The Zombie Hunters Forum: WE GO THERE.
July 29, 2014, 04:57:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: It's a BRICK-FLAIL!!!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 532 533 [534] 535 536 ... 559   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you playing? Episode 2: Sequel Reloaded!  (Read 525484 times)
Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #7995 on: October 19, 2013, 11:34:47 am »

Almost every RPG has women in scandalous clothing. Sure NOW they have it changed, but there's still that underlying sexism about it all. I'd like my character to be fully clothed, not wearing booty shorts and a non existent t-shirt because the damn game needed "hot chicks" for guys to play as.

You must be playing dem JRPGs with the animoo characters and the big boobies. I don't really play a helluva lot of RPGs so I can't really speak to much on that front. The ones that I played either just didn't have customization, or they did have it and it was fine. Skyrim's customization was okay-ish, I mean, the male and females have mostly the same clothes, however, the armor is shaped for the female body, which isn't really realistic, but I guess it's not really objectifying, it's nothing revealing, and then Dark Souls is really good about it. But yeah, I mostly stick to action games and stuff.

I don't like the way women are portrayed. I don't care if the character is an ultimate badass, they still wear horrendous clothing and it needs to be changed. And it needs to be changed now. It's getting there slowly, but it's there. And I hate it. With a passion. [i'm not trying to argue or fight, this is my observation as a "girl gamer" etc. I dunno, I just don't like how women are portrayed sometimes. It's nauseating to find a decent game where I don't have to make my character look like a whore. :/ [also im a bit tipsy, too sooo ... >.>]]
Oh yeah I totally agree with you, the portrayal of women in games hasn't been a positive one. It kinda plagues a lot of Japanese games, unfortunately, they're the ones who seem to do it the worst, especially with some of their fighting games, and RPGs. I can think of some positive examples for the portrayal of female characters in games, the female characters in Gears of War 3 for example, Halo, Saints Row as I had mentioned prior, The Last Of Us, the new Tomb Raider even, hell, even the upcoming Call of Duty title portrays women well, as fully armored badasses. But yeah, for every positive portrayal in a game, there's several other games with chicks in skimpy clothes. It's just fucking obnoxious. It's just so dumb, I don't even think it's hot, hot isn't wearing barely any armor and bouncing around in a combat zone or a fantasy world with dragons, that's not hot, that's just dumb, nobody would do that. What is hot is badasses in full armor, like this, or like this. It's sensible, and not stupid.

It reminds me of the new Metal Gear Solid game as well... They recently revealed renders of a new character... a female Sniper named "Quiet". Sounds kinda cool, right? Just look at her character design, jesus christ. Fishnets, bikini, gloves, boots, and a load bearing best. That's it. I've tried to bring this up as a discussion on Reddit, but of course they try to justify it, which is what bugs me the most, the people who try to justify it because they just like looking at tits. "But Kojima said he would have a good reason for it!", I don't give a shit what kind of bullshit in-game reason Kojima has for it, I don't care if it's about censorship, or it's Kojima's criticism of the fighting game genre (known for its poor portrayal of female characters), the dude is a fucking hack, he makes fun games, but he's a hack. He basically took what looks like a prostitute, and dropped her into a combat zone with inadequate clothing with this one, and there's nothing that can justify that.

I always make a female character when I get the chance to in video games, partly because playing dudes all the time gets a bit dull, and also so I can make an actually badass female character like I did for Saints Row, or Dark Souls, or Skyrim, or Halo, or whatever.
I think you might like Anita Sarkeesian's Tropes vs Women in Gaming video series on YouTube. She can get a little Michael Moore with her opinions (Making something seem worse than it is to get her point across), but it's otherwise pretty good.

I have a lot to say on the subject, needless to say.

Also put down the sauce. Grin
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 12:12:19 pm by Yutrzenika » Logged

My photography tumblr page Skype: Yutrzenika
Gezkill
ARC Support Staff

Freebootaz Kommando

Mendror
View Profile
« Reply #7996 on: October 20, 2013, 12:08:31 am »

Anita is as I say is a giant tool, any information she speaks of is mostly for attention whoring and money grabbing you can find better information out there then her.

But anyways, more Pokemons. On the 8th badge, but I haven't proceed so much, gathering mons via trading and the like.

Also WoW, got my Panda Shammy to level 40.

"Dem Undead Gits go down just like any 'umies do, just gotta aim for da 'ead."
"Dakkadakkadakka"
"Nothing like the smell of hot plasma in the morning"
Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #7997 on: October 20, 2013, 02:13:50 am »

Anita is as I say is a giant tool, any information she speaks of is mostly for attention whoring and money grabbing you can find better information out there then her.
What is your basis on this? I've seen all her videos so far, and while some of the stuff she says is exaggerated, she makes some very valid points.

TheLastOutlaw
Alone in this darkness, there’s a dream still worth saving
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I have a hockey mask and a questionable moral code

outlaw_dr@hotmail.com Roadbuster roadbuster_99
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7998 on: October 21, 2013, 09:54:22 am »

I avoided GTA online all weekend (I didn't end up losing that progress, it was added back almost an entire day later) while they got the latest batch of problems worked out (seems to be ok again this morning) so I focussed on trying to get my 100%.  I've now done everything there is do with the exception of the collection missions.  Ugh.  I include the stunt jumps, under bridge and knife flights in the collection category.  Actually that's not true, I also have two street races left to complete but they never seem to open up.  I've only had three of the five available forever.

Visit my Deviant Art page, home of Manic Depression: The Webcomic! http://thelastoutlaw.deviantart.com
Quote from: Dara
Mask, stapler, Machete.. The Last Outlaw: Like Jason, only more awesome, bitch.
Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #7999 on: October 21, 2013, 10:04:09 am »

IGN has a pretty good checklist of the stuff needed for 100%, I'd take a look at that.

TheLastOutlaw
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8000 on: October 21, 2013, 11:12:57 am »

I have a really good guide bookmarked on my iPod, I'm just having a hard time getting psyched up for actually hunting this crap down.

As far as the street races go I apparently need to wait to get texted the location of the next race but it seems to be taking a very long time for me to get it.

Visit my Deviant Art page, home of Manic Depression: The Webcomic! http://thelastoutlaw.deviantart.com
Gezkill
ARC Support Staff

Freebootaz Kommando

Mendror
View Profile
« Reply #8001 on: October 21, 2013, 11:41:41 am »

What is your basis on this? I've seen all her videos so far, and while some of the stuff she says is exaggerated, she makes some very valid points.
While she makes valid points, 60% of everything else is pure tripe. She doesn't research any of the characters resulting in misunderstood characters, makes claims that are pretty much false. Also to hammer this nail in the coffin, shes been on video claiming she isn't a fan of video games.

There's better information out there then Anita.

On to topic, moar pokemon. I finally got my Ditto and been breeding my starters to get more starters.

"Dem Undead Gits go down just like any 'umies do, just gotta aim for da 'ead."
"Dakkadakkadakka"
"Nothing like the smell of hot plasma in the morning"
Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #8002 on: October 21, 2013, 02:14:14 pm »

And which of it is tripe? Which characters has she misunderstood, and which claims have she made are false? Some in-game justification doesn't make it okay.

Beat Crysis 3, it was pretty great.

I have a really good guide bookmarked on my iPod, I'm just having a hard time getting psyched up for actually hunting this crap down.

As far as the street races go I apparently need to wait to get texted the location of the next race but it seems to be taking a very long time for me to get it.
I think there's 5 street races in total, the last one took it's bloody time to show up for me though, totally annoying.

And yeah, I just keep hearing so much bad stuff about the online, like halving rewards to encourage tedious grinding, on top of various technical issues (see: my female character having a beard, missing characters/money/cars/etc), they really messed up hard with this one.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 06:48:23 pm by Yutrzenika » Logged

Log!
Skooma Addict
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

THROW A BLANKET OVER IT!

Losmosquitos42@hotmail.com Losmosquitos42
View Profile WWW
« Reply #8003 on: October 22, 2013, 10:24:34 pm »

Pokemon x. I fucking hate rollerskate tricks and I don't know why.

At least, that's what I think.
TheLastOutlaw
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8004 on: October 23, 2013, 05:33:42 am »

I think there's 5 street races in total, the last one took it's bloody time to show up for me though, totally annoying.

And yeah, I just keep hearing so much bad stuff about the online, like halving rewards to encourage tedious grinding, on top of various technical issues (see: my female character having a beard, missing characters/money/cars/etc), they really messed up hard with this one.
The final race finally popped and I beat it without too much trouble, also reviewing Rockstars social club checklist (which is very handy) I realized I had to beat a game of golf staying at par or below which I hadn't done, I thought I only had to play a round of golf with a friend, (which I did but didn't complete under par) so I knocked that out.  I also was apparently missing one of the ground delivery arms runner missions.  So after wrapping those up I really only have the collection missions that I need to stop procastinating at.  I'm sort of surprised that with all the time I've spent playing this game I only have one stunt jump completed and found four notes fragments.  Bluh...

As far the online thing goes, I hadn't noticed that my characters face looks like she's someones battered girlfriend until after I had used her long enough to not want to start over again.  (The starting hairstyle and makeup hid most of the bruises and cuts which means I'm pretty much stuck with the same hairstyle unless I want to showcase the battered look)  Apparently it's a side effect of alotting too much time to the thug lifestyle during character creation.  I guess I was expecting character creation as fluid and robust as Saint's Row but this is definitely not it.  And I think they made grinding tedious not to encourage it but to make it so painful people will want to use real money to buy ingame cash packs.  Though stability wise things have been overall pretty good since 1.03 but going forward when they switch to a new version I'm going to avoid online for a day or two to see how it shakes out.  The first 48 hours after 1.04 dropped were a little rough.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 05:48:05 am by TheLastOutlaw » Logged

Stan
Carbonite Dreamer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

booty butt booty butt booty butt cheeks

mogley22@msn.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8005 on: October 23, 2013, 07:18:42 am »

Next paycheque...

Do I get a 3DS and a copy of the first pokemon game I'll ever get since gold, or a new Axe?

If you're gonna do that shit, do it about one of those ontario elections that always end in the cops chasing a rapist around a tim hortons or some shit.
HK-47
Brings the old-school pain and pimpin'
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Heaven's Smile, meet the Killer7

star.by.star@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #8006 on: October 23, 2013, 08:09:22 am »

You get a 3DS and either Etrian Odyssey IV or Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl. Or Shin Megami Tensei IV if that's your Atlus thing.

Ninja'd: 863
Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #8007 on: October 23, 2013, 01:49:51 pm »

Next paycheque...

Do I get a 3DS and a copy of the first pokemon game I'll ever get since gold, or a new Axe?
I'm actually selling my 3DS right now, I think I have it up for $250 or $300 or something... It comes with the Circle Pad Pro accessory, and is pre loaded with the exclusive ambassador games, as well as several other games I purchased myself. I'm selling it because I've played all the games I've wanted to on it, and there's nothing of interest to me coming out for it anytime soon. I'd rather sell it and make some money than wait and hope that MAYBE something I want comes out for it, while it degrades in value. And if something I want does come out for it, I'm willing to bet by that time the price will have dropped a fair bit too.
But yeah I'd go for it, while not all the games currently on it are my cup of tea, there is Pokemon and some other great titles on it.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 01:53:17 pm by Yutrzenika » Logged

TeeZee
The Huggly One
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

View Profile
« Reply #8008 on: October 24, 2013, 03:14:39 pm »

@Hail and Yut's female character rant

YES.

However, while I understand where Hail is coming from and agree with her points, for me personally I have a problem the image of male gamers that it gives. Look at Lollipop Chainsaw. It is an extremely sexualized, campy game, I won't deny that, but DAMN it's fun as hell. I even bought a second copy to give to a friend because I knew he'd like it for more than the T&A. Of course, the night I took it over, his girlfriend found out and lost her shit because it looked "slutty." And you know what? It does. The game was enjoyable, and the character wasn't really portrayed as promiscuous, but she was wearing what looked like a cheerleader outfit from a sex shop, and that design influenced so many people's initial opinion of the game as something for perverts. I don't want people who aren't gamers to look at me like I sit in my room jerking off to high-poly tits bouncing around when honestly, I'm having too much fun making zombies explode into rainbows and glitter to care that my avatar looks like something from Brazzers.

Then of course, there's the issue of practicality like Yut mentioned. I can't enjoy chainmail tubetobs and high-heeled steel boots because I think they look fucking stupid. I would LOVE to see a game where armored pasties offer no protection and six-inch heels cause your character to awkwardly stumble around the battlefield whenever she swings her sword, because that would be both hilarious and make a lot more damn sense.

Well, there's my two cents. I'm gonna go awkwardly stand in the corner since I was so late to the party.
Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #8009 on: October 24, 2013, 03:25:23 pm »

The only real negative image of males to come from some games is that it shows that men can only solve their problems with violence. "MY WIFE IS DEAD SO I MUST EXACT MY REVENGE AND KILL THE MURDERER AND EVERYBODY ASSOCIATED WITH HIM."

Pages: 1 ... 532 533 [534] 535 536 ... 559   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: