugs in the PS2 version that I can recall.
Oh the platforming, story, and art are great... But I couldn't get past having to go through the same thing every world, Go to hub>Get Keys>Go to next hub>Get more keys>Boss battle, after awhile it just got so tedious and repetitive. At about the third world the only reason I was playing was to see what happens next in the story, and not because I was enjoying it. I wasn't a fan of the tacked on mini games "SLY, YOU GOTTA SHOOT TWENTY BOXES IN TWO MINUTES TO GET THE KEY BECAUSE VIDEO GAME", I just found it to be really lazy.
Everything feels too gamey, it doesn't do a good job of pulling me into the world of sly, what I mean by that is there's lots of video game logic, bosses open themselves wide up for attack like they want to die, giving you constraints like the aforementioned "Shoot these in 2 minutes" thing for no given reason other than to make the game more of a challenge, I dunno, I just would like there to be a bit of logic.
The climbing stuff you do with the circle button is what I found to be buggy, there was the odd occasion where it just would not work, and I'd miss and fall, this happened a lot with the final levels of the game with Clockwerk. I dunno, maybe it was good back then, but I certainly don't think it has aged well.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 03:02:26 pm by Yutrzenika » Logged

My photography tumblr page Skype: Yutrzenika
TheLastOutlaw
I calculated the odds of this succeeding against the odds I was doing something incredibly stupidů and I went ahead anyway.
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7067 on: February 05, 2013, 07:42:54 pm »

Of course after patting myself on the back I fell off a cliff while dodging an attack and lost my stuff.  The souls I don't care about as much but the humanity loss sucked.

Visit my Deviant Art page, home of Manic Depression: The Webcomic! http://thelastoutlaw.deviantart.com
Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #7068 on: February 05, 2013, 08:09:01 pm »

Started on Sly 2. This game is sooooo much better.

HK-47
Brings the old-school pain and pimpin'
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Heaven's Smile, meet the Killer7

star.by.star@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #7069 on: February 05, 2013, 09:09:40 pm »

True that, game's a work of awesome.

The message thing can be annoying yeah, it has sometimes proved helpful, but that's uncommon.
Oh the platforming, story, and art are great... But I couldn't get past having to go through the same thing every world, Go to hub>Get Keys>Go to next hub>Get more keys>Boss battle, after awhile it just got so tedious and repetitive. At about the third world the only reason I was playing was to see what happens next in the story, and not because I was enjoying it. I wasn't a fan of the tacked on mini games "SLY, YOU GOTTA SHOOT TWENTY BOXES IN TWO MINUTES TO GET THE KEY BECAUSE VIDEO GAME", I just found it to be really lazy.
Everything feels too gamey, it doesn't do a good job of pulling me into the world of sly, what I mean by that is there's lots of video game logic, bosses open themselves wide up for attack like they want to die, giving you constraints like the aforementioned "Shoot these in 2 minutes" thing for no given reason other than to make the game more of a challenge, I dunno, I just would like there to be a bit of logic.
The climbing stuff you do with the circle button is what I found to be buggy, there was the odd occasion where it just would not work, and I'd miss and fall, this happened a lot with the final levels of the game with Clockwerk. I dunno, maybe it was good back then, but I certainly don't think it has aged well.

At least you gave it some props, and I do agree on some anti-points. I'll be content that you enjoyed that awesome platforming.

Dungeons of Dredmor, if I'm not doing a joke build on easy for that achievment, it's a combo that actually has... potential. But damn if Commie Tourist Pirate doesn't sound enticing.

Ninja'd: 863
Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #7070 on: February 05, 2013, 09:42:48 pm »

I guess I take back how terrible it is, I still don't really like it, but I was just really frustrated with the final levels. The problem I described with climbing stuff came to be a huge issue when you climb Clockwerk's deathray, I got 2 game overs because Sly just didn't wanna grab onto stuff, this problem came up again when you go to finish off Clockwerk as well (Sly, why couldn't you just fly the jet pack over to him?), and then the actual battle was a pain, the part with the rings he throws at you in particular, despite my best efforts to fly through the center of them, he would still hit me, I don't think the one hit and you're dead thing worked so well with this game.

EDIT: Started on Jak & Daxter, now here is a game that has aged well.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 12:48:09 am by Yutrzenika » Logged

HK-47
Brings the old-school pain and pimpin'
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Heaven's Smile, meet the Killer7

star.by.star@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #7071 on: February 06, 2013, 01:08:15 am »

I can second and third that Clockwerk boss battle fiasco. Didn't mind the "Lava rushing up your ass" segment after a while but the rings, they got me too. Everything after the platforming/quick footwork was fuel for pure hatred.

Jak & Daxter, that was one of the best platformers I've ever played. Ever.

Same ol' game, running a Fire Magic/Blood Mage/Ley Walker and it's just damn awesome. Pure glass cannon variety but torching everything in sight and having crazy MP regen is some of the best fun in the game.

Ninja'd: 863
Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #7072 on: February 06, 2013, 06:21:05 am »

Dark Souls! Doing decentish so far, able to kill Black Knights with moderate ease, just all about parrying at the right time. I went back to the asylum where there's two of the guys, at the off chance I might get a Black Knight shield or Black Knight sword from one of them, and unfortunately I didn't... Also got the drake sword, which is fantastic for beginners. I named my character "Zora", which is a Serbian name meaning "Dawn", or "Sunrise", I thought it was appropriate, what with Solaire, "Praise the Sun!" and all that.

TheLastOutlaw
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7073 on: February 06, 2013, 10:23:15 am »

I haven't got the hang of parrying yet, the first Black Knight I came across kicked my ass like it was nothing.  I'm currently hanging around the Bonfire in upper Undead Burg (which I least managed to kindle) while I'm grinding.  I did use the master key to unlock a door leading down a huge spiral staircase where a fucking enormous guy who looks like a tank with a sword bigger than my character destroyed me.  That was fun.  So far the things standing in my way of progression are:

Tank Man
That Black Knight
Ghosts
A living dragon statue or undead dragon thingummy
Two giant fat goblin things

I did manage to at least loot the sword and shield that were in front of the dragon thing before it came to life and tried to kill me.  The sword seems great, I have a hard time deciding whether to use it or to stick with the ridiculous range of the Estoc.

I should probably mention that I'm likely facing at least three of things on the list before I'm "supposed" to because I used the Master Key.

@Yut, wait, how did you get back to the Asylum?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 10:25:39 am by TheLastOutlaw » Logged

Log!
Skooma Addict
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

THROW A BLANKET OVER IT!

Losmosquitos42@hotmail.com Losmosquitos42
View Profile WWW
« Reply #7074 on: February 06, 2013, 12:10:33 pm »

There's a nest in the main area that you interact with to go back.

At least, that's what I think.
TheLastOutlaw
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7075 on: February 06, 2013, 12:37:23 pm »

Huh, I thought I had searched that area pretty thoroughly.  Things to do when I get back from Undead Burg...

Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #7076 on: February 06, 2013, 02:16:17 pm »

It's not very obvious how to get to it. You need to activate the elevator in the church, and then while you're taking the elevator you walk off of it onto a roof, jump onto another thing... And you can sit in the crow nest and it takes you back. There's also a key for a locked door in the asylum nearby.

TheLastOutlaw
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7077 on: February 06, 2013, 02:25:54 pm »

Ah, haven't gotten to the church yet.  One of these days...

Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #7078 on: February 06, 2013, 02:34:16 pm »

I only just got there, meaning at some point I'll have to face those gargoyles. Woo.

Gezkill
ARC Support Staff

Freebootaz Kommando

Mendror
View Profile
« Reply #7079 on: February 06, 2013, 06:35:19 pm »

More Fire Emblem Awakening.

This game will probably set new standards in future Fire Emblem games, the whole marriage/child system is fricken neat and I love the fact that I can actually fight in sorta random battles this time, also got Marth from the very first game on my team so yeah.

"Dem Undead Gits go down just like any 'umies do, just gotta aim for da 'ead."
"Dakkadakkadakka"
"Nothing like the smell of hot plasma in the morning"
Pages: 1 ... 470 471 [472] 473 474 ... 564   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: