The Zombie Hunters Forum: WE GO THERE.
August 01, 2014, 09:55:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: We go there and half the time... WE DON'T COME BACK!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 516   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Anti-Peeve rides again!  (Read 506588 times)
BrainBlow
Not really a green haired teenage girl
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Dreaming of green hair

Hosikage93@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #3765 on: October 18, 2010, 01:46:15 pm »

Or ostriches, stomping people to death.
I'd post a link to this really funny stand-up comedy act by Norway's most popular comedian now if the rest of ya'll just spoke Norwegian...

Ive gained an all-new respect for BB this day. LET IT BE KNOWN!

[c
Greg
Totally not a vampire
Red Halo Officer
ARC Support Staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3766 on: October 18, 2010, 02:57:17 pm »

Why do I feel that Greg is one of those people who trains like eagles and hawks and birds that will fuck your shit up, then terrorize the world with his birds?

Also, if you don't do that, maybe you should Greg. Humping Parrot approves  He love you long time

Ah, I don't really have the time to raise and train raptors. Though Jenny's expressed some interest in owls, which might be fun. My general rule on that, though, is that they have to be able to be trained to eat their meat out of a bowl. I'm not at all interested in keeping feeder mice/rats. Feeder rodents stink.

But no, as a kid I just had a variety of psittacines. When I get the time and energy, we'll probably see about getting a raven or crow. They're very intelligent, which I like in my feathery minions, and large enough that you can take them outdoors without having to worry overly much about predators.

here...

I was much, much younger in this shot. Only the african grey is still alive, of the pets here, and he's not mine Wink

The green one was a complete sociopath and would murder anyone who wasn't me, for, well, being not me. I'm not sure what that does for your theory, though, as he's a seed-eater like all other parrots.

Here he is investigating my mother's computer:
AmadeusMaxwell
Zombie with Mad Elite Skills
Zombie Hunter
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Straight from the land that God forgot.

AmadeusMaxwell ZMES_Matt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3767 on: October 18, 2010, 03:14:15 pm »

My neighbor has a bird (I'm guessing it's a green parrot?) that's currently 30 years old....it's kind of wierd meeting an animal that's older than I am. >_O

Cheez
Voted most likely to hug.
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Rawra?

lcharters2@hotmail.com nihtgenga1990
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3768 on: October 18, 2010, 03:51:29 pm »

Or parrots, humping people to death.

:humpingparrot:ed

Ah, I don't really have the time to raise and train raptors. Though Jenny's expressed some interest in owls, which might be fun. My general rule on that, though, is that they have to be able to be trained to eat their meat out of a bowl. I'm not at all interested in keeping feeder mice/rats. Feeder rodents stink.

Why not just let it huntchildren?

My neighbor has a bird (I'm guessing it's a green parrot?) that's currently 30 years old....it's kind of wierd meeting an animal that's older than I am. >_O

One of the OAPs I gardened for had a pet magpie she'd raised from a chick. It too was around 30 if I remember correctly.

Quote from: mudmonkey
Cheez is fuckin hawt with teh boobehs.
Quote from: Sammich!
Cheez is also a raptor...pirate. A raptor pirate. Playing chess.
WARNING- If you send me a PM with no subject, I WILL NOT REPLY.
Greg
Totally not a vampire
Red Halo Officer
ARC Support Staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3769 on: October 18, 2010, 04:05:17 pm »

yeah- that's the thing about birds, is that they're a long-term pet. For something like a budgie (generally called a parakeet), you have to bear in mind that it will live for 15-20 years.

Ulysses was most likely caught in the wild, because he had an open band on his ankle- that is, one that was crimped closed after he was an adult- so we have no idea how old he was when he was captured... but we can account for about eighteen years of his life afterwards. If he hadn't had a penchant for eating mostly fatty foods (sunflower seeds were his favorite) he'd likely still be alive today. Quaker parrots can live for 35+ years in captivity, and there are many accounts of them in their forties or more.

The african grey (the one on my knee there) is now about 17 years old, I think, and will likely live another twenty to thirty years. Or more, depending on his lifestyle.

If Jenny and I wind up getting a raven or a crow, we'll be putting it in our will, as those birds can easily live over 40 years. As we learn more about their dietary needs, we can expect to see those numbers increase, as well.

If you get the chance, and happen to be in Florida, you might be interested in checking out the Parrot Jungle Island theme park. It's not as impressive as it used to be back when it was just Parrot Jungle and Gardens (the park had to be moved after a hurricane wiped out the gardens), but I believe they still have the Senior Psittacines area. Parrots over 80 years old, that have retired from performing, have an area where they can hang out and be fed/photographed by the tourists.

Why not just let it huntchildren?

Ah, then you've gotta make sure it's got enough prey around. I'd hate to have to move after it ran out of... things... to eat in the immediate area.

Also on a more practical note, you're much more likely to have the bird get injured if you take it out hunting- the locals will mob and attack them, or they may get caught in the trees. Trained hunting birds generally have jesses, or short leashes, tied to one or both legs. These are to allow the handler to keep the bird from flying away if it gets spooked... but if the jesses get caught on something, they'll prevent the bird from being able to extricate itself. Doesn't happen that often, as I understand it, but it's something I'd rather not have to deal with. Since I'm not interested in hunting just for the sport of it, there's really no need to risk my pet getting broken legs or worse Wink
Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #3770 on: October 18, 2010, 07:10:58 pm »

AP: Got to go to a golf driving range today. I sucked ass, but it was still fun. xP

My photography tumblr page Skype: Yutrzenika
Major Cobalt
You can call me... Jeremy.
ARC Support Staff

We will defend The High Hillock

View Profile Email
« Reply #3771 on: October 18, 2010, 07:22:34 pm »

Golf's one of those sports you just love to hate.

AP: My credit card was approved. Frankly, I'm surprised, but I'm not going to question my good fortune.

fuck everything. literally, everything that exists. fuck it.
AP: I dont watch baseball, but Cobalt has given me a reason to cheer for the braves anyway
Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #3772 on: October 18, 2010, 07:23:48 pm »

Yeah, I did not do very good. xP

AP: Get to go bowling tomorrow!
AP2: No school friday! Cheesy

BrainBlow
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Dreaming of green hair

Hosikage93@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #3773 on: October 18, 2010, 08:28:47 pm »

If Jenny and I wind up getting a raven or a crow, we'll be putting it in our will, as those birds can easily live over 40 years. As we learn more about their dietary needs, we can expect to see those numbers increase, as well.
Are there places you could legally get a pet Raven?
I'd love to get a pet raven.
There is a whole bunch of Ravens occasionally visiting my mother's island. Usually they hang out with the sea-eagles at the place and look for their kills.
However, two ravens we occasionally see flying around, though not with that other flock, are kinda fun to watch(we try to kill the rest).
I've nicked them "Hugin & Munin" after Odin's Ravens from Norse mythology.  Roll Eyes

[c
Ralion
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Gentleshark

RalionX@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3774 on: October 18, 2010, 08:50:28 pm »

AP: My cousin's wedding. It was on a dreadnought, and there was great food, including Mahi-Mahi. The band they had play was pretty great too. Oh, and the men's bathroom had 10 kinds of cologne, 2 kinds of eye drops, Tums, candy, Febreeze, hair gel, air freshener, and a guy who gave you soap and towels. The women's bathroom had none of this apparently. Wait, I almost forgot about the open bar.

Quote from: TheLastOutlaw
I think I may have to adopt you at some point.
Greg
Totally not a vampire
Red Halo Officer
ARC Support Staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3775 on: October 18, 2010, 09:11:24 pm »

Are there places you could legally get a pet Raven?
I'd love to get a pet raven.
There is a whole bunch of Ravens occasionally visiting my mother's island. Usually they hang out with the sea-eagles at the place and look for their kills.
However, two ravens we occasionally see flying around, though not with that other flock, are kinda fun to watch(we try to kill the rest).
I've nicked them "Hugin & Munin" after Odin's Ravens from Norse mythology.  Roll Eyes

It depends on where you live. In the US, you can't have ravens as pets because they're considered to be 'wild animals'. I'm not sure how that law got on the books, but there you have it.

However... you can have "white-necked" ravens as pets. Those come from Africa. They're not really a different species, as they can interbreed with regular ravens, but they're different enough for the law to be satisfied. White-necked ravens count as exotic animals. And, since they're not actually a different species, many of the so-called white-necked ravens can and do wind up being all black. It's just a matter of making sure you have a pedigree for your pet, and making sure that you get the bird from a reputable breeder.

One breeder that has a website (I can't vouch for his quality as a breeder- I've never seen his facilities.) is this fellow: http://www.corvitude.com/corvidranch.html
When our lives settle down, Jenny and I may take a trip out there to see what they're like.

That said, if you're considering getting a raven, or any other large bird, consider it with all the same gravitas as you would having a child. Birds take a lot of time and energy- they are social creatures, and very smart. More so than dogs and cats, birds need human interaction, and toys that will stimulate their minds. Puzzles, things they can take apart, things they can destroy, and so on. It's like having a two-year-old that will stay a two-year-old for the next half-century.

AP: Birds. I wuvs them so.
Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #3776 on: October 19, 2010, 01:01:44 am »

AP: Origa's music, goddamn.

BrainBlow
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Dreaming of green hair

Hosikage93@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #3777 on: October 19, 2010, 05:55:24 am »

It depends on where you live. In the US, you can't have ravens as pets because they're considered to be 'wild animals'. I'm not sure how that law got on the books, but there you have it.

However... you can have "white-necked" ravens as pets. Those come from Africa. They're not really a different species, as they can interbreed with regular ravens, but they're different enough for the law to be satisfied. White-necked ravens count as exotic animals. And, since they're not actually a different species, many of the so-called white-necked ravens can and do wind up being all black. It's just a matter of making sure you have a pedigree for your pet, and making sure that you get the bird from a reputable breeder.

That said, if you're considering getting a raven, or any other large bird, consider it with all the same gravitas as you would having a child. Birds take a lot of time and energy- they are social creatures, and very smart. More so than dogs and cats, birds need human interaction, and toys that will stimulate their minds. Puzzles, things they can take apart, things they can destroy, and so on. It's like having a two-year-old that will stay a two-year-old for the next half-century.

AP: Birds. I wuvs them so.

Eh. Norway has total buzzkill laws.
I think it is possible to get nearly any wild animal as a pet here if you found it as a calf/pup/chick and that its mother had been killed (and that you can provide documentation proving that you didn't simply kill it). Even then you will probably in most cases be forced to teach it so that you can release it in the wild later.
Eh, these laws are a clusterfuck. I don't need to go further than youtube to see that there are even breeders.
Wow, I found a site for some American breeder. 2000 dollars for a white-necked raven o.o

[c
Greg
Totally not a vampire
Red Halo Officer
ARC Support Staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3778 on: October 19, 2010, 08:09:33 am »

Yeah, well, unfortunately that's not an incredibly high price for a hand-raised bird. Between satisfying the legal requirements (because of laws about wild animals versus exotic pets), and just the sheer amount of effort involved in raising and socializing a clutch of baby birds all at one time, most birds are a lot more expensive than you'd think. The african gray sitting on my knee, in that picture several posts up? He cost something like three hundred bucks, and we got him as an EGG. In 1993, when the US dollar was actually worth something.

Personally I've found pet birds to be rewarding creatures, well worth the cost and time and effort. But, it is expensive to get and own them. If you're really interested, and you've got your own place, you can find local breeders of parrots and find out more about bird ownership. Breeders are always happy to talk about their feathered babies Smiley
BrainBlow
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Dreaming of green hair

Hosikage93@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #3779 on: October 19, 2010, 08:13:30 am »

1993!?
That African Grey is as old as me? (heh, that rhymed)

[c
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 516   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: