The Zombie Hunters Forum: WE GO THERE.
November 24, 2014, 07:25:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: HOLY CRAPTARDS!!!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RogueLikes...  (Read 13460 times)
TheLastOutlaw
I calculated the odds of this succeeding against the odds I was doing something incredibly stupidů and I went ahead anyway.
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I have a hockey mask and a questionable moral code

outlaw_dr@hotmail.com Roadbuster roadbuster_99
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2010, 05:22:16 am »

Yea, the Doom one is really good and like any true Roguelike it will make you break down into fits of rage and weeping.

Visit my Deviant Art page, home of Manic Depression: The Webcomic! http://thelastoutlaw.deviantart.com
Quote from: Dara
Mask, stapler, Machete.. The Last Outlaw: Like Jason, only more awesome, bitch.
LordSappington
ARC Support Staff

Fookin' prawns

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 20, 2010, 07:02:19 pm »

Yea, the Doom one is really good and like any true Roguelike it will make you break down into fits of rage and weeping.
WHY MY CYBERNETIC ARMOR?!  Cry

Stan
Carbonite Dreamer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

booty butt booty butt booty butt cheeks

mogley22@msn.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #77 on: August 26, 2010, 02:22:52 pm »

is Minecraft a roguelike?

If you're gonna do that shit, do it about one of those ontario elections that always end in the cops chasing a rapist around a tim hortons or some shit.
Rhybo
Zombie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2010, 12:10:24 pm »

Not quite a Roguelike but just as ineffably frustrating with a fair amount of one-way-street-with-no-u-turns decisions to be made... and it's on the PS3!  Demon's Soul's by Atlus; one of the most, if not, the most frustrating game I've ever played.  It's incredibly hard with a steep learning curve (Hell... the introduction to the game is you getting slaughtered by a mini-boss unless you have epic skills, which no one does when they pop the disk in). 

The choice between craftings spells OR weapons with a boss soul is tantalizing contrived unless you're perusing GameFAQ's at the same time while playing.  And you can play through a second time, but you had better have built your character correctly otherwise you'll end up with a nerfed brick who can no longer effectively play because the difficulty has been ramped up ten-fold.  *MINOR SPOILERS AHEAD*

What makes it like a Rougelike?  Demon Souls are your only unit of currency... and there's no bank to store them in.  Items, weapons, spells, armor, stats, you can't get it/upgrade it unless you have demon souls and you have to carry it on your person.  If you die before you buy what you want, all your souls get dropped in a blood spatter and you are removed to the meeting area of the game.  Then, you have to go and try to reclaim those souls that you've worked countless hours for... oh but if you die enroute and don't touch your previous blood stain you lose them all forever.  Fun fact: if you kill the blacksmith that is able to create magical weapons for you... he's gone for good.  Same with the store operator, the priest that teaches you blessings, the wizard(s) that teach you spells, and everyone else.  Fun-ner Fact:  There is a character that you save in one of the levels that, if you let exist in the safe area for too long, ends up killing people one by one, including the guy that holds on to your extra equipment... if he gets offed, all your stuff disappears.  Good luck out there!!

Best part, other people can play with you online!  Either you can summon them to your realm and help you vanquish evil or they invade your world in order to kill you so they can regain their human form without wasting a valuable item. 

Then there's world tendency shifting from bright to black and items only accesible if you meet certain conditions.... crazy hard, kinda fun, give it a shot.

The best revenge you can achieve in world of the undead is surviving, living, and remaining human.  - Max Brooks said something like that in one of his masterpieces.

If you'd like, check out my blog about games, zombies, and anything really!
http://gamermuscle.blogspot.com/
Log!
Skooma Addict
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

THROW A BLANKET OVER IT!

Losmosquitos42@hotmail.com Losmosquitos42
View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2010, 09:04:09 am »

Is it worth playing through the first Etrian Odyssey to play the second?

At least, that's what I think.
HK-47
Brings the old-school pain and pimpin'
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Heaven's Smile, meet the Killer7

star.by.star@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2010, 09:59:43 am »

(Un)fortunately, no. You can probably get into the second just as easily as the first.
But if you're a fan of the genre, it's definitely worth playing the first. With the improvements in the second, the first might not be as enjoyable if you try the second before the first.
And it's dozens upon dozens of hours of pain fun, with the painkiller that is Immunize/Defender (So deliciously broken).

Ninja'd: 863
Gezkill
ARC Support Staff

Freebootaz Kommando

Mendror
View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2010, 07:38:44 am »

Hey guys, got a Rogue Like that you all might like.

http://roguesurvivor.blogspot.com/

Check it out yah  Afro

"Dem Undead Gits go down just like any 'umies do, just gotta aim for da 'ead."
"Dakkadakkadakka"
"Nothing like the smell of hot plasma in the morning"
Log!
Skooma Addict
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

THROW A BLANKET OVER IT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2011, 04:29:14 pm »

BY THE POWER OF THE GREY ONE, I RETURN THIS THREAD FROM IT'S DIGITAL GRAVE TO TALK ABOUT STONE SOUP!

So, fucking Amulet of the Gourmand. It lets me eat raw food and not get sick.

Fuck yeah.

HK-47
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

star.by.star@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #83 on: June 20, 2011, 04:55:14 pm »

Forgot we had this one. I would have kept on blabbing about Stone Soup every post I made in the Game Playing thread.

I never got far enough to truly appreciate it's effect as I usually die soon after I get it. But not get sick even if the meat is poisonous? Nothing I say can describe how awesome that is. Damn amazing. I have a whole new respect for it.

And I've learned to never, ever, sometimes, put on rings you don't know. A Cursed Ring of Teleportation in the Lair, Hive or Spider's Lair? Damn close to ending up as food a few times, or put in enough danger at least. Had to cut my visit short for the former instead of slugging it out. On the flipside, I can now control it after slugging down a potion of mutation, at the cost of a strength point (Adding two to Dex). At this point it might not be worth it, but I'm snacking on some mutated flesh from some ugly flesh thing.

Log!
Skooma Addict
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

THROW A BLANKET OVER IT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: June 20, 2011, 05:14:20 pm »

Do the gods in this get moody like they do in Ivan? I'm so hesitant to berserk with my minotaur because I don't want my god to just go "how about fuck you." and spawn an angel which proceeds to kill me.

HK-47
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

star.by.star@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2011, 05:39:00 pm »

I've mostly dealt with Trog (No spell casting and kill everything), Makhleb (Kill everything), Xom, the blue shrine lady who is all magic and casting magic and the card one. I think that as long as it's a god that wants death and destruction and one without loads of restrictions, you're good. Mostly dealt with the ones who have little penalties and the wacko ones.

Finished my run with a death that is literally "yet another stupid death". I could have kicked even more ass if I didn't die from retardation. Never before have I had such pimped loot, excluding the ring. I shed a tear at the end of my Minotaur, who brought me so far... damn this game for making me care.

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.8.1 character file.

42481 Bane the Basher (level 13, 113/113 HPs)
             Began as a Minotaur Berserker on June 20, 2011.
             Was a High Priest of Trog.
             Forgot to breathe
             ... caused by an orange crystal statue
             ... on Level 13 of the Dungeon.
             The game lasted 03:53:31 (26706 turns).

Bane the Basher (Minotaur Berserker)       Turns: 26706, Time: 03:53:32

(click to show/hide)

You were on level 13 of the Dungeon.
You worshipped Trog.
Trog was exalted by your worship.
You were not hungry.

You visited 5 branches of the dungeon, and saw 26 of its levels.
You visited 1 portal chamber: spiders nest.

You collected 1709 gold pieces.
You spent 825 gold pieces at shops.

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Grand Total: 904 creatures vanquished

26706 | D:13     | Forgot to breathe

I've learned something: If there's a crystal statue, don't fuck with it. And no matter how strong you are, you can die from Grade A++ Stupidity.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 05:43:42 pm by HK-47 » Logged

FireFog
Wastelander

Fast and Fourier

View Profile Email
« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2011, 11:33:15 am »

Do the gods in this get moody like they do in Ivan? I'm so hesitant to berserk with my minotaur because I don't want my god to just go "how about fuck you." and spawn an angel which proceeds to kill me.
The easiest to piss off are the "good" gods : Eilvilon (healer god), The Shining One and Zin. The others are hard to piss off if I recall well (some cannot be I think).

BY THE POWER OF THE GREY ONE, I RETURN THIS THREAD FROM IT'S DIGITAL GRAVE TO TALK ABOUT STONE SOUP!

So, fucking Amulet of the Gourmand. It lets me eat raw food and not get sick.

Fuck yeah.
With it you can also eat when not hungry.

Ain't that the truth. Not being able to move fast enough for poison to work it's mojo was what killed me off. And had bad luck in melee without a weapon, but definitely a combo I want to try again.
They have an additional attack (poison spit) which is non-negligible... but come on... 1 AC at level 1 Huh? Even a rat can own you in a few turns... but once you get mephitic cloud things get a lot easier, even if the movement speed and the mutation "Deformed Body" are truly annoying.

42481 Bane the Basher (level 13, 113/113 HPs)
             Began as a Minotaur Berserker on June 20, 2011.
             Was a High Priest of Trog.
             Forgot to breathe
             ... on Level 13 of the Dungeon.
             The game lasted 03:53:31 (26706 turns).
Manly tears were shed, I suppose ^^

On topic... "LULZ CURSED KNIFE"

Engrish as second language
HK-47
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

star.by.star@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2011, 06:36:52 pm »

They have an additional attack (poison spit) which is non-negligible... but come on... 1 AC at level 1 Huh? Even a rat can own you in a few turns... but once you get mephitic cloud things get a lot easier, even if the movement speed and the mutation "Deformed Body" are truly annoying.

Manly tears were shed, I suppose ^^

On topic... "LULZ CURSED KNIFE"

Still don't know how to use it, but it would probably fail when I need it the most. But I should learn it nonetheless.

It was such an honourless death that I had to mourn his loss with manly tears, for one isn't enough. Started a new one in his memory and after the first floor with a cursed Hand Axe, cursed Orcish Banded Mail and a cursed ring of teleportation, it got worse. The ring on the second floor landed me beside Sig "FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-" mund. And a snake. But I got transported to a monster house before that bastard finished me off.

TheLastOutlaw
I calculated the odds of this succeeding against the odds I was doing something incredibly stupidů and I went ahead anyway.
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I have a hockey mask and a questionable moral code

outlaw_dr@hotmail.com Roadbuster roadbuster_99
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2011, 02:41:17 pm »

This Stone Soup intrigues me.  I must learn moar.

Visit my Deviant Art page, home of Manic Depression: The Webcomic! http://thelastoutlaw.deviantart.com
Quote from: Dara
Mask, stapler, Machete.. The Last Outlaw: Like Jason, only more awesome, bitch.
Log!
Skooma Addict
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

THROW A BLANKET OVER IT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: June 23, 2011, 03:32:54 pm »

it seems to be a bit easy, as far as roguelikes go, but it's still a load of fun.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: