The Zombie Hunters Forum: WE GO THERE.
July 25, 2014, 02:00:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mah arms are scarf!!  Dey go, "WEE WOO WEE WOO!"

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TZH Game Reviews II: Sins of the Reviewer  (Read 32241 times)
HK-47
Brings the old-school pain and pimpin'
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Heaven's Smile, meet the Killer7

star.by.star@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« on: November 30, 2009, 08:33:51 pm »

This is considering that the original (With it's 20+ reviews) wouldn't be retrieved for some time. So until it returns, the sequel will do, but the sequel can only so often triumph over the original.

Outline/Example:

Recently Completed: Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

System: GameCube

Story: The Prince and his father conqueror the Maharajah for honor and glory. Among the loot is the Dagger and Hourglass of Time and Farah. The Prince wishes to keep the dagger, to the Vizier's dismay; the Vizier, in turn, tricks the Prince to stabbing the Dagger in the Hourglass, unleashing the Sands of Time which turn all but the Prince, Vizier and Farah into sand creatures.

Time Spent: 5:52 (Original time was around 9 hours)

The Good:
+ The ambiance, surroundings and music; and how they all flow together. The Arabic setting is easily a highlight and works perfectly with the game. Excellent production value.
+ Camera, when you're scoping out the surroundings to see the best way to get to your destination, fighting or simply enjoying the surroundings. Nearly perfect.
+ Controls are absolutely perfect, nothing is out of place and it works wonders.
+ Exploration and platforming, they go hand in hand and is easily the best part of the game.
+ Being able to rewind time after a bad jump or in combat, eliminates some frustrations and is a big help all around.
+ The characters and their interaction with each other, mainly the Prince and Farah.
+ The Prince would think his thoughts to himself, which was an excellent touch. Made the Prince come alive even more.
+ The fighting is good, at times nice and fluid, almost a weave of elegant slashing and stabbing.
+ Plenty of enjoyable puzzles.
+ What's there, in the end, is amazing.
+ Original Prince of Persia as an unlockable.

The Bad:
- Some puzzles can be tricky (Gatekeeper one specifically)
- Kinda short, which is a shame.
- Fighting could be a bit better

Score: 9.5/10, easily one of the highlights of Platforming in the GC/PS2/X-Box generation for platforming, and one that should not be missed.

(Optional)

Better Than:

On Par With:

Worse Than:

Archives

Blackberry Playbook
Journeys of Reemus 0: Lair of the Ant Queen - 8/10, reviewed by HK-47

Board Games
Connect Four - Shit me this thing is a battle of wits!, reviewed by Pappa Cricco

Nintendo DS
Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut - 9/10, reviewed by HK-47
Call of Duty Modern Warfare Mobilized - 8.5/10, reviewed by Yutrzenika
The Dark Spire 8/10, reviewed by HK-47
Dementium II - 7.8/10, reviewed by Yutrzenika
Drone Tactics - 7.75/10, reviewed by HK-47
Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard - 8.5/10, reviewed by HK-47
Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City - 9/10, reviewed by HK-47
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift - 9/10, reviewed by HK-47
Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - 8.5/10, reviewed by HK-47
Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer - 8/10, reviewed by HK-47
Orcs & Elves - 7/10, reviewed by HK-47
Polarium - 6/10, reviewed by HK-47
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey - 8.5/10, reviewed by HK-47

Gamecube
Killer7, 8/10, reviewed by HK-47
P.N.03 - 6.5/10, reviewed by HK-47
Pikmin 2 - 9.3/10, reviewed by HK-47
Pitfall: The Lost Expedition 8/10, reviewed by HK-47
Second Sight 9/10, reviewed by HK-47
Sonic Riders 7/10, reviewed by HK-47
Viewtiful Joe 9/10, reviewed by HK-47
X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse 8.75/10, reviewed by HK-47

GBA
Riviera: The Promised Land 8.25/10, reviewed by HK-47

GBC
Pokemon Blue, 9/10, reviewed by --Pappa Cricco--

Sega Genesis
ToeJam and Earl in Panic on Funkotron 8/10, reviewed by HK-47

PC
Assassin's Creed II - 10/10, reviewed by BrainBlow
Back to the Future: The Game (The Tell Tale games series chapters 1-5) - B+, reviewed by TheLastOutlaw
The Binding of Isaac - 9/10, Reviewed by HK-47
Bulletstorm, B-, Reviewed by TheLastOutlaw
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger , B+, Reviewed by TheLastOutlaw
Dear Esther - A kick in the balls while playing E.T., reviewed by AmadeusMaxwell
Dungeons of Dredmor - A, reviewed by HK-47
Far Cry 3 (Including all Pre-order/Bonus/Premium DLC) - A-, Reviewed by TheLastOutlaw
Homefront C, reviewed by TheLastOutlaw
Jurassic Park the Game (4 chapter episodic title) - D+, reviewed by TheLastOutlaw
Left 4 Dead - 9.0/10, reviewed by Silver
Penumbra: Black Plague -  9/10, reviewed by DarkMilly
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City, Steam Complete Edition - B, reviewed by TheLastOutlaw
Saint's Row the Third - A- Reviewed by TheLastOutlaw
Serious Sam 3: Before First Encounter - 6.5/10, reviewed by Yutrzenika
Shadowrun Returns - B+, reviewed by TheLastOutlaw
Sniper Elite V2 (including all DLC) - C+, reviewed by TheLastOutlaw
Tomb Raider (2013 reboot including pre order DLC “Tomb of the lost adventurer”) - A, reviewed by TheLastOutlaw

PS2
Jak II: 8.5/10 reviewed by HK-47
Persona 4, 9.7/10, Reviewed by HK-47

PS3
The Last of Us, B, reviewed by Yutrzenika

PSP
MGS Peace Walker 9.5/10, reviewed by Yutrzenika

Wii
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: Reflex - 8.3/10, reviewed by Major Cobalt
Dead Space: Extraction - 8.5/10, reviewed by Yutrzenika
Metroid Other M - 9.5/10, reviewed by Yutrzenika
Metroid Prime Trilogy: Collectors Edition - 9.5/10, reviewed by Yutrzenika
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed - 8/10, reviewed by HK-47
Super Mario Galaxy 2 - 9.5/10, reviewed by Zebia

X-Box 360
Aliens Vs. Predator - 8.0/10, reviewed by Yutrzenika
Alpha Protocol - C+/B-, reviewed by TheLastOutlaw
Batman: Arkham City (w/Catwoman DLC) A-, reviewed by TheLastOutlaw
Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - 9.5/10, reviewed by Acid117
Fable II - Game of the Year Edition 9.0/10, reviewed by Kraven
Fable III - 7/10, reviewed by --Pappa Cricco--
Halo 3: ODST - 9.5/10, reviewed by Yutrzenika
Halo: Reach - 9.5/10, reviewed by Jetraymongoose
Halo: Reach - 9.5/10, reviewed by Yutrzenika
Halo 4 - 9.5/10, reviewed by Yutrzenika
Halo Wars - 8.5/10, reviewed by Yutrzenika
Just Cause 2 - 8.5/10, reviewed by Yutrzenika
Metro 2033 - 9.0/10, reviewed by Yutrzenika
Serious Sam 3: Before First Encounter - 6.5/10, reviewed by Yutrzenika
Toy Soldiers - (Thumbs up, as no numerical value was given), reviewed by TheLastOutlaw
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 11:11:39 pm by HK-47 » Logged

Ninja'd: 863
Major Cobalt
You can call me... Jeremy.
ARC Support Staff

We will defend The High Hillock

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 09:19:45 pm »

I personally was not a fan of that game.
Of course, I was 11 when I played it, and the only reason I did was because my friend talked me into renting it.
This is also the friend who bought me Terminator 3 for my birthday. Last time I took advice from him about video games.

I eventually resorted to just beating the crap out of people, as a 12-year-old is prone to do. Action, violence, and killing? Yes please. Storyline? DO NOT WANT!

fuck everything. literally, everything that exists. fuck it.
AP: I dont watch baseball, but Cobalt has given me a reason to cheer for the braves anyway
HK-47
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

star.by.star@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 06:46:37 am »

Damn you and your young self... No wonder it took them that long to make new installments in the Sam and Max and Monkey Island franchises.
And your friend has both good and absolutely horrible taste.

But that I can definitely see. It was all about simple, mindless fun, which was what made Serious Sam so awesome back then.

Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 12:49:18 am »

Can we put the story like the original thread?
Anyways...

Game: Halo 3 ODST (360)

Story: You play as the Rookie, a member of the elite ODSTs, or Orbital Drop Shock Troopers. Taking place during the events of Halo 2, your mission was supposed to be to drop onto Truth's carrier, but it makes a slipspace jump away from the city, the ensuing shock wave from the jump causes one of your fellow ODSTs to collide with your Drop Pod just as your dropping. You crash in the city, but are unconcious for a good 6 hours, you wake up in the middle of the night, and your new mission is to discover the fate of your ODST team, and what happened while you were out those 6 hours.

Time Spent: 6 Hours for the Campaign, an additional 2 hours finding video logs throughout the city, and 50+ from playing firefight

The Good:
+ The music is amazing, it has a very film noir feel to it, which fits perfectly with the ambiance of the dark, rainy city.
+ All the characters are voiced very well by actors from Battlestar Galactica
+/- There are new weapons, not many though. New weapons include the Auto-Mag, a high powered silenced pistol with a high rate of fire, and a scope, and a Silenced SMG, which is also scoped, silenced, more accurate than the SMG in Halo 3, and packs more of a bunch. And then the Brute Plasma rifle from Halo 2 makes it's return.
+ Instead of levels, you get to explore a large city, however when you find pieces of evidence related to your missing team mates, you are taken to a level playing from the point of view of your team mate while you were knocked out.
+ There's an interesting side story following a young girl named Sadie as she tries to escape from New Mombasa. You learn more of her story by finding Video Logs scattered throughout the city.
+ A more interesting, more human story, with interesting characters. A nice change from following the Chief, Arby, and Cortana.
+/- Firefight mode is insanely fun to play with friends, although I would have liked to have been able to join a random match online.
+ You can get Recon! XD
+ The Single Player is a lot less run and gun like the other Halo games, you have Stamina, your Stamina drops from being shot, when it drops, and you continue to get shot, you lose health, you replenish health by finding Medi-Gel, you also can't run as fast, or jump as high, you are a lot more vulnerable, making you think a little more tactical than running out with duel SMGs like in Halo 3. Oh, right, you also can't duel wield anymore, not to mention that you take damage from large falls.
+ The new Enemy, the Engineer is a nice addition to the game. It's not very hostile. It gives baddies Overshields, and when shot up, self destructs sending explosives everywhere.

The Bad:
- Not as long as the other Halo games, only about 6 hours long.
- They could have given you a bit to do in the city aside from finding 30 video logs.
- The last part of the game could have been more epic. Not in terms of the ending. But there's no epic boss battle, nothing like that. Just hold out against a bunch of enemies for several minutes until help arrives.
- Still not really a huge variety in objectives. Still pretty much just shoot stuff that moves.

Score: 9.5/10, one of my Favorite Halo games so far, it's a nice change from the other games, with a more interesting story.

Better Than: Halo 3.

My photography tumblr page Skype: Yutrzenika
HK-47
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

star.by.star@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 05:40:18 am »

You make a most excellent point, and one that I forgot.

I am proud to see that you are the one who remembered, considering you revived the Currently Playing Gaming thread.

Acid117
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 02:19:08 am »

Game: Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

System:X-Box 360

Story: The game takes place five years after the events of the first modern warfare. The Ultra-Nationlists finally seize control of Russia and declare Imran Zakhaev a hero meanwhile, former lieutenant Makarov begins a campaign of terror against Europe.

Time Spent: 6 hours to finish the main campaign.

The Good:
+ A very emotional story which might make you shed a tear or two.
+ An awesome soundtrack composed by Hans Zimmer(Your new Best Friend).
+/- Combat is more fluid but takes more time and patience to kill one militant only to find you have to fight up 3 stories packed with foes.
+ Action packed!!! Un-Freakin Believable Sidepieces! Steady your boat so your buddy can snipe a helicopter while going over a waterfall! Slow-mo breaches in hostage situations! Epic badassery!

the Bad: - The Afghan missions are tougher and are harder to adapt to but you'll only have to play just one or two. You get thrown into street combat against cunning militia and as soon as you get used to it you're taken straight out and forced to fight the easy Russian AI which don't really need effort to dispatch.
-/+ weapons just don't blow the enemies away as they feel they should but still pack a punch.

Score: 9.5/10 A blockbuster game to play over the weekend and talk about for months.

Better Than: Call Of Duty: World At War
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 01:10:51 am by Acid117 » Logged
DarkMilly
ARC Support Staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 08:25:36 am »

Game: Penumbra: Black Plague

Story: This is the second game in a three part series (I have no played the others). The game combines both puzzles and survival/horror elements, while you travel through a seemingly abandoned lab, to find your father. You soon find out that there is much more to the situation then meets the eye, and learn of a virus that swept throughout the lab. The true effects of the virus, and the reason behind it, is something that becomes clearer and clearer through the game.

Time Spent: 7 hours all up.

The Good:
+General eeriness of the game, very atmospheric.
+Good balance of action, puzzles, and creepy scenarios
+Cool gameplay, lots and lots of opportunities to search and explore.
+None of the scenarios are particularly obvious, the ending is cool.
+No weapons, meaning you have to rely on problem solving, patience, and stealth.
+Dying is more realistic (as in a couple of blows with a pillar of wood will knock you out cold), which also encourages strategy.

The Bad:
-After a while some of what is meant to be scary can become repetitive, and so less scary (I didn't find this, but my boyfriend did).
-Physics are good, but not awesome at certain times when it would improve the whole gameplay a lot.
-Some puzzles are really easy, while others are really hard, and there seems to be no order to this.

Score: 9/10 for me. Though I would only suggest it to those who have patience, and like to spend lots of time reading long chunks of (very interesting) storyline, that requires thinking and piecing together information to get the full story. Otherwise the game would not be anywhere as good.

We may fail alone, but that is better than dying with them, only to be forgotten. I for one, would rather suffer now, than leave this life without passion.
HK-47
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

star.by.star@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 08:27:05 pm »

Just remember meatbags (Once more, Yut remembers), add in the system you played it on, makes it easier for the eventual archives.

But then again... I should have added it to the outline... But as long as you mention it somewhere in the review.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 08:28:41 pm by HK-47 » Logged

Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 05:58:18 pm »

Game: Dead Space Extraction (Wii)

Story: The story revolves around a group of colonists around the Aegis VII Colony when the Red Marker is extracted from it's depths. You start off as Sam Caldwell. You extract the Marker from where it is found, and soon after you, and your friends, start hallucinating, and kill dozens of other Colonists as it appears they are trying to kill you. Soon after that, P-Sec officers arrive, and kill you. From there you take the roll of Detective Nathan McNeill, one of the many detectives who is investigating the mass murders and suicides that have suddenly sprung up. Later on you will play as other characters and uncover what went down on the Ishimura, as well as on the surface of the Aegis VII.

Time Spent: 15 Hours.

The Good:
+ Graphically speaking, the game looks pretty good, there's lots of nice effects, and nice bits of flare from everything.
+ Not like most Rail-Shooters. In most Rail-Shooters there's little, or no story, as you move from room to room mowing down hundreds of enemies at a time. This one is definitely a more story driven experience. And you feel more like your actually playing as a person as well. In other Rail Shooters, you pretty much feel like a gun turret on a track or something, you move very smooth, almost as if your floating. In this your character will bob up and down when running, or taking steps and such.
+ Speaking of story, it does a nice job of the writing, and story telling from the different characters, and their perspectives.
+ Nice, simple controls.
+ Gory, messy fun in Two Player Mode!
+ Fun, and difficult challenge modes to play after you have beat the game.
+ As an unlockable, you can view the Dead Space Animated Comic, for even more back-story goodness!
+ Has all the original weapons, with a few new ones, like the P-Sec Pistol. All of them can be upgraded I think 4 Times, increasing ammo capacity, and fire power. They are upgraded by picking up upgrades throughout the course of the game.
+ Very Cinematic experience. Your not going to be running from room to room blasting everything all the time. Your character will stop to investigate something, talk to somebody, and all sorts of stuff will happen around you.
+/- They did a very good job on Dead Spaces creepy atmosphere, unfortunately, the game is just not scary, there are maybe a few moments where you might get a little startled jump as something appears out of nowhere. But that's about it.
+ Great voice acting from all characters
+ Cool, and creepy music, which all does a good job of setting the mood.
+/- Still has a nice array of Necromorphs to blast away, and still has the tactical dismemberment, unfortunately, the boss battles aren't really anything special. Or memorable.

The Bad:
- The single player is short, I beat it in 6 hours.
- There could be a bit more enemies on screen at a time.
- There's a few moments where you can pick a path, but it doesn't really change things up a whole lot.
- Some sort of physics engine for the bodies would be nice. I've shot enemies as they were crawling down walls to have them dying, and spreading a pool of blood in mid-air.
- Aside from Challenge modes, and grabbing the upgrades for all the guns in the campaign, there isn't a whole lot to do after you beat the game.
- The Hard Difficulty really isn't all too hard.

Score: 8.5/10. A very fun, cinematic game that adds more depth to the story of Dead Space, though I wouldn't recommend paying full price for it.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 12:04:15 am by Yutrzenika » Logged

Silver
Civillian Police

Offical Necromorph Hunter and Coffee Addict

silverthorn_2000@hotmail.com Far+Flung+Hero SilverThorn_2000
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 11:54:49 pm »

Yutrzenika- Glad to hear it.

Game: Left 4 Dead (PC version)

Story:  You're one of four survivors of the Rage Zombie Apocalypse du jour.  You move from saferoom to saferoom until you get to an evac point and are rescued.

Time Spent: About an hour per campaign, depending on difficulty and player competence.

The Good:

+ Voice acting.
+ Ammo stocks tend to be plentiful.
+ Random feel, which adds to the replay value.
+ Co-op multiplayer.  I don't care what anyone else says, we don't see enough co-op.
+ Runs on excuse plot.  No loose ends, no mind screws, no Wesker claiming he's God.  Just you blasting zombies to survive.
+ Fun.  In sheer, absolute defiance of the odds and Yahtzee's vitriol, this game is fun.

The Bad:

-Single player is lackluster.
-AI director's moods seem to vary from "Yes, you won five bucks off me at poker last night so I'm going to toss a nice big horde of zombies at you" on easy to "I caught you fucking my mom, wife, sister and daughter, so I'm going to do everything in my power to kill you" on Expert.
-Clipping issues.  The last thing I want to see when I'm trying to kill a Tank is the back of Louis' eyeballs.
- Graphics may tax low-end systems, even on lower settings.
- Excuse plot.  Might turn off player wanting something story-heavy.
- AI teammates in single player are actively suicidal.  Particularly Francis, who is inistant on startling every Witch we pass.

Score: 9.0/10.  The simple, excuse-plot fun of the 8-bit era brought to a 3D FPS.  And it's meant for multiplayer, which is even better.

HK-47
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

star.by.star@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 12:25:57 pm »

Recently Completed: Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift

System: Nintendo DS

Story: You are kept after school for being late, again and are sent to the Library to help clean. Noticing a book on a table, and a case with a pen inside, you immediately go to vandalize the book by writing your name in it. By doing so, you are magically transported to the world of Invalice. Meeting Cid, he lets you join his Clan and various adventures ensue, with your goal being to return home through filling the pages of the Grimoire that is in your possession (The book you vandalized).

Time Spent: 107:53:49 and 214 quests completed

The Good:
+ A unbelievably large amount of quests to do.
+ Plenty of classes for most of the species, and most have their perks.
+ The classes themselves are quite interesting, and overall provide a good variety of what a clan member can specialize in.
+ Definitely a big plus here, if a clan member knows some skills of one class, and then picks another class, they can then use those first skills as a secondary skill-line up alongside the new class. As in Black Mage/White Mage, Warrior/Gladiator etc.
+ A great number of weapons, armor and other equipment for customization.
+ The bazaar in my opinion is pretty cool, the loot enemies drop, loot gained from completing quests or upholding the law can be used there. Plenty of items can be made there.
+ Auction Houses, gaining the title of champion for various land and then items.
+ Both control schemes (Buttons and touch screen) work well
+ Music is quite good, and works well with the game
+ Graphics are quite good and the surroundings are gorgeous. 
+/- Their sense of style is... Odd, to say in the least, especially your character.
+/- Story starts off well enough but will
+/- Upholding the law can either be fun or a pain in the neck depending on what it states.

The Bad:
- Some quests might not be your cup of tea, but not all of them are essential.
- This one is a given, but if you despise tactical games, then this isn't for you.
- May become repetitive for some, but the customization helps to offset that.

Score: 9/10, simply amazing. The game looks beautiful, sounds beautiful and plays even better. You'll get plenty of value from it and it's even better if you're a fan of tactic/RPG games.

Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 02:17:19 am »

Game: Halo Wars

System: Xbox 360

Time Spent: 10 Hours (Campaign), 50+ hours for going back and playing the game more.

Story: Taking place 21 years before the events of Halo: Combat Evolved, the game follows the crew of the UNSC Spirit of Fire, specifically Professor Ellen, the ships A.I. Serina, Captain Cutter, and Sergent John Forge. The UNSC learns that the Covenant are after something on the planet of Arcadia, and soon discover there is an ancient forerunner complex buried underneath some glaciers, inside the complex is a map room, showing the location of an old forerunner planet installation way out in space, and you have to lead the UNSC army to victory against the Covenant.

The Good:
+ Very easy game to pick up and play, if you never play RTS games you can easily figure this game out.
+ Awesome looking cutscenes.
+ Like every other Halo, this one features great music.
+ Very fun, and action packed.
+ Fun online, and skirmish modes where you can play as both Human, and Covenant, both of which are very evenly balanced.
+ Good in-game graphics, there's lots of nice little details, like shotgun shells flying out of ODST's shotguns.
+ There's stuff to do after you beat the game, like going back and picking up Skulls which will either make the game easier, harder, or just might do some quirky thing like grunts exploding into confetti. And some levels have bonus objectives, for example in one mission you have to rescue a man named Adam as a bonus objective, there's also timeline events which are unlocked by collecting black boxes.
+ Lots of cool new units
+/- The battles can get pretty damn epic, its a shame there's no screenshot tool.
+ Great voice acting.
+ Features a Co-Op mode for campaign

The Bad:
- I'm not sure how long the average RTS is, but this one could have been a bit longer.
- You can only have 40 units at a time, it would have been nice if you could get a little more than that.
- Path finding issues with larger vehicles
- Some slowdown

Score: 8.5/10, the game is a lot more straightforward than most RTS games, with easy controls, which is great if you don't play RTS games often, or not at all. The game is fun in both online multiplayer, and offline, and features Co-Op as well, this game may not interest hardcore RTS gamers, but it's certainly a lot of fun even if your not.

Major Cobalt
You can call me... Jeremy.
ARC Support Staff

We will defend The High Hillock

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 12:17:03 am »

Game: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: Reflex

System: Wii

Time Spent: Approx. 5 hours for the campaign, limitless hours on Nintendo Wi-Fi Network unlocking... well, unlockables

Story: In modern times, wars are no longer fought on the front lines where two world power's armies duke it out in a massive slugfest. Now, the Wii player gets to experience the hectic nature of today's battlefield when a radical Middle Eastern leader does what all radical Middle Eastern leaders do and a bunch of crazy ultranationalists instigate civil war in Russia. The story is told from two perspectives--a British SAS Commando in Russia and a US Marine in the Middle East.

The Good:
+ Above-par graphics compared to other FPS attempts on the Wii
+ Reflex translates well to the less-powerful system and gives Wii owners the full Call of Duty 4 experience
+ Control system is solid and highly customizable, from sensitivities to the control layout
+ Online multiplayer is fun and addicting, even without the voice chat Xbox 360 and PS3 owners enjoy
+ No twelve-year-olds screaming profanities and hackusating you over voice chat like Xbox 360 and PS3 owners enjoy
+ Proves that a good FPS on the Wii is possible
+ Deep online advancement system that will keep the player coming back for more
+ There's just something exhilarating about sniping a guy with your own hand rather than using a joystick to control the crosshairs

The Bad:
- Objectives are sometimes unclear and the story is sort of vague, generic, and difficult to pick up on. This leads to a "run around a shoot everything" state of affairs until you die and remember you had no idea what you were supposed to be doing in the first place
- Occasional control hiccups that, more often than not, occur at the worst possible moments--like right before you get the online achievement for headshots with a certain sniper rifle
- Easy to become disoriented upon respawn in both multiplayer and campaign
- Graphics are sometimes inconsistent
- Occasional graphical choppiness leads to disorientation and unintentional backtracking
- Very few apparent differences between weapons in the same class; i.e. all assault rifles seem to be practically the same in terms of power

Score: 8.3/10. Verdict: buy it. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: Reflex is a must-have for the fan of the first-person shooter who doesn't own a Playstation 3 or Xbox 360. Reflex is a fun game that stays true to Call of Duty 4 and the Call of Duty series. However, there's no reason to pick it up if you already own the game for 360 or PS3. But if you want a serious first-person shooter for the Wii, you've gotta get Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: Reflex.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 12:23:23 am by Major Cobalt » Logged

fuck everything. literally, everything that exists. fuck it.
AP: I dont watch baseball, but Cobalt has given me a reason to cheer for the braves anyway
Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 03:59:00 am »

Metroid Prime 3 already did a damn fine job proving that Shooters work on the Wii. XD
Also, PS3 doesn't have voice chat, or well, nobody uses it.

EDIT: Speaking of which I should probably review Metroid Prime Trilogy... When I feel like it.

EDIT: And here it is!

Game: Metroid Prime Trilogy: Collectors Edition

System: Wii

Time Spent: About 50 Hours for all 3 Games.

Story: Metroid Prime: Taking place three years after the events of Metroid, Samus Aran is out looking for new clients, she then receives a distress signal from an unknown Space Station, upon investigation she discovers it to be a Space Pirate Science Research Station in orbit above the planet Tallon IV, which had escaped from her attack on the Planet Zebes. The Space Pirate Science Team was researching genetic enhancement for creatures native to the Planet Tallon IV, using a highly volatile, and radioactive substance known as "Phazon". You enter the space station to discover things have gone fubar, and learn that the science team has brought Ridley back as Meta Ridley. You then face, and kill an escaped test subject, and proceed to escape the station, and you lose your suits abilities in the process. You land on Tallon IV to discover at its core is Phazon, which is plaguing the planet, and you have to stop it at the source.

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes: Samus is given a contract by the Galactic Federation to rescue some Galactic Federation Troopers who had crashed on the surface of the planet Aether. As you enter the planets atmosphere you are struck by lightning, sending your ship hurtling towards the surface, you make a safe landing, and go on to discover that all the Galactic Federation Troopers are dead. You continue your search, and you spot a mysterious black being that bares a resemblance to Samus, you are then sucked into an alternate dimension of Aether, known as Dark Aether, you are attacked by it's dark inhabitants, the Ing, who (Once again) take away all your abilities. Barely escaping dark aether, you go in search of the other troopers, to discover their ship, the G.F.S. Tyr, and the bodies of the remaining troopers, and you find a video log showing the brutal murder of the troopers at the claws of the Ing. From there you go on and meet one of the planets few remaining moth-like inhabitants, a Luminoth known as U-Mos, he tells you that a meteor composed of pure phazon struck the planet, splitting it into light, and dark dimensions, and that the Ing are being led by Samus' doppelganger, Dark Samus. So, once again it's your job to save the planet!

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption: Taking place 6 months after the events of Echoes, you once again take the roll of Samus, who docks on the G.F.S. Olympus battle ship, from there you meet bounty hunters Ghor, Rundas, and Gandrayda, whom you go with to your mission briefing, but in the middle of the mission briefing the team is alerted that the planet you are in orbit above, Norion, is under attack by Space Pirates, and Ridley. The Olympus is attacked by Space Pirates, you fight your way to your ship, and fly down to Norion to aid in defending the planet. Later an unknown contact is sighted heading towards the planet, and you have to activate the Planetary Defense System. After doing so you meet up with the other hunters in the control room, but are ambushed by Dark Samus who attacks the hunters. Barely conscious, you activate the cannon, destroying the unknown contact. Samus falls unconscious, and awakes a month later in the Olympus, you are informed that you took in so much Phazon that your body is self-producing it, and you, along with the other hunters, have been fitted with Phazon Enhancement Devices to concentrate that Phazon energy as a weapon. It is discovered that the unknown contact was a Leviathan, an organic seed of sorts loaded with phazon, meant to infect planets, which had struck several other planets, and the other hunters had been dispatched to destroy them, but all contact had been lost. And its your job to go learn the fates of your fellow bounty hunters, save the other planets, and the galaxy from destruction!

*Note* Yes, my grammar sucks. Also, if showing the stories for all three games is a little much, then let me know.

Whats in the Collectors Edition?: For an extra $10 you get a sweet Metal Case, and a Pamphlet showing art from the three games, as well as the Metroid Timeline.

The Good:
+ Metroid Prime 3 did an amazing job of proving that First Person Shooters work on the Wii, and they didn't skimp on doing the same controls for Metroid Prime 1, and 2.
+ The games still look amazing today. Metroid Prime 1 and 2 had some of the best graphics on the Game Cube. The art, and the technology behind the game combine for an amazing visual graphical experience.
+ You can get tokens by doing certain things in the game, like scanning some lore, an enemy or boss, defeating a boss, et cetera, which can be spent on music from each of the three games, and even stuff like bumper stickers for Samus' ship in Prime 3, as well as the Fusion Suit in Prime 1, leaving you with something to do after you beat the game.
+ The game still sounds amazing, the sound effect, the music, just about everything. The music is some of the best stuff I have ever heard in any video game.
+ Still really fun. Years later I am still having a blast playing Prime 1, and 2, despite beating them many times on the game cube
+ Still lots to do after you beat the game, like going back to find those other hidden items, scans, alternate endings, et cetera.
+ Still contains the Metroid Prime 2 Multiplayer for splitscreen battles, you may, or may not touch it, but it's nice to have regardless.

The Bad:
-Unfortunately (And oddly) some of the finer details in Metroid Prime 1 have been removed, like the cannon freezing over from charging it with the ice beam, and the 3D water ripple effects. Your probably thinking "Oh it's 3 games in 1, they must have had to made some space", well, that's no the case, in Japan Metroid Prime 1, and 2, were remade for the wii, but individually sold, not in the Trilogy, and Metroid Prime still had the same cutbacks. But as I said, it's just a few of the finer details, most of which are related to Samus' cannon.
- The voice acting in prime 3 isn't anything amazing. The voice acting isn't bad, just nothing really memorable.
- Still has those occasional slow load times for when you shoot a door to open it.
- Out of all the cool things you can unlock with tokens, there isn't an infinite ammo for the various beams in Prime 2.

Score: 9.5/10. All on one disc you get three phenomenal games dubbed by some as "The Citizen Kane of Video Games". The controls, graphics, music, art, and gameplay make this game an epic adventure from start to finish on each of the three games.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 09:58:44 pm by Yutrzenika » Logged

HK-47
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

star.by.star@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 07:13:09 pm »

Wanted to bring it back (Again) since the first one is now officially lost.
It's considered necromancy, but this time it's for a good cause, right?

Recently Completed: Hotel Dusk: Room 215

System: Nintendo DS

Story: It's been three years since Kyle Hyde has been part of the force in NY. Now as a salesman for Red Crown, he is in search for his partner Brian Bradley, who went missing three years ago after Kyle shot him and then fell into the Hudson without turning up. His employer, Ed, sent him to Hotel Dusk for a job of finding a couple of items (Part of Red Crown's specialty; finding what doesn't want to be found). The hotel's owner, Dunning Smith, tells him about Room 215, nicknamed Wish. Taking lodgings in Room 215, Kyle begins to hunt for the items. Before the night is over, he'll get more than he bargained for.

Time Spent: 15 hours and 15 minutes

The Good:
+ As an adventure game, the story doesn't disappoint. It's more than what it appears and gives the player quite a bit to go through. And really gives the player their money's worth.
+ Amazing cast that doesn't feel one-dimensional. They all have depth and a story to tell.
+ The graphics, especially the character designs. How they look like sketches is absolutely brilliant. And how some scenes look unfinished at the edges or simply blank makes it all the more better.
+ Jazzy music really suits the late 70's time period of when the game takes place.
+ Never used it, but there is a feature for a rumble pack. I assume it's a nice addition.
+ Dialogue feels natural and the style of it is right on.
+ Holding the DS like a book, definitely the way to go.
+ The box doesn't lie when it says "A Mystery Novel".
+/- It's an adventure game, so it feels laid back.
+/- A whole lot of dialogue, and can be wordy at times. But then again, it is an adventure game.
+/- If you somehow mess up and end up at a game over screen, the game tells you what you did wrong. Kinda a bummer if the player wants to figure out how they messed up on their own.
+ A summary of each chapter that is completed is provided, which is perfect in a game like this.
+/- Once a chapter is finished, there is a recap and some questions of what happened in it. A real nice touch for those who might have forgotten a few things but for others might feel like a waste of time.

The Bad:
- Some puzzles can be tricky and a pain to figure out.
- Not much non-story related stuff or side-quest like things in the game.
- Quite unfortunate that there isn't a feature early on that lets you replay the music.

Score: 8.5/10. This is without a doubt one of the best stories one can get in a game on the DS. It's also among the top of the DS adventure gaming crop, with the essentials of a good adventure game: an amazing story, cast of characters and setting. Can't get much better than this in terms of adventure.

Better Than: Most other DS Adventure games.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: