The Zombie Hunters Forum: WE GO THERE.
October 23, 2014, 12:44:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Greetings from Crazy Hobo Island!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 91   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Are You Currently Watching II: You Only Watch Twice  (Read 88876 times)
TheLastOutlaw
I calculated the odds of this succeeding against the odds I was doing something incredibly stupidů and I went ahead anyway.
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I have a hockey mask and a questionable moral code

outlaw_dr@hotmail.com Roadbuster roadbuster_99
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #135 on: June 08, 2010, 02:03:19 pm »

So I was recently forced against my will to watch Tim Burtons Alice in Wonderland  Or should I say;  Alice in Underland: The grimdark sequel to the childhood classic where everyone is now a warrior AND crazy instead of just crazy...

Let me preface what is about to follow with this statement.  I used to fucking love Tim Burton.  The first time I saw "Vincent" and the crazy frankenstein dog thing and saw what he was doing I was floored, I thought he was brilliant.  But then he did the same exact thing with every movie he's ever done since...  My love for his work dropped off incrementally as time went on because I wanted to see something different and by different I mean not just bizzare color choices and goth swirlies.  Now that diminishing love for his works hovers somewhere between nonexistent and lukewarm at best.

I was hesitant to see Alice in Wonderland for a few reasons.  My aforementioned diminishing appreciation for Mr. Burton was one reason, another was that I loved Lewis Carrol growing up.  Nonsense is fun, and unlike a lot of things I liked while growing up his works remain fun.  Especially the Alice in Wonderland stories because the nonsense counterpointed by her struggle to remain a proper little English girl takes on new depth when you're older.  And besides, I love quoting from the Jabberwocky and the Walrus and Carpenter during conversations I seek to end quickly by baffling my oppostion conversational partner.  (btw, I have an unpublished book, 101 ways to end unwanted conversations, I can't seem to find someone willing to print a book that encourages people to stick their finger up their nose and hum the theme to Star Wars.)

So anyway, when I was informed that Alice and Wonderland was in the DVD machine on purpose and it was to remain there and I would NOT be playing Red Dead Redemption on the widescreen HD TV I figured "what the hell?" popped open a beer and settled down to watch it.

I should have drank more beer...

I didn't want to dislike it.  I figured I was just going to sit through a mildly amusing tale of nonsense with Burtons signature pastel inspired color scheme and everyone would wear too much pale makeup and flounce about among the goth swirlies.  I was right about pretty much everything but the nonsense.  Of the things I expected from the movie I did not expect to be bored most of the time.  For the majority of the time the denizens of Wonderland *cough* Underland... were suitably strange but the whole Alice is the chosen one schtick?  My gosh man, who thought that outright war in Wonderland *damn it* Underland... was a good idea?  "Let's take a wonderful fanciful tale of nonsense and apply heaps of GRIMDARKTM plus attempts to give it a coherent plot.  Nonsense is supposed to be cheeky and fun, but this nonsense was cruel and tragic... which made it not really nonsense at all...

Yes I love elipeses...

But yea, not so much nonsense, which sucked much of the fun out of it right there.  There were attempts at nonsense, there really were, but they felt strained.  Much like the famous sporks and penguins /b/ chan post it wasn't really zany...  And Alice wasn't acting  prim and proper and English, trying to impose normallacy through reason upon the chaos, she was like a walking zombie whacked out on prozac barely reacting to ANYTHING while complaining that she was dreaming.  Whoever cast her deserves a good swift kick.  Johnny Depp I can take or leave as an actor and in this case he did nothing with the role of the Hatter, or maybe I just couldn't buy the role of the Hatter as some type of warrior.  His bizzare attempts at accents didn't really seem to fit the character and the Alice/Hatter romance angle?  Srsly?  In the books, as in the old Disney Cartoon he was illustrated as being an oldish man.  Given her age when she first arrived in Undergrimdarkland, he would be at LEAST old enough to be her father if not her grandfather now which just made it creepy.  Helena Bonham Carter did a good job as the Red Queen/Queen of Hearts (they couldn't really seem to make up their minds as to which one she supposed to be, maybe both at the same time?) and her CGI was one of the best effects in the movie.  The chesire cat effects were also good.  Tweedledum and Tweedledee were just ok, I loved the March Hare, Anne Hathaway was spacey and sort of annoying but I think she was supposed to be so good acting I guess? 

My biggest complaint has to be the Jabberwock though.  1.  It was a frickin' generic dragon.  Not very epic and certainly not worthy of being called the Jabberwock.  2.  The Jabberwock is a thing of nonsense and imagination, portraying it cheapened it, at least in my opinion. 

The ending where she went back into the real world was retarded and felt tacked on.  I won't go quite so far as to say I hated the film but I imagine Lewis Carrol would weep if he saw it.

Visit my Deviant Art page, home of Manic Depression: The Webcomic! http://thelastoutlaw.deviantart.com
Quote from: Dara
Mask, stapler, Machete.. The Last Outlaw: Like Jason, only more awesome, bitch.
Achilles
« Reply #136 on: June 08, 2010, 09:47:31 pm »

Dr. Who (the restart) Season 1
HK-47
Brings the old-school pain and pimpin'
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Heaven's Smile, meet the Killer7

star.by.star@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #137 on: June 09, 2010, 12:21:23 pm »

On Thursday afternoon, Lonesome Dove, even though I should probably read the novel beforehand. But I have to return it Saturday...

And Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan or translated as Club-To-Death Angel Dokuro-Chan.
So funny and such great usage of blood... Now there's a good representation of an angel!

Ninja'd: 863
Hailfax
Quartermaster
Zombie Hunter
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I'm your mother fucking Quartermaster

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #138 on: June 11, 2010, 09:23:24 pm »

Just finished the first season of Dexter.

I can't believe it takes me this long to get into TV shows. So good.

It's been a hard day's night
Age is no guarantee of efficiency
3DS friend code: 4613-6707-8466
Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #139 on: June 12, 2010, 01:34:39 pm »

Watching My Name Is Earl right now.

My photography tumblr page Skype: Yutrzenika
HK-47
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

star.by.star@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #140 on: June 13, 2010, 12:40:01 am »

Don't have time to watch the miniseries Lonesome Dove, but at least it was able to be renewed.
Definitely going to try and watch some Deadwood later on in the week, but I only got two episodes of it.

BrainBlow
Not really a green haired teenage girl
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Dreaming of green hair

Hosikage93@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #141 on: June 13, 2010, 02:35:12 pm »

"Lupin III vs Detective Conan"
This WILL be seen by me before I pass away from this world!
Holy fucking shit!

Ive gained an all-new respect for BB this day. LET IT BE KNOWN!

[c
Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #142 on: June 13, 2010, 03:32:05 pm »

Where do you watch Lupin III? I saw it on TV awhile ago, and really enjoyed it, but have only ever managed to find a Christmas episode online.

HK-47
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

star.by.star@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #143 on: June 13, 2010, 05:07:50 pm »

Lupin III

It should work, and it's subbed.

ce_gray
ARC Support Staff

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 13, 2010, 05:09:52 pm »

Leverage. Awesome show.

Is getting her butt kicked by psychology.
Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #145 on: June 13, 2010, 06:48:10 pm »

Lupin III

It should work, and it's subbed.
Thanks, I just watched episode 1. Pretty good anime. Where do you find the other seasons of it?

TheLastOutlaw
I calculated the odds of this succeeding against the odds I was doing something incredibly stupidů and I went ahead anyway.
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I have a hockey mask and a questionable moral code

outlaw_dr@hotmail.com Roadbuster roadbuster_99
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #146 on: June 13, 2010, 07:02:07 pm »

If you think you like Lupin now go buy the Castle Cagliostro.  Best animated adventure movie ever made.  You will not regret watching it.

Visit my Deviant Art page, home of Manic Depression: The Webcomic! http://thelastoutlaw.deviantart.com
Quote from: Dara
Mask, stapler, Machete.. The Last Outlaw: Like Jason, only more awesome, bitch.
Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #147 on: June 13, 2010, 08:09:19 pm »

Sweet, I'll keep that in mind.

HK-47
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

star.by.star@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #148 on: June 13, 2010, 08:26:35 pm »

Thanks, I just watched episode 1. Pretty good anime. Where do you find the other seasons of it?

I unfortunately don't know. Was a bit of luck that AnimeTip had it.

Yutrzenika
Waffle Overload!!!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

kawaii.wad

blu-pyro@live.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #149 on: June 13, 2010, 08:36:30 pm »

That stinks. Ah well, at least I have Season 1 to watch.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 91   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: