The Zombie Hunters Forum: WE GO THERE.
September 18, 2014, 05:49:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Greetings from Crazy Hobo Island!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 481 482 [483] 484 485 ... 562   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you playing? Episode 2: Sequel Reloaded!  (Read 550477 times)
Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #7230 on: March 03, 2013, 02:29:50 am »

Oh yeah that is definitely part of it, not being able to get the achievement back isn't exactly helping with the annoyance though.

My photography tumblr page Skype: Yutrzenika
HK-47
Brings the old-school pain and pimpin'
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Heaven's Smile, meet the Killer7

star.by.star@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #7231 on: March 03, 2013, 08:05:58 pm »

Civilization III Complete, picked it up from Steam for $1.24, a total steal. Civ IV can't even display the terrain so skipped out on it.

Ninja'd: 863
TheLastOutlaw
Alone in this darkness, there’s a dream still worth saving
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I have a hockey mask and a questionable moral code

outlaw_dr@hotmail.com Roadbuster roadbuster_99
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7232 on: March 04, 2013, 09:54:34 am »

More Skyrim (of course).

There's no way I'll finish Dawngaurd before Tomb Raider comes out tomorrow so it'll go on the backburner again.

I MIGHT have finished it if the game fucking ran like it was supposed to but instead I spent most of yesterday trying to make it work instead of playing it.  One of the radiant quests for Dawngaurd sent me to Solstheim as the random location for a vampire hunt.  Ok cool, hadn't been there yet but whatever.  I get there and the game instantly turned into a slideshow.  Flashbacks to the horrible frame rate glitch in the first patch.  And to top that off the load/save times (which were already excessively long IMO) TRIPLED.  So I noped my way back to Skyrim where things were still running uber slow and save/load cycles were long enough for me to fold and put away a load of laundry, get myself a drink and then almost finish the drink while I was still waiting.  I SHIT YOU NOT.

This of course will not stand so I read up on optimizing Skyrim for PS3, deleted all the game content and redownloaded it, went through my backlog of saves with a brutal axe (including the post Soltheim saves) and deleted all but a handful, and I started collecting up a lot of the stupid shit that I tend to hoard but will never use with the plan to stockpile it all on an enemy corpse and then do a month worth of "wait a day" to force everything to reset.  If only this game hadn't come out six months before I built my new computer or if I had been psychic enough to know when I pre-ordered that the PS3 version was going to be shit and got the 360 version instead.

Visit my Deviant Art page, home of Manic Depression: The Webcomic! http://thelastoutlaw.deviantart.com
Quote from: Dara
Mask, stapler, Machete.. The Last Outlaw: Like Jason, only more awesome, bitch.
Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #7233 on: March 04, 2013, 02:37:29 pm »

They're coming out with a thing in an update for Skyrim called "Legendary Difficulty", and "Legendary Skills", with Legendary Skills, you can reset a skill tree back down to level 15, get the perks back, and level it up again, gaining additional perks, and essentially being able to max out every skill tree. I hope I still have my Oghma Infinium book.

Log!
Skooma Addict
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

THROW A BLANKET OVER IT!

Losmosquitos42@hotmail.com Losmosquitos42
View Profile WWW
« Reply #7234 on: March 04, 2013, 03:31:59 pm »

Just throwing this out, if you're feeling jaded with Skyrim, don't cheat any more. Don't grind out blacksmithing and enchanting to max level immediately, no exploits or bugs or glitches or what have you... just doing it OG really makes the game a lot more fun.

At least, that's what I think.
Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #7235 on: March 04, 2013, 05:19:47 pm »

Yeah I might do that with whenever this new update comes out. I really like the prospect of being able to have perks in everything. What mostly has me jaded about the game is just how broken the game still is, like every time I play I find some new glaring graphical bug, or some broken quest I can't do or can't start, something missing... And then Dark Souls, the gameplay of that is so much more... visceral, and so much more rewarding, in Skyrim it is very easy to become overpowered, as after a certain level enemies stop leveling with you, even at higher difficulties, I find the story and world of Dark Souls more immersive, despite being so minimalistic. Part of the reason why I cheat and use an exploit to level is because after level... 60 I think it was, you hit a soft level cap, it all of a sudden takes an incredibly long time to level up, so you can't help but grind if you want to read level 81.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 05:28:39 pm by Yutrzenika » Logged

HK-47
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

star.by.star@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #7236 on: March 04, 2013, 05:40:08 pm »

Realm of the Mad God, controls are a bit finnicky (Hold down one of the WASD keys and he'll keep running when I lift my finger) but it's pretty cool so far.

Just throwing this out, if you're feeling jaded with Skyrim, don't cheat any more. Don't grind out blacksmithing and enchanting to max level immediately, no exploits or bugs or glitches or what have you... just doing it OG really makes the game a lot more fun.

Just curious but what does OG stand for?

TheLastOutlaw
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7237 on: March 04, 2013, 06:29:39 pm »

Yeah I might do that with whenever this new update comes out. I really like the prospect of being able to have perks in everything. What mostly has me jaded about the game is just how broken the game still is, like every time I play I find some new glaring graphical bug, or some broken quest I can't do or can't start, something missing... And then Dark Souls, the gameplay of that is so much more... visceral, and so much more rewarding, in Skyrim it is very easy to become overpowered, as after a certain level enemies stop leveling with you, even at higher difficulties, I find the story and world of Dark Souls more immersive, despite being so minimalistic. Part of the reason why I cheat and use an exploit to level is because after level... 60 I think it was, you hit a soft level cap, it all of a sudden takes an incredibly long time to level up, so you can't help but grind if you want to read level 81.
Yea, I ground my way to level 64 or 65, swearing I was never going to use the infinium glitch but damn, even with training five times per level it was still taking days to level again.  I still don't see comparing Skyrim to Dark Souls though.  Skyrim has an immensely rich history and backstory that I've been following since Daggerfall and ALL of it is there in the books and lore in game.  You can spend days (and I have) just reading the books.  It's a much more organic experience because you can strike out in any direction and do whatever you want.  I typically play a very similar character every time, stealthy thief/assassin and I always seek out all the side quests and faction/guild quests before completing the main quest.  I still haven't done the main quest for Skyrim.  Dark Souls is more arcade-y.  It's an excellent game but it doesn't really line up enough with Skyrim for me to draw a comparison between the two.  

EDIT:  After dicking around with deleting a lot of my old saves and getting rid of useless dupe items from my game Skyrim including Soltheim is running much better.  Also for those who have not yet been to Solstheim there is an auto save when you arrive and leave.  This was very jarring the first time I got there because I had completely disabled autosaves a long time ago to speed up gameplay and thought the game froze.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 06:31:53 pm by TheLastOutlaw » Logged

Visit my Deviant Art page, home of Manic Depression: The Webcomic! http://thelastoutlaw.deviantart.com
Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #7238 on: March 04, 2013, 07:25:17 pm »

Just curious but what does OG stand for?
Original, I believe.

Yea, I ground my way to level 64 or 65, swearing I was never going to use the infinium glitch but damn, even with training five times per level it was still taking days to level again.  I still don't see comparing Skyrim to Dark Souls though.  Skyrim has an immensely rich history and backstory that I've been following since Daggerfall and ALL of it is there in the books and lore in game.  You can spend days (and I have) just reading the books.  It's a much more organic experience because you can strike out in any direction and do whatever you want.  I typically play a very similar character every time, stealthy thief/assassin and I always seek out all the side quests and faction/guild quests before completing the main quest.  I still haven't done the main quest for Skyrim.  Dark Souls is more arcade-y.  It's an excellent game but it doesn't really line up enough with Skyrim for me to draw a comparison between the two. 
The only real comparisons I draw from Dark Souls is it's an RPG with strong elements of exploration. I guess what really has me saying that Dark Souls beats out Skyrim is that Dark Souls does an excellent job of drawing me into its world, more so than Skyrim thanks to a combination of art, sound, and of course gameplay. Skyrim is a very pretty game, but exploring the dungeons and ruins and tunnels... It's easy to see they copy/paste a lot of in-game resources, it's difficult to find unique dungeon (Though the games dungeons and such are still a great improvement over the likes of Oblivion and Morrowind), after awhile I found myself saying "Ugh, another Dwarven ruin?". With Dark Souls, while there may be less to explore, in this case less is more, each locale is totally unique, with fantastic art direction, presenting a gorgeous and unique vista to admire, whether that be the towering stone chapels and architecture of Anor Londo, or the bleak and desolate Blighttown, each location stands out from the other.
A lot of the monsters and creatures of Dark Souls come with fantastic and unique art direction, Skyrim's enemies are all typical fantasy affair, necromancers hurling balls of fire, skeletons, dragons, dudes with swords, undead, and while you do get some of that in Dark Souls, there's also many unique things like the Gaping Dragon, Nito, Grey Wolf Sif, those frog things that can put a curse on you, gargoyles, those statue guys... And each area introduces new enemies to overcome.
As for sounds, everything sounds more organic, more interesting, a lot of the characters sound more believable as fantasy characters, where I found some characters in Skyrim to come off as maybe trying too hard, and some of them kinda corny. The metallic footfalls and clanking armor, the strikes of your weapon, the collapsing of bodies, it all sounds good, and to accompany it a fantastic soundtrack to bring the boss battles to life.
The gameplay of Dark Souls is, at least to me, a lot more engaging, each encounter could be a matter of life and death, your victory assured by not hiding behind a shield and poking them with your overpowered sword killing them in one hit, or dropping them with your bow in a single shot from shadows, but timed strikes, evasive rolls, parry, riposte, etc, your chances of survival are based more on your skills than on your gear. You will die a lot, but when you finally succeed it's all the more satisfying.

Don't get me wrong, I still very much enjoy Skyrim, shouting a bear off a cliff will always be buckets of fun, but I've played the game through with 3 characters now, and revisiting all the copy paste locations, having to sit through all the cheesy dialogue, having to repeat some of the tedious quests, and having to deal with some of the games annoying glitches has just made be a bit weary.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 08:56:56 pm by Yutrzenika » Logged

HK-47
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

star.by.star@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #7239 on: March 04, 2013, 08:50:25 pm »

You the man Yut!

Civ III, always a stone's throw away from some backwater semi-human race, even on a huge map.

Log!
Skooma Addict
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

THROW A BLANKET OVER IT!

Losmosquitos42@hotmail.com Losmosquitos42
View Profile WWW
« Reply #7240 on: March 04, 2013, 11:38:10 pm »

OG stands for "Original Gangster", so Yut is pretty close.

As for the rest, a lot of what you say is true, but I still really really don't understand why Dark Souls is being compared to Skyrim. I mean, I get the whole "Strong elements of exploration", but... That's really it. And as for the sounds and the sights and everything, yes. You're totally right. Dark Souls has fantastic art direction, the music is spectacular, et cetera, et cetera. But you also have to think about it like this. Dark Souls, while technically "Open world", is a fairly linear game. For example, go try to kill Queelag right after you leave the asylum. You can't, because the game straight up shuts you down with monsters that kind of take half a look at you before gently clearing their throat at you to death. A lot. There aren't really any sidequests, maybe a few optional bosses, yeah, but for the most part, you've got very few options. If Skyrim is really, truly too easy for you, try turning up the difficulty level and play the game as it's meant to be played. Blacksmith to make yourself new gear, enchant when you get new items, take advantage of the "resting" system (which, surprisingly, made the game significantly more entertaining for me). The problem of "Copy/Paste" is simply because of the mindfucking amount of content they had to make. Hundreds and hundreds of unique characters, dozens of caves that really only exist so you can go "Hey, look, a cave!" And, yes, there are a lot of moments that are copied and pasted and they start to wear, but the game also has plenty of amazing sequences apart from that.
(click to show/hide)

I love both games, I'm just absolutely confused by the need to compare them. Skyrim is a game you put in, and explore, and learn about the lore, and just kind of fuck around and have fun. It's a story that you experience and create on your own. Dark Souls is a game that exists solely to be conquered, the kind of game designed to make people scream and throw controllers and stand up from the couch, arms raised in triumphant glory. In my mind, they're too different for me to find fault in one because of things the other one does better.

At least, that's what I think.
Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #7241 on: March 05, 2013, 01:11:51 am »

Yeah that is entirely true, doesn't make sense to compare them both. I'm hoping that at some point they'll come out with a new mindblowing DLC like Shivering Isles from Oblivion.

Speaking of Skyrim, I'm playing that right now. I'm doing the daedric quests on another character, hoping I can get that achievement this time.
Inb4 crushing disappointment.

TheLastOutlaw
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7242 on: March 05, 2013, 05:15:15 am »

I've never re-played an elder scrolls game.  As much as I've enjoyed them (which is a lot) once I devote 600+(Morrowind)~900+(Daggerfall) hours into one character it's really difficult for me to want to start from scratch again.

Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #7243 on: March 05, 2013, 05:19:34 am »

I have about 500+ hours into my first character, and then I didn't like the way I had my skills, so I started anew, and then I fucked up that characters skills and now I have a third one, and now I wish I had the power to see into the future so I'd know that the Dragonborn DLC would come with the option to respec skillpoints.

Also I got that achievement, I am in joy.

TheLastOutlaw
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7244 on: March 05, 2013, 08:32:13 am »

The enemy level scaling is one thing they introduced in Oblivion that totally changed how you had to level your character.  Low skill/no skill combat characters were more viable in the earlier games because you could grind your thief/sneak skills to the point you were a ghost and still be able to take out most enemies if you were cornered and forced to.  Now it's very possible to grind sneak, lockpick and alchemy to the expense of combat skills and make the game almost unplayable for yourself.  I ALMOST did this, if I hadn't gotten the perk to do 15x sneak attack damage with daggers and the Dark Brotherhood gloves that double your sneak attack damage multiplier (yes 30x damage mutliplier, I can one shot ancient dragons with a dagger) I would have restarted.  As it was there was a long stretch of the game where I lived and died by the backstab until I got my one handed weapon skilled significantly buffed.  The fact that you normaly get a cool cinematic animation with each stealth cool helped me make it through this.  And actually, now that I maxed my characters levels I've gone back to playing the game this way the majority of the time.  I'm the scariest thing that lurks in the dark.   Outlaw with an upgrade

EDIT:  Totally different subject... after pre loading the new Tomb Raider yesterday I played it for about a half hour this morning before going to work.  I like what I see so far though admittedly it's still early.  I am very happy that with the settings maxed out and TressFX enabled my benchmarking scores were decent and the game runs smooth thus far.  Uber stoked for this game and it looks gorgeous.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 08:47:28 am by TheLastOutlaw » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 481 482 [483] 484 485 ... 562   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: