The Zombie Hunters Forum: WE GO THERE.
July 29, 2014, 02:42:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Oh, Gutted Hobo...you tried to steal supplies, and ended up stealing our hearts.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DnD help  (Read 19428 times)
Achilles
« on: December 19, 2009, 04:03:01 pm »

this seems like the appropriate place to post this (if not, sorry!)

I've been working on my own DnD campaign, and I've run into a hitch. One of my players wants to play a 1/2 vampire. The problem is, the only templet I've found, I don't like, so I've been working on my own. I was wondering what you guys think of what I've come up with:

vampire rating 0-100 (standard, 50). the higher the number, the more vampiric she seems. at 0, she seems to be human, with a few quirks. At 100, she seems to be a vampire, with a few abnormalities. Vampire rating based on certain actions.

+2 Dex
-2 Con
+2 Charisma when well feed
humanized by things that kill vampires ('resets' her character to 1/2 max HP, retains all negative attributes, loses all positive attributes.
Must sleep in ground of homeland 1x per month. Becomes 5 points more human each month over. Sleeping in ground of homeland removes 1 month worth of negative points. Will not grant more vampiric points then she has lost through this method. Cannot regain more then 1 months worth per month.
Sunlight:
- Regular exposure (skin): -2 subdual/hr
- Bright light (eyes): if unshaded, lose low-light vision, -2 concentration, -2 to-hit. Daylight spell bypasses shade. 5% chance of blindness/hr. Stacks.
- Prolonged Exposure (eyes/skin over 4hrs): sunburns (additional -1 subdual/hr for skin, no low-light vision, -1 concentration, -1 to hit until healed. stacks with regular and bright light.)
Running water humanizes (only lasts as long as is in running water)
Turning: Will Save = HP caster can turn +1 per point over normal, -1 per point below normal
Will save DC 15 -1 (below normal) OR +1 (above normal). Minimum 0
Must sleep minimum 4hrs per night.
Sleeping burried in ground of homeland grants bonuses (+2 to everything at 50, +1 every 25 points above, -1 every 25 points below
DR 1/silver 60-70, 2/silver 70-80, 3/silver 80-90, 4/silver 90-100
Silver:
- bypasses any Damage Reduction
- +1/2 normal damage
- Poison Effect if swallowed (fort save, DC 15. +2 per 5 points above, -2 per 5 levels below
- Sunburn effect on contact with skin
Feeding:
- Needs to feed 1x per week. -1 point/week missed, +1 every feeding over minimum
- DC save to resist blood frenzy increases by 1 every point above 50.
- DC save to resist blood frenzy increases by 2 49-40, increases by 1 39-30, stagnate 29-20, decreases by 1 19-10, decreases by 2 9-0.
+1 intimidate/-1 diplomacy every 5 points above 50. Inverse below 50
Cure and wound spells heal 1/2 normal at 50. +5% healing from wound, -5% healing from cure per 10 points above 50. Inverse below 50
-1 to disguise checks made to hide vampire traits every 5 points above 50. Opposite below 50. At 100, cannot hide vampire appearance. At 0, do not have to try.

That's what I've got. Any thoughts?
Boomstick
ARC Support Staff

maddeer02
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 01:11:24 am »

Tell them you aren't playing a game of Vampire: The Masquerade, and have him choose again.

The only other thing I can think of is to make him use the NPC mob stats.  Honestly there are a ton of possibilities for PCs so why do they feel the need to go outside of the provided spectrum?  Also, depending on your other Players, her being at all vampire may cause havoc since they are inherently evil.  Thus, the PCs and most NPCs would always want to kill her.

I say it is a very bad idea.  Very bad indeed.  Although I like your write-up.  But srsly, having a vampire in an adventure group would be worthless even if she is "good."  Mainly because she won't be able to function well in the sunlight, and the other party members can't function as well in the darkness of night.  Unless the rest of the party is made of Drow.
Achilles
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 11:06:41 am »

I actually like the idea. I'm just struggling to make it work.
Boomstick
ARC Support Staff

maddeer02
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 08:04:23 pm »

As I said, I personally think it's a bad idea unless she is partied with underdark creatures of her same alignment.  But of course the DM is god for his game.  But you have to remember feats, and levels, and deities, and all kinds of stuff.  Honestly it would be far easier to make her choose a different character.

But if you want to test your creative side then by all means go ahead.
dudesomebody
Half-Life

the beatings will continue until moral improves!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 05:05:01 pm »

there is a DnD book called Lebris mortis that has a half vampire in it. I have used it and it works pretty well.

Firesolved
potatOWNED!
Half-Life

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 11:32:04 am »

When one of my players said something crazy like "I WANNA PLAY A HALF DROW MIND FLAYER DRAGON LICH!" I would say "Fine. Have fun walking into every town the rest of the COMPLETELY FUCKING NORMAL guys will. I hope you plan on investing a lot of skill points into hide and move silently."

But seriously, a half vampire will be hard to play out in a "normal" game. Even if you only go to hamlets ("It turned my friend into a toad!" "A toad you say?" "Well, he got better.").

Unless he's playing a sexually confused Twilight vampire modern cliche. Then, by all means.
Cheez
Voted most likely to hug.
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Rawra?

lcharters2@hotmail.com nihtgenga1990
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 11:35:11 am »

How the hell can you have a half vampire?

Quote from: mudmonkey
Cheez is fuckin hawt with teh boobehs.
Quote from: Sammich!
Cheez is also a raptor...pirate. A raptor pirate. Playing chess.
WARNING- If you send me a PM with no subject, I WILL NOT REPLY.
Dr. McNinja
Inspiring bad German accents since 07
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Yiffing in hell

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 12:03:45 pm »

Blade did it pretty well.
Cheez
Voted most likely to hug.
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Rawra?

lcharters2@hotmail.com nihtgenga1990
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 12:04:23 pm »

Good point that, I'd forgotten about that.

Fair enough then.

Quote from: mudmonkey
Cheez is fuckin hawt with teh boobehs.
Quote from: Sammich!
Cheez is also a raptor...pirate. A raptor pirate. Playing chess.
WARNING- If you send me a PM with no subject, I WILL NOT REPLY.
Log!
Skooma Addict
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

THROW A BLANKET OVER IT!

Losmosquitos42@hotmail.com Losmosquitos42
View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 01:40:18 pm »

The thing I love about D&D is that you can take anything from anywhere, and then just throw it out the window and start over.

Maybe in his world, Half vampires are a fairly common thing, so people WON'T run in terror from them. Don't force yourself into the preset mold, D&D is about playing an interactive story.

At least, that's what I think.
Lordmanannan
Zombie

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 05:30:00 pm »

I'm not knocking the idea, but you've got a logistical nightmare to keep up with using this proposed system. I don't think you'll be able to keep up with it without having a headache. And what is the lv adjust on this?
I know I've given myself headaches trying to keep up with a self developed light/dark force ratings and faction ratings in Star Wars.

Maybe if you made a special sheet or something for them.
Xanatos
ARC Support Staff

Forever

xanatos_forever@hotmail.com XanatosForever
View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 05:48:44 pm »

Well, since there've been a few more hits, I think I'll do my part and plug our Dedicated RP forum. Pretty much everyone else has said everything constructive, anyway. Undecided
Achilles
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 05:57:05 pm »

I'm not knocking the idea, but you've got a logistical nightmare to keep up with using this proposed system. I don't think you'll be able to keep up with it without having a headache. And what is the lv adjust on this?
I know I've given myself headaches trying to keep up with a self developed light/dark force ratings and faction ratings in Star Wars.

Maybe if you made a special sheet or something for them.
Currently, the level adjust is +0. Theoretically, the advantages and disadvantages pretty much cancel each other out no matter what "level" they are. I know it'll be a pain to keep up with, but that's why a friend of mine is helping me DM. Basicly, I'm in charge of the actual campaign, they run my mobs and some NPCs, and keep track of char data.
Lordmanannan
Zombie

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 07:52:15 pm »

I'm not overly intimate with D&D 3.5, but I suppose you're right. There are a lot of disadvantages to it. Let me know how it plays.
Achilles
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 01:00:37 am »

heh...I'm probably a little TOO intimate with 3.5. I've got most of both players handbooks, the DMs guide, and most of the suppliments memorized. That said, some of the rules I think are stupid, or don't fit my campaign well. Fortionately, my players don't mind if I play a little fast and loose with the rules, as long as they have fun, and the changes I make make sense. For example, On crit fails, bad things happen to them..sometimes, VERY bad things happen. I think the worst that I've done to them, the fighter crit failed while, and there was 2 bad guys, and 2 allies in range...I made him role attack roles against all of them, including flanking as applicable. Any that he hit, he rolled his damage (with full mods) to. And then he fell over, and landed on his own sword, so he dealt damage to himself. And in the process of falling, provoked AoOs from the 2 bad guys. If it hadn't been for the rogue, they all would have likely died. Another player crit failed, and his weapon went flying, and hit the rogue, revealing her presence to the NPCs near her. Yeah...I'm an ass. Of course, it's a double-edged sword. So far, I've had 2 uber-powerful NPCs. The sort that 1 guy should be able to hold their own pretty easily against 4 players...both crit failed on attacks, and got owned as a direct result (one of them fell over, the other stumbled, provoking AoOs). Nothing like watching players almost in tears simply from rolling a natural 1.

The world I run is also a declining magic world (basicly...everyone knows there's magical creatures. Most people have even seen them. And there's magic users. But the magical races are declining, and fewer people with magical potential, particularly arcane magic, are being born). There's very, very few wizards/sorcerors powerful enough to create the more powerful magical objects and such, so I've created my own list of non-magic enhancement items, armor enhancements, and weapons enhancements, as well as 4 different 'quality' levels of weapons and armor. Orc being worst, then human, then dwarven, then elven. The higher the quality, the more options you have avalible to you (except elven. Elves make an extremely limited veriaty of weapons and armor, but they're the only ones that can put magic enhancements of any sort on them), but you also pay more.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: