The Zombie Hunters Forum: WE GO THERE.
September 30, 2014, 09:57:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Eat at Ed's Ale Shack and Grill!

Plastic forks are currently banned, we apologize for any inconvenience.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MMORPG's on consoles?  (Read 3049 times)
flesheatingzombie
Outbreak Survivor

View Profile WWW
« on: September 22, 2010, 06:29:40 am »

Does anyone thing that they will ever put the mmorpg's onto consoles? I think it would be an awesome idea and would definitely make them easier to play.

OMGzombies
Outbreak Survivor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 04:26:13 pm »

The did this before when Everquest was huge. They created Everquest Online Adventures for xbox or something. It was awful, it was 1/4 the content of EQ and I still think you had to pay a monthly fee. The EQ community laughed at it relentlessly.

Also FFXI was originally created for consoles. I never played it but assumed it was far easier to play on a computer.

I'm sure there are various other games too that I overlooked as well.
--Pappa Cricco--
Cricco was here
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I think I may of snapped...

done_done_onto_the_next_one@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 01:26:25 pm »

The way fable now works would act quite nicely. And Dragon age and mass effect could do it...

Log!
Skooma Addict
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

THROW A BLANKET OVER IT!

Losmosquitos42@hotmail.com Losmosquitos42
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 01:30:54 pm »

MMOs have been done on consoles, and they are all colossal flops.

Final Fantasy XI is widely known for sucking on the consoles, so much so that they added keyboard and mouse support.

MMOs could probably be done on consoles, though, if a developer actually cared enough to try.

At least, that's what I think.
--Pappa Cricco--
Cricco was here
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 01:35:33 pm »

I really think they should try. Or at least give cross platforming another try...

Log!
Skooma Addict
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

THROW A BLANKET OVER IT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 01:40:11 pm »

Eh, with cross platforming, one side is always dickboned.

You have to make it compatible with both, so control schemes and communication is pretty awkward.

And with consoles, you don't have the same player base. On the xbox, most players say "I pay for live, why should I pay for this game too when I can just play something else?" and with PS3, most players say "Why would I pay for online play when I can just play online for free?"

And then if you make it a free to play game, you have to include a million and one shitty microtransactions or you make no money.

Long story short, it is not fiscally wise for developers to make MMOs on consoles.

--Pappa Cricco--
Cricco was here
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 01:48:48 pm »

Money hungry bastards...

OMGzombies
Outbreak Survivor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 03:37:00 pm »

I've found that everything is alot easier on computer then console. I hated the original halo on console because I was so bad at it. The second I played it on a friends computer, I turned into a expert player that couldn't be touched (even after I still disliked Halo).

My friends purposely plays shooters on consoles because (and I agree with him) that its just far too easy on computers, and playing a console gives it that difficult edge he's looking for.
Cheez
Voted most likely to hug.
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Rawra?

lcharters2@hotmail.com nihtgenga1990
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 04:25:58 pm »

Hmm. A muhmorpaguh on a console eh? Nah, too much effort. That'd need me to hook up the consle to the 'net, and I cannae be arsed.

Quote from: mudmonkey
Cheez is fuckin hawt with teh boobehs.
Quote from: Sammich!
Cheez is also a raptor...pirate. A raptor pirate. Playing chess.
WARNING- If you send me a PM with no subject, I WILL NOT REPLY.
Sammich!
King of the Servbots
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

WARNING: I am become derp, the destroyer of worlds

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 05:28:24 am »

I think console MMOs can be done. Cross-platforming can be as well, but they need to work their asses off for it to function properly and not be a giant piece of shit.

Undead Labs is making their zombie MMO on a console. The thing about making console MMOs is that it needs to feel like a console game. The only difference between a console MMO and a normal console game is that there are a bunch of people in a massive world. Read what Undead Labs is talking about, specifically the latest article, and you'll know what I'm trying to get at. In the case of a zombie MMO, it's like taking Left 4 Dead and making it Left 5,000+ Dead. Sounds horrible at first, since who the hell wants a bunch of people clogging their streets? But that's the thing: It's a massive world. Toss a bunch of people in and you'll still have space for your party of 4 to sneak about dark alleyways in pure terror. A massive zombie-riddled world filled with players just makes sense. Although something like Silent Hill wouldn't work, since that goes against the story. That's besides the point though.

The Secret World is trying to do a cross-platform thing. Luckily, it sounds like their interface will work pretty much the same on both consoles and computers though. Less hotkey stuff, more menu stuff. Which works with the gameplay, since I'm pretty sure it's not point-and-click. And I guess that's what it comes down to: Console games are always twitch-based, while PC MMOs are typically point-and-click. Keep everything twitch-based (without the hotkeys and numbers decorating the bottom of your screen) and it'll feel more fluid, making the shift to console easily.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 05:30:54 am by Sammich! » Logged

Log!
Skooma Addict
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

THROW A BLANKET OVER IT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 01:58:01 am »

If you want to see an MMO that would work well on consoles, Check out Vindictus.

It's pretty, and the controls are pretty good. You can play with a mouse and keyboard, or a controller. I like it a lot.

Gromitooth
ARC Support Staff

If You Want To Get Out Alive. Run For Your Life.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 12:26:11 pm »

Nope. The keyboard has so many buttons. Any other console doesn't which sort of limits the playing variety.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | [url
Sammich!
King of the Servbots
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

WARNING: I am become derp, the destroyer of worlds

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010, 08:55:05 pm »

If you want to see an MMO that would work well on consoles, Check out Vindictus.

It's pretty, and the controls are pretty good. You can play with a mouse and keyboard, or a controller. I like it a lot.

I checked that out, it looks pretty sweetness.

Nope. The keyboard has so many buttons. Any other console doesn't which sort of limits the playing variety.

If the control scheme is simple on the keyboard, then it'll be simple on the console. Cheesy Which means that an MMO can't be ported over, but needs to be originally created for both. Preplanning and such.

Log!
Skooma Addict
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

THROW A BLANKET OVER IT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2010, 09:48:52 pm »

If the control scheme is simple on the keyboard, then it'll be simple on the console. Cheesy Which means that an MMO can't be ported over, but needs to be originally created for both. Preplanning and such.

But this can sometimes lead to one being a lot better than the other, which is usually the case with competitive shooters. When they cross consoles like that, PC players can stomp Xbox players 8 times out of 10.

Gromitooth
ARC Support Staff

If You Want To Get Out Alive. Run For Your Life.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 03:34:29 am »

Left 4 Dead 2 for example.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | [url
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: