The Zombie Hunters Forum: WE GO THERE.
July 04, 2015, 09:22:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: I'm having a fucking BLAST.  See this?  This is my "HAVING A FUCKING BLAST" face!!!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Outlaw's State of Decay guide  (Read 45293 times)
TheLastOutlaw
I calculated the odds of this succeeding against the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid… and I went ahead anyway.
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I have a hockey mask and a questionable moral code

outlaw_dr@hotmail.com Roadbuster roadbuster_99
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2015, 11:52:52 am »

Some general tips on base building and community management to help you get through breakdown.

1.  Keep your active community small, this cuts down on your daily resource consumption, I personally wouldn't go over 12. 

2.  Prioritize your base facilities based on your playstyle.  My personal preference on the later levels is the Savini residence because you move right into it from the RV assuming you carried over 30 building materials.  It has a bunkroom, watchtower, food prep area and library built in and has room for three more.  I go with the fully upgraded medical area, machine shop (to keep cars fully repaired, the three parking spaces allow you a good rotation between vehicles) and a full dojo because the stamina boosts are EXTREMELY helpful for the almost constant combat you'll be in.  This build is really best suited to a short stay in the level though since you won't be generating your own food.  If you plan on staying long term hold out for Snyders or the Fairgrounds where you have the room to also build a garden.  Or you can ditch the dojo and go with a greenhouse and stick at Savini's, it's personal preference for me to have the extra stamina.

3.  Build all your outposts.  Each one boosts the chances of a community member who goes missing to end up safe by 15%.  Even at Savini's where you are capped at only 6 outposts that means a 90% chance they'll make it back which isn't shabby.

4.  Which leads into... if you get busy feel free to blow off missions for strangers but always make the time for your community members mission request.  Failing to help them when asked can lead to them getting lost for long periods of time, possibly forever.  Yes, that includes the gear they are carrying.  You don't want that.  I was so focused on trying to unlock Mickey Wilkerson I blew off a ton of missions and ended up having Doc and Joel the Biker get lost.  Doc got recovered shortly afterward, I’m hoping Joel will turn up again, he’s my mechanic…

Visit my Deviant Art page, home of Manic Depression: The Webcomic! http://thelastoutlaw.deviantart.com
Quote from: Dara
Mask, stapler, Machete.. The Last Outlaw: Like Jason, only more awesome, bitch.
TeeZee
The Huggly One
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2015, 06:06:18 pm »

Have you looked into the Year One survival edition on Steam/XBOne? It's pretty nifty. It got some (admittedly somewhat deserved) flak for being a prettied up version of the original game, but it's got some good features. My favorite is the addition of the knife. Instead of your unarmed melee attack being that dopey kick, you grab the nearest zed and just start stabbing them like something out of a slasher flick. Not efficient, but it's pretty satisfying when all you have to deal with are single enemies.
TheLastOutlaw
I calculated the odds of this succeeding against the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid… and I went ahead anyway.
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2015, 07:20:21 pm »

I have a PS4, not sure if I'll be getting an XBone.  The graphics for YOSE look good, glad to hear they did add some new features.  I know they added some new heroes to Breakdown from reading the wiki.  If they release YOSE on Steam I might pick it up.

Visit my Deviant Art page, home of Manic Depression: The Webcomic! http://thelastoutlaw.deviantart.com
TeeZee
The Huggly One
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2015, 12:59:08 pm »

Yeah, definitely make sure it goes on sale first. When I got it, it was about $30 on Steam. I mean, it's a good game, but $30 for something you've pretty much already played is pretty steep. Though of course with mods it becomes a whole new game, so that's up to you, haha.
TheLastOutlaw
Red Halo Officer
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2015, 10:33:51 am »

I learned a couple interesting facts messing about on the later levels of Breakdown.

1.  Lost heroes have a chance to reappear at any later level.  I lost Amelia Crasman (one of the best heroes I've come across so far) literally ten minutes after unlocking her and was so pissed off words can't even describe it.  A few levels later I found her in an enclave (along with Joel who I had also lost) and was able to recruit her again.  I knew you could find survivors you had left off the RV later on, the fact that dead ones can also respawn is pretty cool.

2.  If you need to bump up your community size fast and have 100 influence to spare you can have Lily search for other survivors which after a few minutes will put you into contact with a group you can immediately recruit without having to grind through a series of trust missions for their enclave.  This is especially useful if you want to move directly from the RV into a larger home site (like Snyders Trucking or MacReadys farm) right at the start of a new level.

The last Breakdown achievement I'm chasing is going to drive me insane.  The Rescuer achievement requires that you unlock every possible hero and the last one I need is "the Killer" which you need to do a mercy shot to unlock.  I've been lingering on level six forever trying to get this to unlock and I just cannot get it.  I haven't built a medical facility, I've long been out of medical supplies and I even dragged Doc out into the wilderness and let him get mauled so I have no medical personnel.  I have almost my whole community sick, with many hovering at "Gravely Ill" but this mission NEVER pops.  I've even been recruiting new enclaves, purposefully getting them mauled to near death and exposing them to bloater gas on their way back home.  I know I've said this before but I'll say it again, I hate luck based achievements.

TeeZee
The Huggly One
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2015, 07:55:48 pm »

Keep trust low. The more non-friends, the easier it is. Also try setting your clock forward a day and reloading to see if the mission pops up. AND make sure non of your gravely injured/ill people are away from home. If they are, check in and send them back. Every so often the mission will pop up when they return. Took me about an hour of moving the clock forward and keeping all the non-friends in shitty shape to finally get it.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: