The Zombie Hunters Forum: WE GO THERE.
April 24, 2014, 05:05:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Giggle Titties: The Articles Only Edition is on sale now!  Get your copy today!

HAHAH tits

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dungeons and Dragons  (Read 14481 times)
Achilles
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2010, 07:19:52 am »

Not if you're on mounted combat.

A heavy lance on mount has like x8 critical damage.
I've never done any mounted combat, oddly enough. I want to try a Knight, or a Cavalry-esq Fighter at some point, but the campaign I'm in now doesn't have much walking. The campaign I'm DMing on the other hand does, which is why one of my chars is thinking of picking up the Paladin prestige class. lol.

Speaking of my campaign, having an RP driven campaign can be a lot of fun...and a royal pain in the ass, at the exact same time. One of my players gets really into the RP, so we do a lot of between-game stuff, to keep things going when we're all together playing. 6.5hrs of continuous RP is a lot of RPing...
Log!
Skooma Addict
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

THROW A BLANKET OVER IT!

Losmosquitos42@hotmail.com Losmosquitos42
View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2010, 01:34:09 am »

4.0 vs 3.0/3.5

Thoughts?

At least, that's what I think.
Corvus
Outbreak Survivor

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2010, 03:11:54 am »

one time playing D&d we completely ignored some rules so I could play a SKAVEN character.
It was awesome because I had a gasmask to hide my race.

We all die alone, but it saddens me to know that I live alone.
Lash2828
Coolest Waffle in show
ARC Support Staff

I'm just that cool.

lash2828@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2010, 07:53:14 am »

3.5 with Pathfinder > *

It's so highly costumizable.

It's like having linux, where 3.5 is windows XP Pro and 4th ed is a Mac.

So stable it hurts. And the pain is chocolate.

"Lash, so pro that he can play TF2 on Atari."
Log!
Skooma Addict
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

THROW A BLANKET OVER IT!

Losmosquitos42@hotmail.com Losmosquitos42
View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2010, 01:43:29 pm »

What is pathfinder, exactly?

At least, that's what I think.
Lash2828
Coolest Waffle in show
ARC Support Staff

I'm just that cool.

lash2828@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2010, 03:42:49 pm »

"Pathfinder" aka D&D 3.75.
It's 3.5 with all the great house rules that's been made around the world gathered togheter.

It's highly compatible with most D20 based books and it's great for adding custom stuff.

dudesomebody
Half-Life

the beatings will continue until moral improves!!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2010, 05:09:00 pm »

We play in a Pathfinder game, it is made of win. 4th edition pretty much took all of the customization out of the game, it's great for fans of one night games but for me it is missing any replay value. Plus they killed magic in 4th edition....that makes me sad.

Lash2828
Coolest Waffle in show
ARC Support Staff

I'm just that cool.

lash2828@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2010, 05:09:51 pm »

We play in a Pathfinder game, it is made of win. 4th edition pretty much took all of the customization out of the game, it's great for fans of one night games but for me it is missing any replay value. Plus they killed magic in 4th edition....that makes me sad.

Aye. Every spell and "figher's stance" is now a "Power". It's greater as a board game, but seriously lacks the customization one had in 3.5/pathfinder.

Jetraymongoose
The Waffle King!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Time Lord

markjohnson_303@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2010, 05:20:54 pm »

The game Im DMing, the characters all rolled redonk on their stats, so I've gotta toughen up the encounters. Can you say Goblin warband?

All of time and space, anywhere and everywhere, any star that ever was. Where do you want to start?
Lash2828
Coolest Waffle in show
ARC Support Staff

I'm just that cool.

lash2828@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2010, 05:09:24 pm »

Sure, but I can moreso say "Sacred Rune Kobold".

They're the kind of religious ones that run screaming at adventurers, then they kill themselves (lol, no xp for yooo!) because they belive that their soul will take place in the (brave) adventurer's body.

Jetraymongoose
The Waffle King!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Time Lord

markjohnson_303@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2010, 05:28:58 pm »

Today, as my rat rogue, I was hiding in the one wizards backpack and totally destroyed her spell book, and then shit in her backpack  Grin

Then I was all crafty and sneaky and escape like a genius.

All of time and space, anywhere and everywhere, any star that ever was. Where do you want to start?
Achilles
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2010, 08:58:45 pm »

The game Im DMing, the characters all rolled redonk on their stats, so I've gotta toughen up the encounters. Can you say Goblin warband?
I intentionally made all of my player's chars a bit op in the campaign I'm DMing, but to make up for it I throw them at some seriouslly op enemies. things like 10 lvl 1 npcs vs 4 lvl 2 pcs. or 8 lvl 1 and 1 lvl 3 npc vs 4 lvl 2 pcs.

I'm in 2 different games, and DM one. All are based on 3.5, however, 1 sticks pretty close to the rules, while the other...well, doesn't. For my campaign, I use a lot of the varient rules in Unearthed Arcana, plus and have tweaked some of the other ones to be more to my liking (for ex: I use 3 spheres of magic, instead of the usual 2). I also use a varient class system that allows players to, over time, trade the class features of one class, for the features of another. They can also "buy" feats with XP (more feats, slower leveling. Potentially much slower).

anyone have any suggestions on how to go about pricing a custom magic item of an unusual nature? Specificly, I have a player that wants an iron, trapped storage box that's opened by a hidden clasp. For the trap he wants some form of poison/disease gas that's in single use, replaceable cartridges. Coming up with the price is proving...tricky. I can't even find anything close to use as a starting point.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 09:34:06 pm by Achilles » Logged
Lash2828
Coolest Waffle in show
ARC Support Staff

I'm just that cool.

lash2828@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2010, 07:19:38 am »

iron box: Small: 2 gold pieces. Medium: 10 gold pieces. Large: 30 gold pieces.
hidden mechanical feature to open: small box: 1 gold piece. Medium sized: 3 gold pieces. Large: 10 gold pieces.
trap mechanism: 10 gold pieces.
poison: see poison traps. (player's handbook 1, etc.)

The exact size of the box is where the problem would be, but when it comes to such costumized items, one shouldn't take it all schematically.
Myself roughly calculate what its total cost would be, seing how the item would be used.

B-Chan
Half-Life

'Cuz they rapin' errbody out here.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2010, 07:28:40 am »

In my opinion, 4th edition was made for people who don't give a damn about the "realism" of D&D, or for people who just don't care about D&D, like new and first time players. If you prefer to jump right in as opposed to nit picky character creation and customization, 4th is probably up your alley. I have also noticed that friends of mine who are fans of WoW tend to prefer 4th. An observation worth noting... maybe. Anyway...

-Multiple weak minions call for characters to have more passive and constantly usable abilities, such as Cleave, as opposed to taking them as Feats in 3.5.
-Characters are OP, which calls for overcompensated boss type enemies, which either are not OP enough for a party of 4 or 5, so they just get demolished by the party anyway, or are so OP to compensate for OP party members that they end up offing one of the team immediately. There is no happy medium.
-Healing surges... GAY, GAY, GAY. Every character gets an amount of healing surges to use per day. This is to eliminate the downtime so that there is more dungeon crawling time (See WoW fans above).
-While 3.5 took older, less used skills (like Read Lips) and incorporated them into more manageable skills, 4th took skills that were fine and well on their own and smashed them into even smaller categories (so that athletic individuals, for example, are good at all things athletic. Period.).

In short, I feel like 4th is meant to make the player feel like the badass protagonist from the movies, like LotR or something, even though sometimes even THAT doesn't even hold up with the overcompensated bosses. Ugh. Just not a fan of 4th at all, but to each his own.

Quote from: Jenny
Oh B-Chan, you're so dreamy.  He love you long time
Achilles
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2010, 04:44:25 pm »

There are some things about 4E I like. There are a lot of things about it I don't. One of the thing I like most about it is the implimentation of Will, Fort, and Reflex 'AC', and the ellimination of spells that auto-hit. On the other hand, I agree that 4E takes a lot of the magic out of character creation. Gone are the days Fighters that specialize in sneaking around and killing people, and rogues that walk up to people in broad day-light, chearfully say hello, and stick a knife between their ribs. 4E also seems to have less room for home-brew rules. All that said, I can deffinately see why 4E is more appealing to some people (most noteably newbies). The rules are much more straight forward, you don't have dozens of skills to memorize the use of, etc. I love 3.5, and even I have to admit that at times even I get sick and tired of trying to remember all my different abilities, feats, and skills. And I usually play a fighter or barbarian type.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 12:23:11 pm by Achilles » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: