The Zombie Hunters Forum: WE GO THERE.
April 20, 2014, 11:14:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Eat at Ed's Ale Shack and Grill!

Plastic forks are currently banned, we apologize for any inconvenience.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Convent  (Read 14739 times)
Dodom
Lead Milo Death Theorist
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Necrolicious

anarchostaliniste@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2010, 02:39:49 pm »

Only options 3 and 5 had no chances of success. Option 2 was viable too, but would have resulted in injuries.

I walked closer to the man who opened, but not within arm's reach in case he planned to attack. In the same time, I could get a better view of the inside. Aside from the technician, no one else was in sight. There were some doors lining a hallway further ahead but it was narrow, and another passage to his right but the angle was awkward. A terrible place for an ambush. Why was this man doing something that would obviously anger us if they had no way to take us down quickly?
I told him to wait just a minute, and went back to my buddies to instruct them quietly enough for the others not to hear.
"With Sam and Joe away, we're not numerous enough to attack effectively. We wouldn't be able to... incapacitate them before they can shoot a couple of us, even if - as I think - they don't have enough guns to arm every man. But I'm afraid they won't release Robert (that's the doctor's name, I don't remember mentionning it) without a little "persuation", so here's what we'll do: Francine, return to the house and wait for Sam and Joe. If we don't return, you'll be in charge of telling the Convent what happened here. I want you out of weapons' range before anything nasty can happen, so get going now. Larry will come inside with me. No shooting unless I say so! And the others, stay out, and if you hear shots and we don't come back, use the explosives in the nastiest ways you can imagine. Save the doctor if you can... if we come to this point it'll be up to your judgement."
To tell the truth, even Larry seemed surprised by my aggressive attitude, but frankly, I just didn't see many options. I returned to the man and showed my gun. The technician gasped in shock and ran away. I aimed at him by reflex but didn't shoot: I already knew he was way too nervous, if he alerted the others... at least it'd mean they hadn't actually planned to trap us.
"Look, I said, I value my comrades and I'm sure you feel the same ways about yours. If there's any real reason you want to keep the doctor longer, we can discuss it, if we fight, people we prefer alive will die. For now, lets just bring him here, so we can make sure he's safe."
Never assume fear will make someone obey. He took a few steps inward alright, but just turned back to me and attempted to explain, like a child trying to blame a mess on everything but himself, instead of cleaning it up.
"Look, he was operating someone a few hours ago, someone's leg had been wounded and healed around a bunch of dirt and things we couldn't take out and recently it began to infect and stuff... it's not a complicated operation so he accepted to do it, but it was long, and he worked taking no breaks until he was done, and then I guess it was exhaustion, he ran to his things and looked for something and then yelled that someone had stolen his things and got fucking mad, like crazy! He didn't stay mad long, but he passed out before he could finish a sentence and we couldn't wake him up and... he's not doing good at all, maybe it's even a stroke or something... ok, no one else wanted to be the one telling you... damn, who knows, maybe he's dying because of us, I don't know what happened! I just don't know!"
I glared at him: "It's not just your technician, all your dumb group has dumb panic attacks, how did you survive this far? You almost got everybody killed with your half-assed lies!"
I was pissed off, and worried. A few of the nuns had nurse training, but Robert was our only doctor, he was not replaceable, and while not my personal friend, a fine guy in general. I sure didn't like to know he was in danger!

1- Take the doctor back home as quickly as possible so the nuns can look after him.
2- Have a look at him first. I only know the most basic first aid but maybe there is someting I - or someone else in my group - can do.
3- A more believable story to lure us in, that's what it must be! Don't let our guard down, do whatever it takes to have the doctor brought to the door without exposing ourselves.

Cheez
Voted most likely to hug.
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Rawra?

lcharters2@hotmail.com nihtgenga1990
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2010, 03:11:52 pm »

I say two. Either this guy's a lying prick, in which case boom, or he's telling the truth. You need to see the doctor, and if he really is in a bad way, moving him might not be a good idea. Take Larry and at least one other person though, preferably more.

1-
2- I (Cheez)
3-

Quote from: mudmonkey
Cheez is fuckin hawt with teh boobehs.
Quote from: Sammich!
Cheez is also a raptor...pirate. A raptor pirate. Playing chess.
WARNING- If you send me a PM with no subject, I WILL NOT REPLY.
Rampito
ARC Support Staff

It's a twisted fascination

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2010, 05:55:06 am »

2 III(Cheez, Dave, Ram)

Pancreases collected/stolen: 10
--Pappa Cricco--
Cricco was here
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I think I may of snapped...

done_done_onto_the_next_one@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2010, 04:12:13 am »

2 IV(Cheez, Dave, Ram, Cricco)

Dodom
Lead Milo Death Theorist
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Necrolicious

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2010, 01:17:03 pm »

I didn't like leaving no one out to cover our back, but I think the time for attacks and secret plots is behind... I told everyone to arm themselves and come. People we met in the halls looked surprised to see us clutching our weapons, but in a more curious than worried way. None of them were expecting violence, I understood. If a few members of this community wanted to trick us, they were few, as well as terrible planners. I almost relaxed... this didn't mean we wouldn't meet trouble, but perhaps it did show that our main concern should be our doctor's well-being.
Soon, we saw our doctor Robert lying on a gym carpet they had brought to the room he collapsed in. I noticed how his things lay scattered and remembered that he had claimed to have been robbed just before passing out: maybe someone stole his medicine, he's well into his sixties, he can have some illness. I ordered the man who lead us in to go and find what was stolen: I don't want to know who stole it, I just want it back. And I asked the others if they knew anything about Robert's problem, though I'm sure if they knew, they wouldn't have waited for me to ask.
The doctor didn't look so bad. When I checked the pressure point on the sternum, he moaned a little, so he wasn't completely unconscious, it might be possible to wake him up if needed. Weird, they had told he wasn't doing good at all, why alarm and potentially anger us by exagerating? Well, maybe Robert did get better. We searched through his personal things, but if there had been medicine there, it had been stolen, there was nothing there but clothes and books. As to his medical supplies, well there were plenty of drugs there, but no way to know if any was the type he needed.
As she stuffed his scattered clothes in his bag, Sandra remarked: "Do you think he could have gotten mad over his candy? He could have fainted over blood pressure problems if he was mad enough, I mean, he always has candy on him but I find them no where, old men don't like breaking habits. Children tend to stalk him around the Convent in hope to get some, he's kinda known for that."
Ok, I'm not a doctor, I don't even know a lot on the subject, so I really don't get how no one else figured that out before: people who always carry candy on them are diabetics more often than not. Because if they skip a meal or have a stressful time they need some quick sugar or they faint. That looks a lot like our situation... Come on people, even I know that! Knowing my luck, I bet at least two out of three of my absent companions knew about it and would have saved us concerns... including the next question: what now?

1) Take the doctor home and let the nuns handle it.
2) Wait in case he regains consciousness on his own, and 1) if he doesn't soon.
3) Try feeding him sugared water and hope he doesn't choke.
4) Look for the insulin and stuff in his kit and pray that it comes with instructions.
5) No way, I bet the others used chloroform to knock him out and trick us into waiting here while they ready some device to take us out at once! Erupt in the hallway all guns out and shoot everything! Even paranoiacs have enemies!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!

Cassadar
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

:3

104017760 therealsaibot@web.de
View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2010, 03:18:23 pm »

5!! omg!! kill kill kill!!!

to all others... do not vote that too

Cheez
Voted most likely to hug.
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Rawra?

lcharters2@hotmail.com nihtgenga1990
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2010, 08:39:44 pm »

Fiv... four. Yes. Four. Not five.

Quote from: mudmonkey
Cheez is fuckin hawt with teh boobehs.
Quote from: Sammich!
Cheez is also a raptor...pirate. A raptor pirate. Playing chess.
WARNING- If you send me a PM with no subject, I WILL NOT REPLY.
Jetraymongoose
The Waffle King!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Time Lord

markjohnson_303@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2010, 10:30:44 pm »

Go for four.

All of time and space, anywhere and everywhere, any star that ever was. Where do you want to start?
Rampito
ARC Support Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2010, 06:01:46 am »

Four, hopefully they find a glucose injection.

4 III (Cheez, Jet, Ram)
5 I (Cass)

--Pappa Cricco--
Cricco was here
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2010, 05:18:01 pm »

4 IV (Cheez, Jet, Ram, Dave)
5 II (Cass, Cricco)

Dodom
Lead Milo Death Theorist
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Necrolicious

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2010, 08:07:38 pm »

This story is like House, without doctors! If the hypoglycemic-coma-usually-stops-even-without-treatment bit is not true, blame the Wiki.

What the hell is clarithromycin? Do you know that? Because that's what's written on the first bottle I pulled out of the medicine kit. And I have no idea what it's for. If Robert recovers, I'll demand that he trains at least one of the men who work with me to know more than the basics of emergency care. Morphine? Hey I know who might be interested in that... no, bad Peter. I tried to check every bottle of pills and liquids systematically, but found no insulin. I remember when I helped looting a drugstore, I wasn't next to the doctor while he did that, but he emptied some shelves into a cardboard drum and wrote a warning on it: some drugs went bad with time, bad enough that he didn't want a lonely survivor to cluelessly try using them. Some others merely became useless. That's why there was no insulin, I guess. And none of the directions I hoped to find with it.
And maybe it wasn't such a big problem: the doctor looked half conscious, not awake, but he'd open his eyes, look around himself, and lie down a little longer. Hey, if some sugar could revive him, he was in a state to swallow it as soon as we could provide him. I ran out of the room and caught the first person I met, ordering her to give us some goddamn Pepsi. Goddamn Pepsi never went bad and every store was so packed with it it wasn't going to run out soom. They ought to have some. The girl must have thought I was crazy when I frowned hard at her when she came back with goddamn Coca-Cola. Perhaps I was, the goddamn Pepsi and goddamn Coca-Cola thing was an inside joke between me and someone who was eaten by zombies a few years ago. I didn't guess wrong, he eagerly drank the glass I gave him, but I didn't let him take more when he wanted to, I imagine too much would be a problem as well and he'd deside more wisely once he's fully awake.
You can imagine I was looking forward to going away, and if we left now and met no more problem on the road, we'd be home for supper. The nuns would take good care of the doc, and scold us for the form as the rest of us celebrated our succesful mission with hard liquor. I talked to the others and agreed to let them rest a little and chat with the members of this community, we had been kinda rude on our way in, we'd try to leave a better impression before leaving. We traded some of the explosives we carried - not enough to possibly use against us - for a pile of books on subjects we thought would be useful. This city hall and our convent had one thing in common, they both housed a library, but ours was mostly devoted to antique books, not all religious, and books on subjects the nuns were trained in (I'm still in awe over learning most of them had been to college), it lacked several topics. In a future trip, I'd take a pile of novels. And we finally left. The doctor wasn't in the greatest shape, but he made sense now and swore he was doing fine.
We made it to the house we had spent the night in, and found Francine waiting for us, a strange smirk on her face. She could barely wait for us to settle to grab my hand and drag me to the basement. Petite women often assumed they weren't strong enough to hurt bigger men and were more brutal than needed. She almost threw me down the stairs, where I saw what excited her so: in the boring hours she had waited for either us or Sam and Joe to come back, she had searched the house for anything interesting and found all our stolen things in a closet. The thief was one of us!
I begged her not to tell anyone else for now, and from her expression I guessed she had the same idea.

1) Larry never fit in with us and he's capable of living on his own, I guess he stole himself the gear to get started on his own. He can keep it and never come back.
2) It must be the technician, he's not one of us and his group has inferior weaponry, he has reasons to want to steal some.
3) It could be any of us. Lets have everyone participate in hope to narrow it down to as few suspects as possible.
4) It could be any of us. Lets not tell anyone not to make people distrust each others and keep an eye on the ones I suspect after we're back home.

NINJA'd!! But this time it didn't change the results of the vote.

Cassadar
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

:3

104017760 therealsaibot@web.de
View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2010, 08:38:19 pm »

pfffft... i bet it was Peter himself in his sleep.....

but meh... 4) i guess....

--Pappa Cricco--
Cricco was here
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2010, 01:08:30 am »

2 I (Cricco)
4 I (Cass)

Rampito
ARC Support Staff

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2010, 05:46:50 am »

I laughed when the character didn't give the doc more coke when he asked for it. And yeah the hypoglecimia-passing-even-without-treatment thing may be true; I lost consciousness once because I was having an attack and didn't know until I measured blood glucose, and then I stuffed my mouth full of sugar and lost it. Coulda been the sugar taking effect, coulda been that House' theory is correct. I dunno, I'm not really willing to test it.

/rant

2 I (Cricco)
3 II (Dave, Ram)
4 I (Cass)

Dodom
Lead Milo Death Theorist
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Necrolicious

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2010, 07:04:28 pm »

When Sam and Joe came back, I gathered everyone and showed them Francine's finds. I also repeated our conclusions, though I'm certain everyone drew the same from the facts. One of us was a thief, and maybe a few other of us saw something happen, just not enough to tell it was a theft. I also mentioned that I thought it might be the technician, but not that I also suspected Larry, because I really had nothing that pointed at him, aside for my general distrust.
And both of them had no turn of guard, so no good occasion. Myself, Francine, Samuel, Sandra and Joe guarded while we slept, but there is no one I don't deeply trust in this list. I don't suspect myself, if Francine had stolen it why would she return it while no one was going to find it, and since Sam and Joe had more time by themselves in this house, they would have moved the weapons out before we came back. There's only Sandra I didn't have a specific reason not to suspect, but I didn't see a thief in her...
"Larry went out to piss during my turn, Sam said. But I think I heard other people get up at other points of the night.
- I did, Sandra said, I got up twice, I don't sleep well out of the Convent.
- I got up to take some water, Joe added, and the technician was gone when I came back. He returned a minute later, and I don't think I was away long.
- And I did see Sandra when she was up, one of her trips was during my shift, I said. Ok, so at least half of us got up at night, and I don't think I'd have noticed if one took longer than they're supposed. Actually, if they knew what they wanted, they could steal things, hide them, and still take a wizz and still come back in a reasonable time. I need you all to think hard, because I have no clue here: if we come back to the Convent as it is, we're taking a traitor in, someone who could put us all in danger. To that person, if we know who you are now, we'll let you take your bounty and leave us unhurt, but if we find out who you are later... you know what Mom does to traitors."
Actually, Mom had only killed a murderer and would-be rapist, I doubt she'd be that hard on a thief, but her reputation was intimidating to most inhabitants of the Convent. It seemingly wasn't enough to get the thief to denounce himself, though, and of course if it was the technician, he wasn't hearing the threat at all. We could perhaps have other ways to find clues. Reading fingerprints wasn't rocket science, if we left the junk as untouched as possible and brought it back to the Convent, we'd have plenty of time to figure it out. I'd let the nuns do the job for neutrality, since to the others I was as suspect as anyone else. On the other hand... I seriously didn't like the idea of letting the thief roam free in our home.

1- Go home and learn how to check for fingerprints.
2- No, we can't let the thief loose home. Stay here until someone confesses or we agree on who did it.
3- It's probably the technician, and if it isn't, it's as good having the others believe it so they don't distrust each other.
4- Leave it as it is. The thief will steal again, but every time the chances of getting caught will increase and eventually we'll know for sure.
5- Who's boss here? I'm not sure it's Larry, but he's my main suspect and he never was disciplined, if he doesn't confess I'll make an example out of him and the others will be more afraid to break the rules in the future.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: