The Zombie Hunters Forum: WE GO THERE.
September 22, 2014, 04:20:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: I'm having a fucking BLAST.  See this?  This is my "HAVING A FUCKING BLAST" face!!!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dungeons and Dragons  (Read 16371 times)
Colonel_Temp
Outbreak Survivor

Observe your doom...

View Profile Email
« Reply #120 on: August 22, 2010, 04:50:03 pm »

I'm running a Dark Heresy game over an IRC channel at the moment. The player characters are all members in a penal legion-esque unit called the 1st Mortis Regiment. We've only done one session so far but they've already crash landed onto the surface of a jungle deathworld called Talon, where they're having their first deployment. Angry Natives, Zombies, Dinosaurs and aliens await them. As well as a few Space Conquisatadores.
Achilles
« Reply #121 on: August 26, 2010, 12:41:25 pm »

so, in our last DnD session, our DM learned the hazards of randomly deciding to change a rule, without any warning. More specifically, deciding to interupt a player's turn (specificily, mine), in order for the NPCs to run away. What's more, my turn was immediately AFTER theirs...and I'm a lvl 16 wizard, meaning that even though most of them were on horses, I still would have had 7 (maybe 8...more if I try to chase them) rounds to attack before they got out of range (Evocation caster level of 19...my long-range spells hit out to 1170 ft). A horse carrying a medium load (which all of these were), can only run 150' per round. Now, ok...if she really wanted them to escape, that's easy enough to BS with a 'they have some sort of magical protection' line.the interupting someone elses turn I can't see. And when people pointed this out, we were the ones being unreasonable. Needless to say, it desolved into a shouting match in close order. Ironically, I wasn't one of the ones shouting. I escaped outside so I wouldn't have to listen to it.
Log!
Skooma Addict
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

THROW A BLANKET OVER IT!

Losmosquitos42@hotmail.com Losmosquitos42
View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: August 26, 2010, 12:48:06 pm »

Overly serious players ruin games.

DM: Shit man, these characters can't die or it will fuck up everything I have planned for this campaign. Alright, combat is broken and these guys run away.
Player: No, the rules say I can still kill them. I'm going to attack them. I'm completely ignorant to storytelling.

At least, that's what I think.
AmadeusMaxwell
Zombie with Mad Elite Skills
Zombie Hunter
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Straight from the land that God forgot.

AmadeusMaxwell ZMES_Matt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #123 on: August 26, 2010, 12:56:51 pm »

Overly serious players ruin games.

DM: Shit man, these characters can't die or it will fuck up everything I have planned for this campaign. Alright, combat is broken and these guys run away.
Player: No, the rules say I can still kill them. I'm going to attack them. I'm completely ignorant to storytelling.
True, but depending on the scenario, a main NPC can also be killed through bad storytelling. However, being a bad DM myself, I do appreciate the work good DMs put into writing a campaign and I let it slide or don't even say anything at all when it's obvious they just screwed up; I do start to say something when its happening too often though, at some point the DM either needs some advice or should take a break from DMing, imo.

Edit: TL;DR version, if a DM overrides the rules to thwart players too much, the game was already ruined.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 12:59:16 pm by AmadeusMaxwell » Logged

Log!
Skooma Addict
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

THROW A BLANKET OVER IT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: August 26, 2010, 01:00:49 pm »

Tru dat.

Lash2828
Coolest Waffle in show
ARC Support Staff

I'm just that cool.

lash2828@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 28, 2010, 10:45:08 am »

As a DM, I like it when my Players do what they do and twarth my plans. It opens for new, unexpected situations and my players know this. They enjoy that.

As far as shouting matches go, I enjoy the arguments they throw at me and I'm more than happy to juggle with what they throw in.
If they, however, try to work around a rule then I just read it up and if that doesn't clarify things then I make a bad call right there. That's my fault.
I still try to side with my players, the story is about their characters after all.

"Lash, so pro that he can play TF2 on Atari."
Achilles
« Reply #126 on: August 29, 2010, 01:29:20 pm »

As a DM, I like it when my Players do what they do and twarth my plans. It opens for new, unexpected situations and my players know this. They enjoy that.

As far as shouting matches go, I enjoy the arguments they throw at me and I'm more than happy to juggle with what they throw in.
If they, however, try to work around a rule then I just read it up and if that doesn't clarify things then I make a bad call right there. That's my fault.
I still try to side with my players, the story is about their characters after all.
Yeah...my DM tends to do the opposite of that. She gets upset when we thwart her plans and what-not. As far as she's concerned, we're just actors in her story, and the story trumps all else.
Log!
Skooma Addict
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

THROW A BLANKET OVER IT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: August 29, 2010, 09:30:22 pm »

As far as she's concerned, we're just actors in her story, and the story trumps all else.

Eh, that's kind of how it is. Your characters are in the DM's world, not the other way around. If it were about your characters, then you could say "Fuck all of this we do something else completely." There are DMs who will put you in an open world and let you do that, yes, but I feel like the better ones are the ones who just have a very wide path that is set in stone.

AmadeusMaxwell
Zombie Hunter
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

AmadeusMaxwell ZMES_Matt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #128 on: August 30, 2010, 08:04:51 am »

Eh, that's kind of how it is. Your characters are in the DM's world, not the other way around. If it were about your characters, then you could say "Fuck all of this we do something else completely."
Heh, reminds me of the time my friends said they wanted to play D&D, so I proposed I recreate Diablo one for them as a D&D game. After a week of work I complete several dungeon layouts, monsters adjusted appropriately and quests changed slightly to fit the D&D world a bit better. We start playing, they get to town, and one of the players goes "Eh, fuck this, I'm gonna go be a Pirate of my own ship"

Me: "Ooookaaaaay, the nearest ocean is at least a thousand miles away, and you don't have anywhere near enough money to get a boat, much less hire a crew."

Player: "Meh, I'll figure that out when I get there"

Me: "Is anyone going with him?"

other players: "No, we're gonna stay here and help this town.”

Player: “See yall later!”

Me: “Okay, so you’ve abandoned your party, you don’t have any directions to get where you’re going and you’re going to wander off into the wilderness? You die. We’re going to continue the story with the rest of the group and you can either make a character interested in participating or not play”

*player throws a fit about me being a bad DM and leaves*
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 08:13:50 am by AmadeusMaxwell » Logged

Jetraymongoose
The Waffle King!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Time Lord

markjohnson_303@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 30, 2010, 09:42:59 am »

Its hard to say. If it was like the group was split in half, I would try to do both. But if its one person leaving I would just do that same thing and say he died. Personally when I tried to make stories and stuff for the characters, I had some things that I wanted them to do, and everything I just left open enough because usually my players fuck around all the time and really don't take anything even slightly seriously.

Also, when school starts back up in less then a week I should be playing at school again with the good art teacher as a DM. It's 3.0 and I think I might be a Paladin, any ideas?

All of time and space, anywhere and everywhere, any star that ever was. Where do you want to start?
Colonel_Temp
Outbreak Survivor

Observe your doom...

View Profile Email
« Reply #130 on: August 30, 2010, 11:56:20 am »

I was reminded this friday of how my npc's always have the worst rolls imaginable. In a whole combat my mooks scored a single hit on the PC's. Now it was the first combat so I wasnt expecting them or aiming for them to get beaten up but it always seems to happen.
Lash2828
Coolest Waffle in show
ARC Support Staff

I'm just that cool.

lash2828@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 01, 2010, 07:31:14 pm »

3.0? Oh god, all the loopholes...

Go Monk. Spend skill points in discipline and tumble.

Be invincible.

AmadeusMaxwell
Zombie Hunter
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

AmadeusMaxwell ZMES_Matt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #132 on: September 02, 2010, 07:26:17 am »

3.0? Oh god, all the loopholes...

Go Monk. Spend skill points in discipline and tumble.

Be invincible.
Don't forget about Pun-Pun, the perfectly legitment kobold wizard with an infinite score in all stats! He love you long time

Jetraymongoose
The Waffle King!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Time Lord

markjohnson_303@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 02, 2010, 07:36:48 am »

But I don't want to be a monk  Embarrassed

I looked up some things and I gotta run them past my DM, but my character ideas are (Cause I wanted to try a non-normal race):
- A Gargoyle Fighter
- A Lycanthrope Paladin (Which would probably be a human Lycanthrope)
- A Gnoll Ranger
- Or a Tiefling Rogue.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 08:33:47 am by Jetraymongoose » Logged

All of time and space, anywhere and everywhere, any star that ever was. Where do you want to start?
Lash2828
Coolest Waffle in show
ARC Support Staff

I'm just that cool.

lash2828@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 05, 2010, 03:22:36 pm »

That fucker. Level 7 God.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: