The Zombie Hunters Forum: WE GO THERE.
October 22, 2017, 10:32:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HOLY CRAPTARDS!!!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARC Interviews with Survivors  (Read 1173 times)
IronBrig4
Civillian Police

IronBrig4
View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 13, 2017, 11:14:54 pm »

I doubt many people will read this. I just felt like doing some creative writing. This is a transcript from the ARC processing department as they evaluate new arrivals.

ARC Processing Transcript

One of our scavenging teams contacted a group of five individuals in the Wasteland last week. After making arrangements with the scavenging team, the group arrived at a rendezvous yesterday for pickup. Each of the five will be interviewed separately, after which they are to be processed.

Applicant Name: Adam Horton
Origin: Sandusky, OH

ARC Officer: We want you to understand that this is not an interrogation. We just want to hear your experiences.

Horton: Yeah, I get it.

ARC: Your group is relatively healthy compared to most people who arrive here. Did you prepare for the outbreak?

Horton: Not really. Like most everyone else in the US, I was convinced that the virus was a Third World problem like ebola. I saw the tearjerker human interest stories of decimated villages in Liberia or Bangladesh. The newspapers showed photos but always cut out the more gruesome ones so they'd avoid angry letters to the editor. I just shook my head and turned the page.

ARC: So did your community fortify itself when the outbreak started?

Horton: No. Sandusky pretty much emptied out when the outbreak came to Ohio. We evacuated to Cleveland because it was supposed to be safe.

ARC: Cleveland?

Horton: Yup. And whatever you heard, it was even worse. I was lucky to have a friend there who had a sailboat on the lake. We got out the day before the Air Force dropped fuel-air bombs over the camps.

ARC: And what happened after that?

Horton: We mostly just drifted from island to island, trying to scrounge or fish what we could.

ARC: That sounds like many other stories we get, and those people are usually in terrible shape. What do you think you did differently?

Horton: Police tape.

ARC: What?

Horton: Yellow police tape. Early on, the authorities treated zombie attacks like any violent crime. Witness statements, CSI, blood spatter analysis, the works. Not that it mattered because things went to shit before the first zombie was arraigned. To be fair, it looked like a lot of attacks were domestic situations or burglaries gone horribly wrong. Or maybe someone under the influence of a scary new drug. The cops would show up at a house thinking they were going to tase a wife beater. Instead they found themselves face to face with a zombie, when they didn't even know what a zombie was. They'd try to talk it down, then subdue it by non-lethal means. Pepper spray did jack shit. Tasers slowed them down a little. Eventually the cops wrestled it down and cuffed it, but not before it bit who knows how many of them. If you want to see one of the original zombies, find an abandoned police car and check the back seat. Chances are there's a cuffed zombie that's been stuck there since the first days. As the attacks became more frequent and we finally knew what we were dealing with, the cops stopped caring about a zombie's Miranda rights. Eventually they just shot it, bagged it, and carted it off. No investigation. When things started to get worse and everything broke down, the cops stopped responding to calls. Then the phones went dead and you know the rest.

ARC: So what's the point?

Horton: Oh yeah, the police tape. If we could find a taped building, we went in. Cops guarded crime scenes until the neighborhood evacuated to a "safe zone." The mass looting just didn't happen in policed areas. And since those folks evacuated on the understanding that emergency services would provide food and shelter, they left a lot of necessaries behind. Afterward scavengers mostly targeted the big box stores and shopping malls. Seriously, who tries to hole up in a shopping mall? A single apartment or house was beneath notice. So yeah, it's that magical sweet spot of decent, untapped loot. Aside from the chalk outlines and the old blood smears, it's like there was no outbreak. There's still toothpaste and soap by the sink. There's usually several days' worth of canned food in the pantries. And let me tell you, there's nothing like finding a place that still has clean sheets and charged batteries. Heh, and sometimes we find condoms in the sock drawer. There was this one time-

ARC: We don't need to know that.

Horton: Okay.

ARC: We've heard enough. We will now give you over to another officer who will work out the specifics.

ARC Note - Entry: Granted. Assignment and living quarters to be assigned later.
DochSavage
Outbreak Survivor

Never give up. Never give in. Fight beyond.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 08:20:50 am »

Good one.  I liked it.

The reward for work well-done is more work.
Or sometimes, a return to the kitchen.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: