The Zombie Hunters Forum: WE GO THERE.
October 22, 2014, 05:56:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: It's a BRICK-FLAIL!!!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stuff you've made, Mk. II  (Read 4714 times)
Cheez
Voted most likely to hug.
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Rawra?

lcharters2@hotmail.com nihtgenga1990
View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 19, 2010, 05:38:26 am »

Yeah, I'm remaking another pre-Forumpocalypse thread. mainly because I want to show my stuff off, but there's plenty of crafty people on the forum, so might as well have a thread to show stuff off in. You've made something cool? Post pictures of it!

I has chainmail dice bag.

There's quite a few mistakes in it, especially at the bottom, but meh. Pretty good for my first bit of proper work with mail. To give an idea of its size, there's 39 D6es in there, and it looks like it can hold at least that amount again.

Quote from: mudmonkey
Cheez is fuckin hawt with teh boobehs.
Quote from: Sammich!
Cheez is also a raptor...pirate. A raptor pirate. Playing chess.
WARNING- If you send me a PM with no subject, I WILL NOT REPLY.
The Infamous hobo
Civillian Police

Fucking Magnets, how do they work?

eject_the_floppy@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 05:57:15 am »

That is badass. Is chainmail hard to work with?

I collect dicks from a mental ward with a blowtorch.
TheLastOutlaw
I calculated the odds of this succeeding against the odds I was doing something incredibly stupidÖ and I went ahead anyway.
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I have a hockey mask and a questionable moral code

outlaw_dr@hotmail.com Roadbuster roadbuster_99
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 07:20:50 am »

Maxwell where are you?  They started your thread without you!

*Looks for AmadeausMaxwell.*

Nice looking dice bag but does it chip the dice?

Visit my Deviant Art page, home of Manic Depression: The Webcomic! http://thelastoutlaw.deviantart.com
Quote from: Dara
Mask, stapler, Machete.. The Last Outlaw: Like Jason, only more awesome, bitch.
Cheez
Voted most likely to hug.
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Rawra?

lcharters2@hotmail.com nihtgenga1990
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 07:40:13 am »

That is badass. Is chainmail hard to work with?

It's bloody fiddly, but once you get the hang of it it's pretty easy, just time consuming.

Nice looking dice bag but does it chip the dice?

*Shrugs*

No clue. It hasn't had a chance to be used yet, all my RP groups had paused for the Eostre holidays. First game's this evening. I'll keep you posted once it's had a bit of use.

Quote from: mudmonkey
Cheez is fuckin hawt with teh boobehs.
Quote from: Sammich!
Cheez is also a raptor...pirate. A raptor pirate. Playing chess.
WARNING- If you send me a PM with no subject, I WILL NOT REPLY.
ce_gray
ARC Support Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 10:36:09 am »

... I crochet scarves...

Is getting her butt kicked by psychology.
AmadeusMaxwell
Zombie with Mad Elite Skills
Zombie Hunter
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Straight from the land that God forgot.

AmadeusMaxwell ZMES_Matt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 11:37:07 am »

Here's my Maille Artisans profile you can get to in my info; it has some of the stuff I've made in it. Also, here's a couple other things I've linked on the forums before:

TZH Bracelet....I have a bad memory, but I think I sent this to forum member Kitsune...maybe? I don't remember >.>

Here's a dice bag I made for Sammie, it's only meant to hold a set or two of dice. If I remember right the CG stands for Cybergeneration which is a RP system. I'm really proud of the bottom of this bag cause it's entirely symmetrical, but to make it fit with the European 6-1 weave, I had to invent a 6-1 circular pattern, which wasn't too hard or complex, but interesting to try when you don't have any instructions to go by and are just winging it:

I wish I could find a picture of my girlfriend's necklace I made. I'm most proud of it, 'cause I made a nice Jens Pend weave with some very tiny rings using pure silver, none of that 98% sterling crap, but real freaking choke a werewolf with it silver. Tongue

ce_gray
ARC Support Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 12:07:51 pm »

Wow, this stuff is really cool. How long does it usually take you guys to make something?

AmadeusMaxwell
Zombie Hunter
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

AmadeusMaxwell ZMES_Matt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 12:39:55 pm »

It really just depends on what you're making, there's several things that will make your time vary:

1. Size of what you're making. Usually, something like a shirt will take a ton of more time than say a bracelet. That much I'm sure is obvious though.

2. What weave you decide to use for your item. Some weaves are very complex and time consuming.

3. Size of the rings you decide to use for your weave. Some maniacs/masochists make what's called MicroMaille <clickey

That tiny little patch probably would take me an hour and a half to make, much longer if I had to make the rings, which is point:

4. Whether you make your own rings or not. Most of the early stuff I made was with fencing wire and copper hanging wire wrapped around knitting needles, I wrangled up at Walmart for cheap. I didn't have a professional set-up though and started opting to buy my rings cut which are still fairly cheap (depending on what metal you use)

5. What metal you use. Some metals are very maelleable, others are very resistant to bending and it takes longer to put a single ring in place; for example, stainless steel is harder to work with than aluminum. There's not a huge difference between each ring, but when you're working with hundreds of rings, just a second longer can build up quick.

6. Last is just experience and practice at weaving. One thing I really love about making chainmaille is that once you have a pattern down you can just go into autopilot and watch TV or a movie or whatever while making it.

Sorry for the rant....chainmaille will make me do that. >.>

Edit: Reading over my post seemed kind of discouraging, so for the record I'd like to say that most weaves are actually very simple, and if you work with decent sized rings, it goes by pretty quick. The first dice bag in my MAIL profile you can see that is just like Cheez's probably took me 4-6 hours (itís been years, so I donít exactly remember) from coiling the wire, cutting the coils into rings, and weaving the bag; and that was with very little experience. Now that Iím pretty decent at it, I bet I could make a bag just like that one in a couple hours with bought rings
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 12:47:59 pm by AmadeusMaxwell » Logged

TheLastOutlaw
I calculated the odds of this succeeding against the odds I was doing something incredibly stupidÖ and I went ahead anyway.
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I have a hockey mask and a questionable moral code

outlaw_dr@hotmail.com Roadbuster roadbuster_99
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 12:42:57 pm »

MicroMaille is epic...

Visit my Deviant Art page, home of Manic Depression: The Webcomic! http://thelastoutlaw.deviantart.com
Quote from: Dara
Mask, stapler, Machete.. The Last Outlaw: Like Jason, only more awesome, bitch.
ce_gray
ARC Support Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 01:52:47 pm »

MicroMaille is epic...

Agreed...

Log!
Skooma Addict
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

THROW A BLANKET OVER IT!

Losmosquitos42@hotmail.com Losmosquitos42
View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 03:06:09 pm »

... I crochet scarves...
It's okay, me too.

Also, I think it would be pretty cool to be able to make chainmail stuff, dicebags especially, but I don't really have any kind of supplies place anywhere near here at all.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 03:57:14 pm by Log! » Logged

At least, that's what I think.
AmadeusMaxwell
Zombie Hunter
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

AmadeusMaxwell ZMES_Matt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 04:55:05 pm »

It's okay, me too.

Also, I think it would be pretty cool to be able to make chainmail stuff, dicebags especially, but I don't really have any kind of supplies place anywhere near here at all.
If you have a Walmart or Home Depot anywhere around then you can more than likely get wire tools and all, and for under $50

Here's a really basic Beginners Guide with a list of material you'll need. Alternatively you can buy an 8mm knitting needle instead of a 5/16" diameter metal rod, your coils will just be shorter. The galvanized wire in my area is only sold in 14gauge which is a thicker wire, just ask if they sell fencing wire as that's what it's more commonly known as.

To buy pre-cut rings you can order here: The Ring Lord which is reasonably priced. If you have like $10 to spare and want to forgo the making rings process(which means don't bother buying anything else but pliers) you can get some rings there to play around with. I would recommend the 3/8" 14ga galvy rings, they're a great size for beginners and are sold on that site for $3.90 a pound, you'll likely spend more money on shipping than rings. Tongue

Log!
Skooma Addict
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

THROW A BLANKET OVER IT!

Losmosquitos42@hotmail.com Losmosquitos42
View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 05:23:51 pm »

I don't think you understand when I say "Any kind of anything anywhere near here", the nearest McDonalds is an hour and a half away.

At least, that's what I think.
AmadeusMaxwell
Zombie Hunter
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

AmadeusMaxwell ZMES_Matt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 05:44:52 pm »

>_O

Fair enough

Jetraymongoose
The Waffle King!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Time Lord

markjohnson_303@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 06:48:25 pm »

I have never really tried to make anything like anything in this thread. The most thing I've ever really made was I turned an old pair of soccer socks into these cool armbands... Bout it. Oh, and cooking, but that doesn't really count.

All of time and space, anywhere and everywhere, any star that ever was. Where do you want to start?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: