The Zombie Hunters Forum: WE GO THERE.
October 22, 2014, 09:55:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Oh, Gutted Hobo...you tried to steal supplies, and ended up stealing our hearts.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DnD help  (Read 19727 times)
Lordmanannan
Zombie

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 01:48:28 pm »

That's a grand idea. Reminds me of Shanarra kind of in the later supplements. I convinced my DM to introduce airships into his world and created a Eladrin SwordMage that was a hydrophobic airship pirate that has a teleporting addiction (4th Ed).

I run my crits failures mostly the same way in Star Wars. Nigh every DnD session I've played with my friend has had the retelling of someone botching a blaster fire in a cave that just happened to reflect off the crystals and hit him in the ass. He likes to tell it directly after he does the same thing to someone else in his game. I catch AOE fault.
Achilles
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 06:59:34 pm »

The thing I love about D&D is that you can take anything from anywhere, and then just throw it out the window and start over.

Maybe in his world, Half vampires are a fairly common thing, so people WON'T run in terror from them. Don't force yourself into the preset mold, D&D is about playing an interactive story.
No, 1/2 Vamps are very, very rare. There are a fair number of people that have some vampire blood in them, and full vampires aren't totally unheard of (some are even 'good' guys, though since I don't use a fixed alignment system, good is relative). As far as the group knows, however, this player is the only 1/2 vamp in...well...ever. Of course, she's not the only 1/2 vampire, she just doesn't know that yet.

That's a grand idea. Reminds me of Shanarra kind of in the later supplements. I convinced my DM to introduce airships into his world and created a Eladrin SwordMage that was a hydrophobic airship pirate that has a teleporting addiction (4th Ed).
Heh. My policy for what players can, and cannot do, is that they can try anything. That doesn't mean it will work. Perfect example of this is when my 1/2 vamp (who has a high charisma, added to which is a limited bonus from being a vampire) and rogue needed to assassinate a base commander. Their were 2 guards outside, and 2 guards inside, plus the base commander. But they only knew about the 2 guards outside and the commander. However, they wanted to kill the commander in his sleep, so the rogue stealthed the 2 guards outside. When they opened the door, boom, there were 2 very surprised looking guards looking at them, hands on their weapons. Improvising, the 1/2 vamp pretended to be a hooker, and proceeded to seduce the guards. One of them apparently lost a little too much blood to his brain, and fainted. The other was so focused on the 1/2 vamp he didn't notice the dagger in his spine until it was too late. All without waking up the commader. That went down in the 'book of epic moments'. Took us 15 minutes to stop laughing long enough to finish the mission.
Azakma
Zombie

Rossaw@Centurytel.net sftd+now
View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 11:56:15 pm »

Achilles, while you've certainly put a lot into your home brew template, I think the first issue that comes up is still party clashing. Even if there isn't an alignment issue, most characters simply aren't built to work primarily at night. There are issues with vision, wakefulness, length of day, among other things I'd surely come up with if I sat and considered it. Granted, if you play somewhat off the cuff, these aren't a huge problem, but if that's the case, then designing an elaborate point based system for vampire strength and weakness is somewhat unnecessary. If you and the player both want to explore the half-vampire route, I would suggest a simpler template, and possibly giving some reason why the character would, for example, be able to walk around during the day, simply to not cause issues for the rest of the party who are likely not optimized for night time combat.

No might can bring us down.
We will destroy any corruption.
We will erase the killers of the poor.
There is no way to bring us down.
Achilles
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 07:03:26 pm »

Achilles, while you've certainly put a lot into your home brew template, I think the first issue that comes up is still party clashing. Even if there isn't an alignment issue, most characters simply aren't built to work primarily at night. There are issues with vision, wakefulness, length of day, among other things I'd surely come up with if I sat and considered it. Granted, if you play somewhat off the cuff, these aren't a huge problem, but if that's the case, then designing an elaborate point based system for vampire strength and weakness is somewhat unnecessary. If you and the player both want to explore the half-vampire route, I would suggest a simpler template, and possibly giving some reason why the character would, for example, be able to walk around during the day, simply to not cause issues for the rest of the party who are likely not optimized for night time combat.
I'm not super harsh on the daylight issue. Basicly, as long as they keep all their skin covered, and use a hate or something to shade their eyes, they don't get any penalties for being in sunlight. For now at least, the group only operates during the day. (of course, that can always change).
Azakma
Zombie

Rossaw@Centurytel.net sftd+now
View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 10:06:14 pm »

I still think it's rather quite complex, but if it doesn't unbalance your players, or greatly slow your plot, then I don't see why not; it doesn't seem like a major unbalancing factor. It may need tweaking along the way, and you should warn your player that it could change, because having one player particularly stronger or weaker will certainly ruin it for someone. If that's ok with everyone, then it seems fine.

No might can bring us down.
We will destroy any corruption.
We will erase the killers of the poor.
There is no way to bring us down.
The Cyber Pope
Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 03:39:45 am »

=P
I keed, I keed.
Just read all that, and it's WAAAAAY over my head.
Thought I'd throw that in there.

She is such a pretty girl, her shape fits well into a mold
Her mind removed, her body sold
She does exactly what she's told

And he is such a brave young man
If his brain can't then violence can
We drained his mind since life began
Of compassion he once had
Cheez
Voted most likely to hug.
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Rawra?

lcharters2@hotmail.com nihtgenga1990
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2010, 07:41:38 am »

use a hate or something to shade their eyes,

Grr! I hate you so much, my eyes are in shadow! Raagh!

Quote from: mudmonkey
Cheez is fuckin hawt with teh boobehs.
Quote from: Sammich!
Cheez is also a raptor...pirate. A raptor pirate. Playing chess.
WARNING- If you send me a PM with no subject, I WILL NOT REPLY.
Achilles
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2010, 08:37:09 am »

I still think it's rather quite complex, but if it doesn't unbalance your players, or greatly slow your plot, then I don't see why not; it doesn't seem like a major unbalancing factor. It may need tweaking along the way, and you should warn your player that it could change, because having one player particularly stronger or weaker will certainly ruin it for someone. If that's ok with everyone, then it seems fine.
I am concerned that it'll be too hard to keep up with, but if it is I'll probably start having the player keep track of their 'level' and what all that means themself. Overall, the group kinda likes that the 1/2 vamp is, at times, really overpowered. At times, they're all really overpowered (I also have a warblade character. Those guys are inherently overpowered). At times, the 1/2 vamp is also extremely weak.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: