The Zombie Hunters Forum: WE GO THERE.
September 30, 2014, 11:56:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: We go there and half the time... WE DON'T COME BACK!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 552 553 [554] 555 556 ... 563   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you playing? Episode 2: Sequel Reloaded!  (Read 556326 times)
Log!
Skooma Addict
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

THROW A BLANKET OVER IT!

Losmosquitos42@hotmail.com Losmosquitos42
View Profile WWW
« Reply #8295 on: February 27, 2014, 02:06:34 am »

The forum is apparently like everyone everywhere. I'm having a lot of fun with it.

At least, that's what I think.
TheLastOutlaw
I calculated the odds of this succeeding against the odds I was doing something incredibly stupidů and I went ahead anyway.
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I have a hockey mask and a questionable moral code

outlaw_dr@hotmail.com Roadbuster roadbuster_99
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8296 on: February 27, 2014, 09:33:41 am »

I played a bit more last night but still not far enough to have formed a really concrete opinion yet.  The game has a TON of polish (the animations where he pulls out and stows his lockpicks for instance is brilliant), I like the fact his hand motions/positions keep you cued in to which stance you're in without having an out of place crouch indicator.  I dislike how Garrett's mechanical eye seems to have been replaced with "magic" or whatever they're using to explain his Batvision new focus ability.  There are a handful of things I'm waiting to see before I can consider it a good Thief game.

1.  Difficulty changes affect story driven objectives.  I'm pretty sure I've talked about this one before, and as much as I liked Thi3f it failed by lacking this staple of the first two games.  Harder difficulty meant you got additional objectives that added the story.  Saving Basso the Boxman from prison in the first game is one of the most dramatic examples, if you didn't play the hardest setting in Thief 1 for the Clragscleft prison job you had no idea who he was when he appeared in the first mission of Thief 2.

2.  Huge open levels that allow dramatically different approaches to your objectives.  Haven't seen this yet though the area I'm in now is opening up a little so it may be better later.

3.  The watchers.  Garrett's whole backstory revolved around them in the original trilogy which was brought full circle in the end of the third game (setting up for the sequel I still look forward to).  Haven't seen a whisper of them yet which is hugely odd.  Maybe they appear later, I hope they do.  Across the three games they built a very rich mythology, why bother rebooting if you discard it?  Same goes for the Hammerites and Pagans though I think I heard someone discussing the Hammers in an overheard conversation so I hope the old mythos is still present.

4.  Stealth based game play.  So far this is great.  Light/dark gauge works like I would expect and I love that they give you a more overt visual cue (the little pop of bright washout if you you step out into the light.)  I also like the little dash move they've provided to help you get back into the shadows quickly.  Not sure where they're going with the parkour type stuff they introduced in the tutorial section, but I can see it fitting if used right.

5.  The ability to fight your way out if you absolutely have to.  Back in the day I liked doing iron man runs in Thief.  Load up a level, no save scumming, do or die.  You fought like crap but you COULD hack your way out of some bad situations if you fucked up your stealth run.  So far I haven't seen evidence that Garrett is packing a sword or even dagger which feels weird.  Maybe later? 

I plan on playing this much more this weekend.  Hopefully it has most of the stuff I'm expecting from it.  It has a lot of potential.  It would be a shame if it was wasted.

Visit my Deviant Art page, home of Manic Depression: The Webcomic! http://thelastoutlaw.deviantart.com
Quote from: Dara
Mask, stapler, Machete.. The Last Outlaw: Like Jason, only more awesome, bitch.
Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #8297 on: March 01, 2014, 01:52:00 am »

Speaking of Thief, decided to give the original a second shot, downloaded the fix that improves it for modern computers, and now that I've gotten a hang of the overcomplicated movement controls (freedom of movement is where controllers really fuckin' shine, fo rizzle) I'm having a great time with it.

EDIT: Speaking of Stealth games, just beat Gunpoint. It was neat.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 03:06:24 am by Yutrzenika » Logged

My photography tumblr page Skype: Yutrzenika
TheLastOutlaw
I calculated the odds of this succeeding against the odds I was doing something incredibly stupidů and I went ahead anyway.
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8298 on: March 01, 2014, 09:27:28 am »

I loved the original.  It still has some of the most memorable gaming moments I ever experienced.  The reboot is definitely improving now that I reached a larger hub area.  Much better than the uber-linear intro sequences.  Though the progression for some of the side missions doesn't make much sense.  I don't have a tool I need to loot a collectible but the shop guy doesn't sell it yet, I resorted to google and found out it won't be available until after the next chapter.  Lolwhut?  Hopefully I can replay it after I get what I need to 100% it.  Fun fact, I spent most of yesterday just wandering around pickpocketing and doing random breaking and entering as I explored.  I still hate the new Garrett voice though. 

Visit my Deviant Art page, home of Manic Depression: The Webcomic! http://thelastoutlaw.deviantart.com
HK-47
Brings the old-school pain and pimpin'
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Heaven's Smile, meet the Killer7

star.by.star@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #8299 on: March 01, 2014, 09:40:18 pm »

Anybody try out the Steam Family Sharing yet? Or know the freedom slapping restrictions?

Ninja'd: 863
HK-47
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

star.by.star@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #8300 on: March 03, 2014, 10:17:49 pm »

Steam Family Sharing, it's pretty ass ain't it? Hard to abuse it.

And SSX Blur, precision over speed, pointing your Wii-mote at the top left corner of the TV, moving it horizontally to the top right corner, diagonally to bottom left, horizontally to the bottom right all while pressing A grants you an Uber Trick. And more precision. Like you're doing heart surgery but can actually speed it up somewhat.

Also Tales of Maj'Eyal, still rolling with Dwarf/Ano... Corona/Hymn of Moonlight class. Leveling Corona and soon it'll be Hymn of Moonlight, for the crits.

TeeZee
The Huggly One
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

View Profile
« Reply #8301 on: March 05, 2014, 11:09:21 pm »

The Walking Dead: Season 2, Episode 2. I didn't even know it was released today, so that was a pleasant surprise.

A very solid episode with plenty of intense moments, but there are a lot of soft, pleasant moments too. Those were nice. And, of course, there's the reveal that made me freak out with excitement even though I totally saw it coming.
Gezkill
ARC Support Staff

Freebootaz Kommando

Mendror
View Profile
« Reply #8302 on: March 06, 2014, 12:28:09 am »

Just beat Southpark the game, pretty good.

Might replay it as either a fighter or a jew.

"Dem Undead Gits go down just like any 'umies do, just gotta aim for da 'ead."
"Dakkadakkadakka"
"Nothing like the smell of hot plasma in the morning"
HK-47
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

star.by.star@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #8303 on: March 09, 2014, 05:45:18 pm »

Tales of Maj'Eyal

Anothril/Dwarf: jacked up saves, 50% Spell Crit with Corona activating everytime I crit; Hymn of Moonlight, a sustain that targets everything in a 3 square radius for darkness damage, criting and activating Corona; Moonlight Ray, piercing a few foes, criting, activating Corona as well; Sun Flare, crits. Every turn I'm critting and every turn Corona activates a few times. Building a class around one move and having that as the engine for a buttload of magic spamming each turn is glorious.

And I'm only level 21. Haven't even gone East yet.

TheLastOutlaw
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8304 on: March 09, 2014, 08:08:35 pm »

Thief is very slow going for me, I've been crawling over the bank heist level trying to find the last few loot pieces and 1 document I'm missing.  I thought I had it because I was super thorough.  Stupid completiontist streak.

EDIT:  Picked up Rogue Legacy this weekend because it was on sale.  Holy crap is it addictive fun.  Imagine if someone combined the bitch hard platforming of "I want to be the guy" with the roguelike attributes of perma death and level randomizing ala "Nethack" and toss in a VERY warped sense of humor along with roguelite resource management.  Add it all up and I don't know what the fuck it means but it's a bad ass fun game.  I've lost count of how many children I've fed to the meat grinder, some only last seconds but there's always one more ready to jump in.  My favorite so far has been my adhd giant barbarian queen. Though the paladin who was "the one" and a dwarf was also pretty memorable. 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 09:15:30 am by TheLastOutlaw » Logged

Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #8305 on: March 11, 2014, 01:14:56 am »

EDF 2025. I love it, but fuck me, it seems impossible to get good weapons for the Air Raider class, and a good assault rifle seems hard to find with the Ranger class too.

RD_Blade
Half-Life

View Profile
« Reply #8306 on: March 11, 2014, 08:02:35 pm »

HAWKEN and Payday 2. I like it when it's balls to the wall insanity with bros.
Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #8307 on: March 11, 2014, 08:52:36 pm »

Dark Souls 2. Fuuuuuck me this is hard.

HK-47
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

star.by.star@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #8308 on: March 12, 2014, 12:30:06 am »

SSX On Tour, really loving it but SSX 3 is still on top. That 30 minute cruise down the mountain, one of the best moments in the series.

And Front Mission 4, good stuff and quite the find.

Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #8309 on: March 13, 2014, 01:12:27 am »

More Dark Souls 2. I think I've defeated 7 or 8 bosses now, just kinda exploring and figuring out where to go next. Just got to Grave of Saints. DaS2 is a lot harder this time around, I've been having to summon for help a lot more than I did in the first game.

Pages: 1 ... 552 553 [554] 555 556 ... 563   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: