The Zombie Hunters Forum: WE GO THERE.
November 01, 2014, 04:36:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Oh, Gutted Hobo...you tried to steal supplies, and ended up stealing our hearts.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 482 483 [484] 485 486 ... 563   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you playing? Episode 2: Sequel Reloaded!  (Read 578281 times)
Log!
Skooma Addict
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

THROW A BLANKET OVER IT!

Losmosquitos42@hotmail.com Losmosquitos42
View Profile WWW
« Reply #7245 on: March 05, 2013, 11:21:33 am »

I'm playing Tomb Raider as well. It's pretty good so far, but these fucking quicktime events are killing me. I don't know if it's controller lag or what, but I just have to mash the Y button during cutscenes because they keep popping up, and no matter how many times I press the Y button while it's actually on the screen, I fucking die. And, of course, I love that I have to watch Lara be killed in excruciating ways every time I fail one of these fucking things. Jesus.

If you're someone who hates that games tell you things about what's happening, this is definitely a game for you. I was just zoomed in shooting a guy, when suddenly I started taking damage. When I zoomed out, the platform I'm standing on is completely on fire and it's literally impossible for me to get away without dying. Apparently, the fire was following me up the shaft and I was supposed to just keep climbing. Also, for some weird reason, she will absolutely never use the axe she has for combat. No idea why. She'd rather choke a dude to death with her bow than just open his throat with the blade or something. Also also, Lara. Put on a fucking coat. I feel bad for you that you're shivering and all, but for christ's sake, woman. You just killed four guys who are all wearing much more protective gear than you are. Take a fucking coat.

All of that aside, This game is quite good. They managed to make the game linear, yet oddly open world. You move from one area to the next in the story, but each area has a lot of shit. Plenty of nooks and crannies, animals to hunt, shit to find, side tombs to explore. Pretty neat.

Also, I feel bad for you console Skyrim guys. When I fucked up a skill tree, I could just open the console and delete the perk I bought and buy the perk I wanted.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 12:36:20 pm by Log! » Logged

At least, that's what I think.
HK-47
Brings the old-school pain and pimpin'
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Heaven's Smile, meet the Killer7

star.by.star@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #7246 on: March 05, 2013, 01:29:06 pm »

Civilization III, some guy completed The Temple of Artemis, worthless for me since on a Pangaea map I get placed on a turd of an island in the middle of nowhere and every time I send a Galley out, it fucking sinks in the sea despite the Civilopedia saying galleys can traverse the kraken-filled waters. There is no RNG in this... and to make matters worse, The Americans flipped the bird with the completion of The Oracle, which I was building, and some time later, after the Temple of Artemis, I get a news report that 4 other civs complete four fucking wonders at the same fucking time. And the Americans again the turn after.

Ninja'd: 863
TheLastOutlaw
I calculated the odds of this succeeding against the odds I was doing something incredibly stupidů and I went ahead anyway.
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I have a hockey mask and a questionable moral code

outlaw_dr@hotmail.com Roadbuster roadbuster_99
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7247 on: March 05, 2013, 01:38:18 pm »

I'm playing Tomb Raider as well. It's pretty good so far, but these fucking quicktime events are killing me. I don't know if it's controller lag or what, but I just have to mash the Y button during cutscenes because they keep popping up, and no matter how many times I press the Y button while it's actually on the screen, I fucking die. And, of course, I love that I have to watch Lara be killed in excruciating ways every time I fail one of these fucking things. Jesus.
At least it's not just me... I failed the first one like four times.  But I don't think it's controller lag, I've yet to fail the control stick or trigger QTE's, just the Y button.  I think the Y button just hates me.  Or hates Lara.  Maybe the Y button is lilke a creepy guy who watches snuff films and has to watch Lara die a few times before he allows you to progress.  Fucking Y button...

Visit my Deviant Art page, home of Manic Depression: The Webcomic! http://thelastoutlaw.deviantart.com
Quote from: Dara
Mask, stapler, Machete.. The Last Outlaw: Like Jason, only more awesome, bitch.
Log!
Skooma Addict
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

THROW A BLANKET OVER IT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7248 on: March 05, 2013, 06:24:13 pm »

I think it was just the creepy ass creators. There are a lot of really awful death sequences that make me genuinely uncomfortable to watch, and a lot of them are in places that require minimal mistakes for instant deaths.

HK-47
Brings the old-school pain and pimpin'
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Heaven's Smile, meet the Killer7

star.by.star@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #7249 on: March 05, 2013, 07:11:33 pm »

Civ III again, got a good starting location, elephant hunting for Ivory, wine nearby for drunken workers and tobacco down the road. To the north of me are the Zulu, which throws everything into the crapper.

Ninja'd: 863
Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #7250 on: March 05, 2013, 07:38:15 pm »

I think it was just the creepy ass creators. There are a lot of really awful death sequences that make me genuinely uncomfortable to watch, and a lot of them are in places that require minimal mistakes for instant deaths.
I'd say if they're able to make you feel uncomfortable then they did a pretty good job.
Fun fact! In Dead Space, all the dead bodies you find are modeled after car crash victims, the devs looked at photos of dead bodies from car crashes and based the models on them.

And speaking of Tomb Raider, I just got it, really fantastic game so far, and I must say the cover shooting is amazing, being able to seamlessly move in and out of cover, not being snapped onto it or anything.

My photography tumblr page Skype: Yutrzenika
Log!
Skooma Addict
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

THROW A BLANKET OVER IT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7251 on: March 05, 2013, 09:00:53 pm »

Yeah, the cover is spectacular. And as for the deaths, yeah, that's probably what they were going for, but still. I don't like watching a girl in her 20s get a large metal pole rammed through her head while she struggles weakly to pull away. I feel like there's a line, and those cutscenes are in bad taste.

Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #7252 on: March 05, 2013, 09:04:04 pm »

I guess it depends on who you are, I didn't find it to be that disturbing, I've seen more disturbing stuff from games, so I guess I'm just kinda desensitized to it or something. I dunno. Anyways, loving the game so far, really good start to a series reboot.

TheLastOutlaw
I calculated the odds of this succeeding against the odds I was doing something incredibly stupidů and I went ahead anyway.
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7253 on: March 05, 2013, 09:22:28 pm »

Got the y button QTE's down.  The button needs to be pressed while the target is shrinking between the two circles.  Outside the large circle can fail it and inside the small circle is too late.  Seems counter intuitive since the button flashes like you're supposed to press it just as it passes the point of no return.

And the game is fun but two things already bug me.  What's the point of hunting when apparently the only time hunger is a thing is when it's first mentioned?  (Not that it stops me, heck I'm like the grim reaper of deer and rabbits)  And... suspension of disbelief was lost when she used random garbage to magna port her pistol.    But so far the pros far outweigh the cons and the cons are mostly nitpicky at this point.

Also the deaths don't bother me much either.  Since game one deaths were always slightly squicky with grossly realistic limb snapping sounds and brutal ragdoll/ohgodthatsnotsupposedtobendthatway animations.  I remember being perversely proud of myself when I managed to kill her by missing a jump in the mansion warm up area which was described as "a safe area where you can get used to the controls."  I don't think the deaths have really gotten worse, I think the character is clawing her way up the other side of the uncanny valley which makes it seem worse.  The little touches they've added to her animations are incredible.  One good example is if she's between a drop off and a wall she'll reach out to steady herself on the wall as she walks.  They've done a lot to give her movements more personality than just walk forward in a straight line until the player stops pushing the stick which I think makes the impact of failure more jarring.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 09:35:45 pm by TheLastOutlaw » Logged

Visit my Deviant Art page, home of Manic Depression: The Webcomic! http://thelastoutlaw.deviantart.com
Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #7254 on: March 05, 2013, 09:36:03 pm »

I've been playing a bit more, not a huge fan of the map. It's quite unclear where things are. Is it above me? Is it below me? I haven't bloody clue. There's apparently a tunnel with a treasure map in it, but I just cannot find out how to get to it. And apparently there's a second tomb in the area, how am I supposed to find it?

TheLastOutlaw
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7255 on: March 05, 2013, 09:38:56 pm »

I had the same issue at first but found out if you  place a waypoint marker on an item on the map her survival instinct will flag the location.

RiceGuard
ARC Support Staff

Obnoxiously Righteous Savior - RiceGuard

View Profile Email
« Reply #7256 on: March 05, 2013, 10:38:32 pm »

I'd say if they're able to make you feel uncomfortable then they did a pretty good job.
Fun fact! In Dead Space, all the dead bodies you find are modeled after car crash victims, the devs looked at photos of dead bodies from car crashes and based the models on them.

Wow... Now I feel like a d1ck because I stomped the yard out of those corpse to prevent those bat and head shiit from reanimating them.

Yeah, the cover is spectacular. And as for the deaths, yeah, that's probably what they were going for, but still. I don't like watching a girl in her 20s get a large metal pole rammed through her head while she struggles weakly to pull away. I feel like there's a line, and those cutscenes are in bad taste.

Well is it any better then watching a puker, pry Issac mouth open and he just barfs his shit right into Issac Mouth. Dude I stopped for two days because I couldn't get the mental taste out of my mouth.... Chicken.... Mmmmm.
Log!
Skooma Addict
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

THROW A BLANKET OVER IT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7257 on: March 05, 2013, 10:57:56 pm »

It's not. Dead Space 2 had a lot of moments that straight up disgusted me. It's less the whole "Being dead" thing. The mutilated corpses and whatnot have never bothered me, but watching someone struggle during their last few seconds of life... Eugh. To me, that's like someone showing a rape in a movie or something. I just don't like seeing it.

I've been playing a bit more, not a huge fan of the map. It's quite unclear where things are. Is it above me? Is it below me?

That's kind of the point, though. If it just tells you how to walk straight up to it, you're not really exploring. You're just going where you're told. Of course, being able to set beacons on things kills that idea completely.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 11:01:59 pm by Log! » Logged

Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #7258 on: March 06, 2013, 12:01:18 am »

I've just determined that I can't find it because I don't have some sort of item yet. Hopefully the item I just got is the item I need. We'll have to see.

Log!
Skooma Addict
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

THROW A BLANKET OVER IT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7259 on: March 06, 2013, 12:06:05 am »

Nah, the game will usually let you know. Unless It's rope or something.

Pages: 1 ... 482 483 [484] 485 486 ... 563   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: