The Zombie Hunters Forum: WE GO THERE.
October 22, 2014, 06:37:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mah arms are scarf!!  Dey go, "WEE WOO WEE WOO!"

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 520 521 [522] 523 524 ... 563   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you playing? Episode 2: Sequel Reloaded!  (Read 566882 times)
TheLastOutlaw
I calculated the odds of this succeeding against the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid… and I went ahead anyway.
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I have a hockey mask and a questionable moral code

outlaw_dr@hotmail.com Roadbuster roadbuster_99
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7815 on: September 13, 2013, 09:07:19 pm »

Tollbooths kind of forced your hand, as you could either stop and pay at them, or gain a wanted level. I thought they were kind of neat and always used them, but that's just me. And the cars did handle kind of obnoxiously, I've seen that complaint more often than not, and I definitely see it. They just feel... floppy and weird, I guess. Personally, I liked the older games more, with San Andreas being the best out of them all. GTA IV just felt like it was trying too hard, like the writers watched a shitload of Scorcese movies before the writing. As for the lock on and the animations of deaths... That's just how things were then. It doesn't effect the gameplay much, other than being able to laugh at the ragdolls. Lock on is definitely better now, even if it does make the game a lot easier.
Oh my God, someone else who liked San Andreas!  San Andreas was the shit.  The different fighting styles you could unlock, the customization and clothing options (once again much more in depth than GTA: IV), the skydiving, exploration, Samuel L. Mother Fucking Jackson, vehicle customizing, burglary mini games, stealth kills, and gang wars.  It’s still probably my favorite in the series.
And Yut, to your point yes, you could skip on the toll but then you were forced to deal with a wanted level which was just another annoyance I personally disliked.  When I play a sandbox game I want to race from point a to point b as quickly as possible so I can get to the next thing I want to do.  If I want to wait in traffic and pay tolls I'll drive somewhere for real.  There comes a point where "it's realistic" becomes "it's not fun."  For me GTA IV hit that point in a lot of areas.   And I don't know what I was apparently doing wrong with the vehicle controls but for me 90% of them were torturous to drive.  They would spin like a washing machine around most corners if you were driving fast (like most of the many many chase sequences require), the hand brake was all but useless and hitting small pieces of scenery (that usually popped in too quickly for you avoid) would send you ludicrously airborne.  IMO probably the best vehicle handling in a sandbox game goes to Sleeping Dogs which split the line between arcade feel and sim feel very nicely.  I actually liked the sleeping dogs driving missions unlike the feeling of “oh no, not another car chase” I got in GTA IV.
Though some of the things I will give GTA: IV props for is the variety of vehicles.  The fact they modeled different generations of the same models and even added beater cars was a very nice touch.  The cover shooting (when the camera wasn’t screwing me) was usually good.  It just wasn’t a game I really felt the need to go back and replay or even get 100% completion for which I did for every other GTA game.  And Log is right about the game taking itself too seriously, even the DS game had a better sense of humor (hell it may be the funniest in the series) than GTA: IV.  So I’m waiting for GTA: V to be on sale before I take the plunge because as cool as the swag was for the GTA IV special edition I regretted paying full price for it.

Visit my Deviant Art page, home of Manic Depression: The Webcomic! http://thelastoutlaw.deviantart.com
Quote from: Dara
Mask, stapler, Machete.. The Last Outlaw: Like Jason, only more awesome, bitch.
Log!
Skooma Addict
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

THROW A BLANKET OVER IT!

Losmosquitos42@hotmail.com Losmosquitos42
View Profile WWW
« Reply #7816 on: September 13, 2013, 09:25:38 pm »

Fuck yeah Sleeping Dogs. Seeing as how we had a lot of the same gripes about GTA IV, and because I'm going to be picking it up sooner rather than later, I'll let you know if they fixed a lot of them as I'm playing it. Honestly, from the gameplay that I've seen, I've got pretty high hopes for it.

At least, that's what I think.
TheLastOutlaw
I calculated the odds of this succeeding against the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid… and I went ahead anyway.
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7817 on: September 13, 2013, 09:36:04 pm »

I loved Sleeping Dogs and finally finished all the optional cop missions and the DLC a few weeks ago.  I have like four or five games I want to do reviews for and that's one of them.  But short story, if you like sandbox crime games, buy Sleeping Dogs now.

Visit my Deviant Art page, home of Manic Depression: The Webcomic! http://thelastoutlaw.deviantart.com
Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #7818 on: September 13, 2013, 10:26:35 pm »

I got Sleeping Dogs for like $5 awhile back, blasted through it, it was fantastic.

My photography tumblr page Skype: Yutrzenika
Log!
Skooma Addict
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

THROW A BLANKET OVER IT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7819 on: September 13, 2013, 11:01:49 pm »

I loved how long it took them to introduce gunplay in that game. Kicking ass felt so damn good.

RD_Blade
Half-Life

View Profile
« Reply #7820 on: September 14, 2013, 12:22:02 am »

I played Sleeping Dogs almost immediately after Saints Row 2(I d/ed both but didn't play them for a long time) and I loved the hell out of both of them. I don't own GTA IV but I disliked it whenever I played over my friends house, my biggest gripe is the same as everyone else's: too much realism in the wrong areas.

Meanwhile in SR:2 I sprayed fecal matter on peoples houses for one mission, immediately following it up with a story mission that had a real sense of gravity to it.

Hell, I want a SR2 style game and a Sleeping Dogs/Alpha Protocol mash-up game as soon as someone makes them.
Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #7821 on: September 14, 2013, 11:43:02 am »

Play SR3 and SR4, they're absolutely fantastic.

Log!
Skooma Addict
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

THROW A BLANKET OVER IT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7822 on: September 14, 2013, 07:19:05 pm »

More Divinity 2. Jesus jones this game can get hard.

TheLastOutlaw
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7823 on: September 15, 2013, 01:48:49 am »

So I talked myself into pre-ordering GTA-V (I've pre-ordered all the rest, love the series, the trailers look pretty sweet, blah blah blah).  And went about it the stupidest way possible.  I researched the different versions (standard, special, collector) and was like, for twenty bucks more I'll go with the special.  I had the special for GTA-IV and I really did like the swag.  Then I was like... fuck me!  No one has the special edition left, they are all sold out EVERYWHERE!  So I panicked and bought the collectors...   And now an hour later I'm looking at my receipt and thinking... dafuq did I just do?

Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #7824 on: September 15, 2013, 02:59:17 am »

I got the regular edition. Don't have the money to blow on a collectors, even if it looks totally awesome.

Beat Killzone Mercenary earlier, totally blown away by it, from beginning to end, it looked, and felt almost exactly like Killzone 2 and 3 on PS3, the same fun visceral combat, the weighty feeling weapons, the gorgeous graphics, all there. The Vita's gimmicks are thankfully not shoehorned in either, the game can be played almost entirely without ever having to touch the touch controls, save for some very minor touch mechanics for the melee attacks, and hacking.
From beginning to end, the game is consistently fun, it never feels like a dumbed down version of its big brother on the console, there's a wide variety of weapons to purchase, you can play it stealthy, or just rush in guns blazing, and the vanguard abilities are loads of fun.
Best of all, the multiplayer is fantastic, absolutely zero lag, and it's just good fun. You don't have to worry about grinding to unlock that one cool gun you want like in basically every shooter out there. All items are available right from the start, as long as you have the money to buy them, and whatever you purchase in single player transfers over to multiplayer, and vice versa.

FireFog
Wastelander

Fast and Fourier

View Profile Email
« Reply #7825 on: September 15, 2013, 07:35:27 am »

Started Brütal Legend Cheesy

Engrish as second language
Log!
Skooma Addict
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

THROW A BLANKET OVER IT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7826 on: September 15, 2013, 08:52:04 am »

That fucking game.

TheLastOutlaw
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7827 on: September 15, 2013, 01:30:55 pm »

What Log said...

There were a lot of things I liked about but the fact it an RTS was hidden until it was released which was really weird.

Log!
Skooma Addict
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

THROW A BLANKET OVER IT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7828 on: September 15, 2013, 01:48:34 pm »

The style made up for most of it's flaws in my book. God... so many flaws.

Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #7829 on: September 15, 2013, 06:06:38 pm »

I thought it was pretty fun, even the RTS elements. If it didn't have them, it would have been kind of just a generic button mashing action game. That said, I found some battles later on in the game to be excessively difficult.

Pages: 1 ... 520 521 [522] 523 524 ... 563   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: