The Zombie Hunters Forum: WE GO THERE.
October 23, 2014, 10:31:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welp, done all ma animal burnin', don't need this shit no more so gonna sell it on E-Bay.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fans of Food Unite!  (Read 25113 times)
TheLastOutlaw
I calculated the odds of this succeeding against the odds I was doing something incredibly stupidů and I went ahead anyway.
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I have a hockey mask and a questionable moral code

outlaw_dr@hotmail.com Roadbuster roadbuster_99
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2010, 11:09:37 am »

I set out to make epic sandwiches for work this weekend. I bought a bunch of nice ciabatta rolls from a local deli along with some awesome fresh tomatoes and red onions.   Muenster cheese, mayo, stone ground mustard, roast beef, hard salami, some romaine lettuce.  I just ate the first one and it is EPIC.  I need to decide which lunch meats I will use tomorrow.

Visit my Deviant Art page, home of Manic Depression: The Webcomic! http://thelastoutlaw.deviantart.com
Quote from: Dara
Mask, stapler, Machete.. The Last Outlaw: Like Jason, only more awesome, bitch.
Tori-saurus-rex
ARC Support Staff

deathtowaffles@gmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2010, 11:17:23 am »

Gotta love fresh sandwiches.
I cannot stand having to pack a sandwich for lunch though, it sits and it gets soggy and then it's just not appetizing any more.
I will, however, pack all the ingredients seperately and assemble the sandwich later.

When all the work is done, by the light of a setting sun;
We see what we've become - two of the lucky ones.
AmadeusMaxwell
Zombie with Mad Elite Skills
Zombie Hunter
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Straight from the land that God forgot.

AmadeusMaxwell ZMES_Matt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2010, 12:05:00 pm »

My work forces us to take an hour lunch, so I usually prefer to dine in somewhere just to kill time.

I cannot stand having to pack a sandwich for lunch though, it sits and it gets soggy and then it's just not appetizing any more.
I've been kicking around an idea for a while that I'd really like to try, but don't have the funding for. Anywho, I'd like to try to open a "fast-food" place that sold only healthy stuff, not even making the unhealthy stuff an option (like soda). It'd primarily sell fresh fruit, fresh brewed tea of a few different kinds (with actual tea, not the crappy tea bags), bread made daily, salads, and actually cook meat instead of the pre-packaged thawed out crap. The idea is that there's a lot of people that want to eat healthy, but don't want to cook for themselves, bring their lunch to work, or go into a diner(which still isn't always great for you), so there's a ton of people driving around looking for a something quick and cheap, so I wanna make that option available and toss it up across the street from a McDonalds and see where all the single women and surburban wives flock to. Tongue

Tori-saurus-rex
ARC Support Staff

deathtowaffles@gmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2010, 01:05:24 pm »

There are places like you described that exist, unfortunately they are rather hard to find. And usually exist as holes in the wall. I love 'home cooking'. Even if I'm not the one cooking it.

TheLastOutlaw
I calculated the odds of this succeeding against the odds I was doing something incredibly stupidů and I went ahead anyway.
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I have a hockey mask and a questionable moral code

outlaw_dr@hotmail.com Roadbuster roadbuster_99
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2010, 01:10:39 pm »

Yep, you perfectly described a little sandwich place that used to be in the town I grew up in.  The very definition of a hole in the wall but GOOD food.

Visit my Deviant Art page, home of Manic Depression: The Webcomic! http://thelastoutlaw.deviantart.com
Quote from: Dara
Mask, stapler, Machete.. The Last Outlaw: Like Jason, only more awesome, bitch.
ensouls
Member of the Campaign for Dead Rights
Zombie Hunter
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Frau

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: April 30, 2010, 01:12:05 pm »

Food can be tasty, healthy, quick or cheap, but it's not usually all of those. It would be hard to turn a profit off of a place like that... not that it can't be done.

AmadeusMaxwell
Zombie Hunter
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

AmadeusMaxwell ZMES_Matt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #96 on: April 30, 2010, 01:21:35 pm »

Yeah, I'm thinking the only way it'd make money is if it was an addition to a place that already has access to the ingredients, say a World Market or similar type of grocery store. I've seen some groceries stories with something similar, but they're dine in only, no sort of drive-thru or quick option short of take out. Plus all those places in my area are out of the way just to get to them. Also those shops still have a lot of unhealthy stuff that I often see people going "Well I just ate healthy, so I'm sure it'll be okay for me to eat a mound of chocolate cake as large as my head" /facepalm

Edit: Also, another way to attempt to rake in customers, I'd like to open next to it a gym that doesn't charge people for a membership. I'd just make the walls nothing but pure advertisements that I'd charge companies to put up monthly. There's also a ton of people that'd like to excercise, but don't want to pay for a membership, so I think you could get a lot of people in there so advertisers would flock to peddle their product. Also, once you have the equipment to a gym, there's no cost of having it open other than that literal cost of keeping the doors open which is cheap, and you'd only eve have to pay 1-2 people to make sure people aren't screwing around and do light maintenance. Since it'd technically be a "public" building proposition your local city to fund it and/or make it a tax write off. Tongue

I fear I'm going off topic at this point though. >.>
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 01:32:37 pm by AmadeusMaxwell » Logged

Tori-saurus-rex
ARC Support Staff

deathtowaffles@gmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #97 on: April 30, 2010, 02:18:17 pm »

Food can be tasty, healthy, quick or cheap, but it's not usually all of those. It would be hard to turn a profit off of a place like that... not that it can't be done.
Yeah usually they run a little steap in prices. But I'd rather pay $10 for soup, sandwich, and a cuppa than for a combo meal at a fast food joint.
I feel like shite after eating fast food. The onyl thing I can usually get away with safely is whatever version of breaded chicken strips they serve.

BrainBlow
Not really a green haired teenage girl
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Dreaming of green hair

Hosikage93@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #98 on: April 30, 2010, 02:21:01 pm »

Yummy non-fast food, fried Chicken :3
Anyone else love that?

Ive gained an all-new respect for BB this day. LET IT BE KNOWN!

[c
Tori-saurus-rex
ARC Support Staff

deathtowaffles@gmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #99 on: April 30, 2010, 03:04:31 pm »

My grandma used to make this pan friend batterred chicken. And then steam it, so that the batter, would be more like a doughey soft, egg skin over the chicken breasts.
It's easy to make:

Cut your chicken thin and long - slice through the middle so that the breast halves or thirds are large but thin. It's easy to do this when they are partially thawed.

Prepare a seasoning and flour mixture ( flour and season salt or any poultry compatible spices/herbs ) - coat each breast.

Dip each coated breast in a egg and milk bathe ( dredging the breasts, make sure the mixture is slightly heavier with egg than milk )

Repeat for 2 coatings - 2 times is easy and not as messy, but 3 or 4 coats is extra yummy.

Pan fry, in a enough oil to submerse the bottom half-ish of each breast, until crispy and medium brown on the outer coating.

You can eat them now or you can steam them to soften up the coating and chicken just a bit.
To steam them, have a large ( quite large ) pot with a bottom 1/2 inch of water and a raised rack ( think cooling rack ) just above the water. As your chicken finished inthe frying pan, put them into the pot and allow them to steam with the lid on. They're done steaming when the coating/"skin" is loose and can be pushed or pulled away form the chicken slightly.

ce_gray
ARC Support Staff

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 03, 2010, 10:22:42 am »

My work forces us to take an hour lunch, so I usually prefer to dine in somewhere just to kill time.
I've been kicking around an idea for a while that I'd really like to try, but don't have the funding for. Anywho, I'd like to try to open a "fast-food" place that sold only healthy stuff, not even making the unhealthy stuff an option (like soda). It'd primarily sell fresh fruit, fresh brewed tea of a few different kinds (with actual tea, not the crappy tea bags), bread made daily, salads, and actually cook meat instead of the pre-packaged thawed out crap. The idea is that there's a lot of people that want to eat healthy, but don't want to cook for themselves, bring their lunch to work, or go into a diner(which still isn't always great for you), so there's a ton of people driving around looking for a something quick and cheap, so I wanna make that option available and toss it up across the street from a McDonalds and see where all the single women and surburban wives flock to. Tongue

... You're moving to Washington. NOW.

Is getting her butt kicked by psychology.
AmadeusMaxwell
Zombie Hunter
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

AmadeusMaxwell ZMES_Matt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #101 on: May 03, 2010, 12:03:25 pm »

Done. You're funding this, right? Tongue

ce_gray
ARC Support Staff

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 03, 2010, 12:18:43 pm »

Me? I'm a teenager without a job. So no.

Edit: 5/14

So, does anyone have an idea about foods that can relieve stress? Or perhaps the idea that cooking is therapeutic?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 12:07:46 pm by ce_gray » Logged

AmadeusMaxwell
Zombie Hunter
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

AmadeusMaxwell ZMES_Matt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2010, 12:21:00 pm »

A good cup of green tea can help with stress. As for food, there aren't any that I'm aware of that do.

As far as cooking goes, if you enjoy doing it, anything that will take your mind off of the specific thoughts causing the stress will help and is theraputic

ce_gray
ARC Support Staff

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2010, 12:24:33 pm »

I do enjoy cooking. Though I do not enjoy tea. =/

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: