The Zombie Hunters Forum: WE GO THERE.
April 23, 2014, 03:30:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Oh, Gutted Hobo...you tried to steal supplies, and ended up stealing our hearts.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hunter the Reckoning: Brookvale  (Read 20845 times)
TheLastOutlaw
Alone in this darkness, there’s a dream still worth saving
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I have a hockey mask and a questionable moral code

outlaw_dr@hotmail.com Roadbuster roadbuster_99
View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 27, 2010, 04:11:37 pm »

Friday February 19th 2010, 0515 AM Brookvale IL.

Brandon Slater was cold and tired.  His band DeathWish had wrapped up a gig the night before.  They had played till last call despite only being booked until midnight, there was a good crowd and the club owner had tossed in a nice bonus for their extra time.  But by the time they had packed up their gear and he had gotten back to his apartment it was almost 5 in the morning.  As usual he hadn't gone shopping and he cursed himself for buying a motorcycle instead of a car as he sped off down the street in search of food with the weather hovering at freezing.  Plans to run across town to mooch off of Joey his bass player changed as he quickly began to lose feeling in his fingers.  Instead he pulled over at the first diner that was showing signs of life and quickly killed the bike and shuffled inside, clapping his gloved hands together to get the circulation going in them.

The lone waitress on duty looked at him and Brandon did a double take at the intense scrutiny she subjected him to.  She was short, only a few inches over five feet, with her mid length red hair pulled back into a ponytail, but she held herself with a barely concealed aggression that raised the hair on the back of his neck.  As he sat down and began pulling of his helmet and gloves she tossed a menu onto the counter and crossed her arms under her nametag which said simply "Mary".

"Good morning," Brandon said, not even looking at the menu.  "I'd like two eggs, sunny side up with bacon and orange juice.  Also some coffee.”

(((OOC Yep, that’s the same Mary that Cheez is playing.  It’s the start of a new day in Brookvale, what are your characters up to?)))

Visit my Deviant Art page, home of Manic Depression: The Webcomic! http://thelastoutlaw.deviantart.com
Quote from: Dara
Mask, stapler, Machete.. The Last Outlaw: Like Jason, only more awesome, bitch.
Helmi_17
Outbreak Survivor

Truant2601

Helmi_17@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 05:49:56 pm »

Zach half-opened one sleepy eye to take note of the newcomer to his surroundings and yawned.  Zach had long-since finished his food and had been sitting in a booth in the back corner of the diner.  His laptop sat open in front of him, dead, next to a cold cup of coffee.

He looked at his watch... It was a bit too big, he had taken it off a 'police officer' a few months ago, so he had to wiggle his wrist around to get the watch face in the right spot.  5:15 a.m. He had been asleep for over an hour.

"Son of a bitch" he muttered under his breath and straightened up in the booth seat.  His back and right shoulder cracked as he righted himself.

He gulped down the last bit of his now ice cold coffee and made an unpleasant face.  "Hey Mary, can I get some more coffee, pleease"  He grinned wryly and held a $20 bill in his hand so Mary could see it was there.

He took a quick self inventory... Computer is still here.  Backpack.. yes.  He looked outside to make sure his mountain bike was still chained to the sign out front, good.  He patted the front pocket of his O.D. green canvas trench coat to make sure his holdout was still there.  Good.  He had decided that it wasn't good for much in the past few weeks, but it was a nice security blanket.

Zach yawned again loudly and ran his fingers through his short-ish bleached blond hair and then reached into his backpack looking for a spare laptop battery.  He had decided that he liked this diner very early in his stay in Brookvale, ever since the time he showed up in the middle of the night looking like he'd been in a war, and no one asked any questions.  Mary was pretty stern, but she didn't seem to mind when Zach caught a few hours of sleep.  Maybe she liked him, or maybe she liked his $20 tips.  Either way, she didn't ask questions and that made her good people with Zach.  Also... You could manage to pick up the internet from one of the shops across the street.  The network was secure, but that wasn't anything Zach couldn't handle.

He powered up the laptop, took another survey of the place, and started banging away on the keyboard.

"Let's wax these critters"
Firesolved
potatOWNED!
Half-Life

Death Machine

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 08:56:27 pm »

Carl stumbled out of the alley way across the street from the diner. He started to cough and pretty soon that became wheezing. His breath smelled like liquor and vomit and he was pretty sure that the stain on his trousers and shoes was urine.

He recovered himself and started to run his hands through his thinning brown hair. His gray eyes seemed even more empty today and the bags underneath them betrayed his lack of sleep. It wasn't that Carl was homeless, it was just that his apartment didn't feel like home. Especially with whatever it was watching him. He could see them. Not as you and I understand the word "see" either. It was driving Carl insane, slowly but surely.

He spotted the diner and decided that would be a good a place as any to get cleaned up at and, if he had enough change, get some breakfast as well.

He lurched up to the front door and noticed a bike chained to the sign. Some reckless kids no doubt. Carl thought about the thrill it would be to steal the bike as he stumbled inside. He looked around and saw a couple of people, not including the waitress. He saw that the bathroom was past the counter and started to make his way for it. A patron eyed him warily and the waitress gave him a look. Carl towered over the waitress with his lanky 6'5" frame.

"Just usin' yer privy," he muttered as he walked past. He ignored their grimace at his smell and pushed open the bathroom door. He made his way to the sink and started to run water over his face.

You're getting old. The alcohol thing is killing your body. He took a paper towel, wet it and started to try and clean the stains off his pants. Those people in there think you're a crazy old drunk hobo. Maybe that is what you are. You can see all sorts of stuff but you didn't see the look of disgust in their eyes did you? You ignored it like you ignore all of your probl-

Carl cut off his internal chatterbox by dousing his face with cold water again. He eyed the stalls. If there was one thing that sucked about getting old, it was having to use the bathroom so much.

I do it all because I'm evil
And I do it all for free
Your tears are all the pay I'll ever need
-Voltaire "When You're Evil"
Raryn
Raryn? I'm not Raryn...
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I can wait

Raryn@hotmail.com ertsdjhgfgh4
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 10:20:38 pm »

Alex woke with a start and found himself under a pile of torn cardboard on the side of a road. There was a empty bottle of whiskey lying nearby and he remembered why he was there. He had procured the bottle while the attendant at the liqueur store wasn't watching and had drank away his sorrows before crawling under a pile of cardboard the past night. His head was killing him, he reached into the worn white doctor's coat he was wearing and pulled a bottle of aspirin out. He popped the lid and swallowed a few of the pills before re-capping it.

"Need some more," he said placing the bottle back in the coat and getting to his feet. It had been about half a year since his dismissal at the local hospital and he still had not gotten over how they had treated him. Arresting him like that, taking away his license, then throwing him out on the streets. He sighed and noticed a diner across from where he was. The smell of fresh brewing coffee and cooking foods made his stomach growl. He could not remember the last time he had had a cooked meal. He had been living off of alcohol and fast food scraps for the past couple days.

He made his way across the street, his head still ringing from the after effects of the whiskey, and pushed his way through the door. Even at the early hour, there seemed to be quite a few people here. A kid sitting at a computer in one of the stalls, another sitting at the counter talking to the waitress, and he caught a glimpse of an older man entering the bathroom. He made his way to the counter and plopped down on an empty stool.

"Excuse me miss," he said to the waitress. "Um, a mug of coffee please, black."
TheLastOutlaw
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 09:26:50 am »

Brandon raised his eyebrows as first one, then a second person walked in, both looking like derelicts and smelling of booze.  The first shuffled past him towards the restroom while the second sat at the counter nearby and ordered coffee.  Brandon finished pouring sugar into his coffee and began stirring it as he looked around, trying to figure out what sort of what diner he had wandered into.  At the moment the only other person he hadn’t noticed before seemed to be a young kid crouched over a battered laptop.  It seemed early for the kid to be out for a before school breakfast but what the hell, to each his own.

Brandon sipped at his coffee, enjoying the warmth as it spread through his body.  Once he felt more like a human being again he turned to his new seatmate, “So how’s it going man?  You look like you had a rough night last night.  I know how that is.  Just got off work myself you know?”  Brandon smiled a lazy half smile and sipped at his coffee again.

Visit my Deviant Art page, home of Manic Depression: The Webcomic! http://thelastoutlaw.deviantart.com
Cheez
Voted most likely to hug.
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Rawra?

lcharters2@hotmail.com nihtgenga1990
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 11:17:56 am »

Mary was tired. Almost exhausted, in fact. She didn't deal well with sleeplessness, but there was nothing she could do about that- she was stuck on the shitty night shift as punishment for being late a couple of times too often, thanks to her new 'second job'. Still, it was better than being fired. She sighed, wishing the kid would go away. She liked him, and certainly pitied him- he was in here too often, and at too odd hours not to have some kind of problems- but with an empty diner maybe she could sit down and have a quick nap.

No such luck. A guy on a bike pulled up outside and entered the diner. Mary grabbed a menu and went over to him as he came in and sat down, giving him the menu. Normally she would greet him with a (normally) genuine, friendly smile, but right now she was just too sleepy.

"Good morning. I'd like two eggs, sunny side up with bacon and orange juice.  Also some coffee.”

"Ok, that'll be [insert price here]." she said, writing the order down in her notebook. "It should just be a few minutes."

She turned away and began walking to the kitchen area when Zach spoke up.

"Hey Mary, can I get some more coffee, pleease?"

"Sure thing, Zach."

Mary walked over to his booth and took his cup. "Try to actually finish this one, OK?" She smiled, letting him know she didn't really mind. "And I've told you before, I don't like taking such big tips from kids. Where'd you get this much cash, anyway?"

Mary took the note anyway. She doubted she'd have her job much longer, so any tips would be helpful.

She went to the kitchen area and gave the order to Joey, the cook. She then went over to the coffee machine. I could do with one of these myself. she thought, yawning. As she poured two mugs, a bum entered the diner. Damn, he smelt.

"Just usin' yer privy,"

"Um, right."

Fuck, I hope he doesn't make a mess. I hate cleaning up shit...

Mary served the coffee to Zach and the biker. Not long after, another guy came in.
"Excuse me miss. Um, a mug of coffee please, black."

"Sure thing, honey. That'll be [price]."

Once the man paid, Mary poured him a mug, putting double the price into the cash register and pouring a mug for herself, too.

((I'm not too familiar with how diners work, but I think that a waitress and cook is correct. Let me know if I'm wrong and I'll edit.))

Quote from: mudmonkey
Cheez is fuckin hawt with teh boobehs.
Quote from: Sammich!
Cheez is also a raptor...pirate. A raptor pirate. Playing chess.
WARNING- If you send me a PM with no subject, I WILL NOT REPLY.
TheLastOutlaw
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 12:39:17 pm »

(((OOC 1 waitress and cook is fine for a late/early shift.)))

Brandon looked back over his shoulder at the sound of the door opening.  A tall, thin man in a suit slapped a ten dollar bill on the counter and barked for, "A black coffee to go and an english muffin."  The clock over the register was creeping towards 0530 and Brandon rubbed his eyes, they were beginning to tear and drift out of focus with fatigue.  He'd been up close to 24 hours already and was ready to crash.

Brandon sighed and ran his hands through his hair.

Helmi_17
Outbreak Survivor

Truant2601

Helmi_17@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 04:20:26 pm »

Zach took note of Mary as she approached and put the $20 down on the table.

"Try to actually finish this one, OK? And I've told you before, I don't like taking such big tips from kids. Where'd you get this much cash, anyway?"

"MMM"  Zach inhaled deeply, enjoying the smell of the coffee.  Zach put a huge smile on his face and offered up a peppy "I will!"  He paused for a second, assuming a rather grim look of doubt.  "Hey, you need it more than I do... and besides, I can't take it with me anyway, right?"

He paused again for a second... "I'm sorry... Uhm, thanks!" Zach summoned up a weak smile, took a sip of the coffee, and went back to banging away on his laptop.

--Stupid Stupid Stupid!!!  Don't make friends or get close you asshole, you've seen what happens to -friends- these days.  Oh, well, it's not like I'll be seeing her much after this anymore anyway.--

Zach took a second to take note of all the new additions to the diner.  He met eyes for a second with the kid at the counter and gave a good once over to the newcomer. 

"A black coffee to go and an english muffin."

--Some goddamn hotshot--

Zach looked down at his laptop.

YOU ARE NOT ALONE

He blinked his eyes twice and looked again.

NOT ALONE

Zach rubbed his eyes and when he opened them the laptop's screen had returned to normal.

--Fucking assholes, I wish they would express a complete thought now and then.--

Zach took another quick look around the diner, then reached into his pocket and thumbed the safety off on his backup.  He'd learned early on that there's no such thing as "too paranoid".
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 05:35:54 pm by Helmi_17 » Logged

"Let's wax these critters"
Cheez
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Rawra?

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 05:52:30 pm »

"A black coffee to go and an english muffin."

"Coming right up sir, you want anything with that?"

Asshole.

Mary hated it when they didn't say please. It was just plain rude. She smiled sweetly anyway as she handled the cash. Once she'd given the man his change, she served him a polystyrene mug of coffee and went to get him his muffin.

Firesolved
potatOWNED!
Half-Life

Death Machine

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 06:22:40 pm »

Carl was tightening up his belt when that familiar tingle came on to his head.

Oh, here we go.

With his minds eye, he saw the diner he was in covered in blood. He tries to look around, to see the source of the gore and a light brighter than the sun blinded him. With this strange light, there was a deep and resonant voice.

Balance.

With that, the light subsided and his minds eye went blank again. Carl rubbed his head and went back to the sink to wash his hands.

Right, balance. Well, old timer. You heard the man. Balance.

He dried off his hands and walked out into the diner. He sat at the diner and raised his hand to beckon the waitress over.

"Good morning my dear," he said with a sloppy grin. "I would like a small coffee and an egg sandwich if you don't mind."

He looked over at the two men at the counter and gave them a greeting as well. No sense in being a grouch as well as old.

"The balance is in my hands?" Carl wondered to himself softly. His mind went on to think of the multiple things his vision could mean.

And I do it all for free
Raryn
Raryn? I'm not Raryn...
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I can wait

Raryn@hotmail.com ertsdjhgfgh4
View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 09:03:44 pm »

Alex paid the waitress when she gave him the price of a cup of coffee and settled down to it. He took a sip. It was hot and strong and he could feel his mind coming back from the edge of hangover territory. As he sat there, he heard the door open and there was a man near him at the counter slapping down a ten and ordering for coffee and a muffin rather rudely. After the waitress answered him and poured him his coffee, Alex turned to face the man. He seemed normal enough, given the crowd that was already here, but something about the man set him on edge. He had been having feelings like this since he was discharged from the hospital. H e responded to the greeting that the old man gave once he reappeared from the bathroom before turning back to the man in the suit.

"You know, you should be more polite to the ones handling your food," he said in an off hand way he a slight smile on his face. He'd seen this thing happen before. "Never know what they could do if they were in a bad mood." 
Cheez
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Rawra?

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 06:50:08 am »

Mary smiled at the man as she gave him his muffin, nodding slightly as if to say 'The other guy's right, you know.'

She then went over to the bum who'd decided he would like some food as well as a toilet, though she kept an eye on the rude guy. Something about him just didn't sit right. Eh, it was probably just ruffled feathers over the rudeness.
She was smiling again when she reached the bum. Now that was how you order your food. It was interesting, that. The down-and-outs were almost always exceedingly polite.

"Morning. Small coffee, egg sandwich." She wrote this down on her notebook. "That'll be [x amount of money] please, sir."

Firesolved
potatOWNED!
Half-Life

Death Machine

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 07:57:26 am »

Carl frowned at the price and hoped he had enough money. He searched his pockets and pulled out all the bills and change he had. A five dollar bill...three singles and 83 cents in change. The amount he had was enough to cover his meal and the lady seemed well enough a competent waitress, so he slid all the money forward.

"Don't worry about change, young lady," he said with a tired smile. "It's not a lot but you know..." He made an off hand gesture down at his clothes and the weariness in his smile grew. 

Well, I hope to god he didn't mean a balanced breakfast.

And I do it all for free
TheLastOutlaw
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 10:40:41 am »

Brandon was having a harder time focusing, the lettering on the menu in front of him seemed like it was trying to skitter off the page and he blinked repeatedly.  His eyes were beginning to tear and a strange feeling was in the pit of his stomach, a feeling he hadn't experienced since... "Oh my God no..." he whispered to himself.

The door to the diner opened and an icy chill much more intense than just the cold outside swept in.  A man, lean to the point of being gaunt, stepped briskly inside, his long coat flapping behind him.  The words on Brandons menu twisted and melted, becoming new words, "UNATURAL, BEWARE" and suddenly the world changed.  Almost everyone in the diner was bathed in a strange light.  The two derelicts at the counter with him, the waitress, even the kid in the back.  The "muffin man" nearby looked perfectly normal and didn't even spare a second glance at the new comer.  Brandon resisted the urge to cringe away from the newcomer who instead of being brightly lit was dull gray, dark and sooty.  Some shape flickered in and out of focus around him, as though he was part of a badly superimposed photograph.  The menu flashed one more word, "BALANCE" before the lettering seem to return to normal.

The gray thing brushed past the "muffin man," moving between Brandon and Alex and placed a hand on each of their shoulders.  "Brandon, good to see you again, I caught one of your shows earlier this week, fantastic.  You guys have really improved since your earliest gigs.  And Dr. Forsyth, it's good to see you again as well.  What a cooincidence running into two of Brookvales more noteworthy residents in Mary's diner."  The thing turned towards Mary with a smile that was angled too far, and showed too many teeth to be entirely friendly.

The suit grabbed his muffin and coffee and left, glancing back over his shoulder at Brandon and the Dr, possibly wondering who they were and whether or not he should have been expected to recognize them.  The gray thing detached himself from Brandon and Alex and leaned over the countertop towards Mary.  "Mary my dear, it has come to my attention that you have some, how shall I say this?  Abilities... that may in fact be useful to me.  Oh, don't look so surprised dear.  Your kind keeps popping up and you certainly didn't try to be subtle when you attacked one of my associates.  He has no hard feelings you know, he's been through it all before."  The thing smiled again.  "So you have something that could benefit me and I have something that you want, I believe this is wherein the nature of a business proposition or contract is discussed, perhaps somewhere a bit more private?"  The thing flicked a business card at Mary holding his hand out to her for a moment before clapping his hands loudly together and smiling broadly.

Firesolved
potatOWNED!
Half-Life

Death Machine

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 11:02:25 am »

"Mary my dear, it has come to my attention that you have some, how shall I say this?  Abilities... that may in fact be useful to me.  Oh, don't look so surprised dear.  Your kind keeps popping up and you certainly didn't try to be subtle when you attacked one of my associates.  He has no hard feelings you know, he's been through it all before. So you have something that could benefit me and I have something that you want, I believe this is wherein the nature of a business proposition or contract is discussed, perhaps somewhere a bit more private?"

Carl stood up, his lean, scarecrow like frame loomed over the counter and faced the "man" in the longcoat. The creatures overall demeanor was chaotic and it gave off a sense of palpable evil. This was the balance that Carl had been charged to keep.

"There will be no such meeting, proposition or contract where you are concerned, tortured soul. I ask you now, leave us in peace and never show your face again. I will do what is neccessary to keep the balance. No blood need be shed here, not even yours." He put a hand on the counter to steady himself in the face of such looming malice.

And I do it all for free
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: