The Zombie Hunters Forum: WE GO THERE.
September 17, 2014, 11:41:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: But I didn't mean to...

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pen and Paper revival  (Read 22556 times)
Log!
Skooma Addict
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

THROW A BLANKET OVER IT!

Losmosquitos42@hotmail.com Losmosquitos42
View Profile WWW
« on: February 01, 2011, 12:53:58 pm »

This thread is about games that you are in, games that you are running, games that you want to run, concepts you're struggling with, puzzles you want to flesh out, sweeps, creeps, bleeps, and any other anything that you're doing.

I'm going to be running a BRP game set in the Old West titled "The Haunted West". Players will be able to play as sentient zombies, werewolves, and regular old humans. I'm kind of having trouble really figuring out what the players will be there for, and why they'll be together. If anything needs to be fleshed out, let me know, and I will do so.

At least, that's what I think.
Jetraymongoose
The Waffle King!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Time Lord

markjohnson_303@hotmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 01:27:48 pm »

I always had issues when I tried to DM that I never really could plan right. The one real issue is the same Log has, is why are the players there, and for me, why the hell they should go do whatever quest.

The game I am in now is running good, well I'm dead in it, but good.

All of time and space, anywhere and everywhere, any star that ever was. Where do you want to start?
HK-47
Brings the old-school pain and pimpin'
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Heaven's Smile, meet the Killer7

star.by.star@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 02:33:11 pm »

I'm in one for DnD 3.5; nearly died a few times for the two sessions I was there for and prevented a few more from cheating on rolling my die. But playing a War Mage where I don't have to prepare spells is pretty fun; and the reserve feat for Fire Burst is one of the best feats I could ever take (By chance no less).

I think I'm doing well for my first time, even if you don't include the cheating.

(And love the reference)

Ninja'd: 863
Hailfax
Quartermaster
Zombie Hunter
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I'm your mother fucking Quartermaster

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 03:27:32 pm »

I'm still playing Exalted with the same group of people. It's a little hard since two of the players live in Vermont, but we test ran with Skype and it worked pretty well. We're in the second story arc right now, so that's fun after a two month hiatus. Also, this is the first table top that I'm playing in so, it's good when we have a decent GM whose also a good storyteller, so fun times. c:

It's been a hard day's night
Age is no guarantee of efficiency
3DS friend code: 4613-6707-8466
--Pappa Cricco--
Cricco was here
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I think I may of snapped...

done_done_onto_the_next_one@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 03:43:02 pm »

Me and a couple of mates are doing a pen and paper based DnD

Cheez
Voted most likely to hug.
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Rawra?

lcharters2@hotmail.com nihtgenga1990
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 04:12:49 pm »

My games should be starting again this week, after stopping for Christmas and the exam period. Fallout, Deadlands, Cthulhu, Dnd 3.5 (Might have to drop that one) and Shadowrun. There's also a cyberpunk one starting tomorrow that sounds interesting. No clue what system it is, but I plan to give it a go.

Quote from: mudmonkey
Cheez is fuckin hawt with teh boobehs.
Quote from: Sammich!
Cheez is also a raptor...pirate. A raptor pirate. Playing chess.
WARNING- If you send me a PM with no subject, I WILL NOT REPLY.
Jetraymongoose
The Waffle King!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Time Lord

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 04:25:08 pm »

Yeah same with my D&D group, we had exams and since the DM is our art teacher, we had to wait. It's been a month since we've played and I think we've all been itching to get back into it again. On a side note; it'll be weird when I go off to school because well they can keep playing but I'm 4 hours away so I cannot. I will miss them dearly.

Oh something I wanted to ask the group though, whats one of the coolest creatures/puzzles you guys have run into in a game and or used in a game if you were GMing?

All of time and space, anywhere and everywhere, any star that ever was. Where do you want to start?
--Pappa Cricco--
Cricco was here
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

I think I may of snapped...

done_done_onto_the_next_one@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 04:49:18 pm »

A cool thing i saw was a chap who got +200 XP based on RP ability. Our group had stopped to rest in a small room, we were eating etc. He moves his character off to the corner and starts grunting and wheezing. We asked him what he was doing.

"Mah dwarf need to go toilet!"

Needless to say we pissed ourselves laughing. For the rest of that session it all involved pooping.

"A troll appears!"

"I drop my breeches and expel my bowels!"

etc.

NerdPower!
MEOWTH! That's right!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Vote Saxon this November!

nerdpower13@hotmail.com nerdpower13 cooldude24597@yahoo.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 09:48:21 pm »

There was the time I was playing a Hunter game with my high school friends and we ran into some Frankenstein monsters. Bullets and shit couldn't stop them so we discovered their one weakness was fire. Being regular civilians and having no access to flamethrowers and such we had the brilliant idea of filling Super Soakers with gasoline and taping a Zippo to the end. It worked great for the first couple of monsters but then two party members were down and the other was wounded. I'm standing there with a Super Soaker in each hand with the last two monsters approaching while their master is in hand to hand combat with the other party member. So I fire the first water gun and the first monster bursts into flame but now that gun is empty and the lighter on the other one goes out so the last monster is advancing and I have an idea. I hold the flame from the empty gun up to the tip of the other one and the GM tells me I have to make an epic success for this to work. I roll 7 successes where 5 is epic and the last monster bursts into flames and dies. My other party member kills the scientist and we release all the children he had kidnapped. We administer first aid to our friends then we destroy the scientist's source of reanimation and get our asses out of there. Mission accomplished.

Achilles
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 07:42:49 am »

I always had issues when I tried to DM that I never really could plan right. The one real issue is the same Log has, is why are the players there, and for me, why the hell they should go do whatever quest.

The game I am in now is running good, well I'm dead in it, but good.
When I DM, I tend to fly by the seat of my pants, so to speak. I come up with NPCs that can easily be thrown together into groups for encounters, and a few boss-types, but nothing really set in stone. Sure, I have a general idea of where I want the campaign to go, but I have lots of different ways to get there, and 3 or 4, maybe even 5 possible endings already figured out. Which ending they get is entirely up to my group. This makes it more interesting for everyone, including me, because even I often don't really know what's going to happen next.

The DnD group I'm in has 2 long-running campaigns (for now, all 3.5) that we switch off between to give DMs a break. Plus, both the DMs have different DMing styles. I run a war campaign, but keep the storyline loose to make the player's have a bigger role in writting the story. Another DM is running a campaign that's actually based off of a book they're writting, and...well she can be a bit aggravating, because she'll randomly change rules to force us to do certain things, and can be so OCD about the story that it can suck all the fun out of playing. Generally it's fun, but on at least one occassion, she was having a bad day or something, and pissed off everyone so much that almost everyone walked way from the table. It doesn't help that that DM doesn't really know the rules all that well, and 2 of us players (one of which is me), pretty much has them memorized. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for houserulling things. I do that myself quite often in my campaign to help get the 'feel' I'm after. But she doesn't stick to her houserules. They'll apply one minute, but not another. Then they'll apply again. It probably doesn't help that the DM is fairly OCD (litterally). So much so that she even tries to tell us how to play our own characters. (example: I was playing a Evoker Wizard in this campaign, and we were exploring a seemingly-deserted village. I looked in a room, but did not go in. I cast Detect Magic on myself, saw that there was some sort of magical creature waiting in ambush, so I simply left...she tried to tell me that I would investigate the spider...). Basicly...she's a pretty crappy DM, but her campaign is nearly done (we've taken a break from it, because I had to stop playing for a while to focus on school, and I'm one of the main damage dealers), so we're all trying to be nice and will finish it out once I have the time/money for it.

Also in a 4e campaign that meats twice a month, with a few of the people I play 3.5 with. While I miss the customization of 3.5, I gotta admit that overall, I prefer it.

While I'm taking a break from the main group, they're experaminting with different systems (I know Paranoid, Star Wars, and Marvel. Maybe some others), and based on that, we'll be picking up long-ish term campaigns from one or more of those.
Jetraymongoose
The Waffle King!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Time Lord

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 01:29:17 pm »

I've got another D&D session tonight after about a month since school and what not. I wish it would be longer, but some of the group have plans tomorrow so they can't be playing till like midnight again. Hopefully though I will finally be brought back to life this game XD I've been dead for a fair bit of time but since they could bring me back I never made a new character. I liked my Ranger. :3

I will say I've only DM'd about, five times I believe? I do like players being a little bit silly sometimes, I wanted a serious group of players but I couldn't find any so I stopped DMing for a while.

Also, coolest thing I ever made a group fight: I made a creature using the Animated Objects Template in 3.5, and created the Weeping Angels from Dr. Who XD

Log!
Skooma Addict
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

THROW A BLANKET OVER IT!

Losmosquitos42@hotmail.com Losmosquitos42
View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 02:00:53 pm »

I'm not really having trouble with figuring out what's going to happen, it's more about why it's happening.

At least, that's what I think.
HK-47
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

star.by.star@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 11:08:10 pm »

Another session and another day of burning shit. And to be fair, that's just about all I've done, except use an ice spell that nearly killed my comrade. And what seemed like a good idea at the time turned out to be a bad one. Just like all my other ideas. I mean, you look at a two-headed ogre and he and his buddies all around the room go ape and then proceed to beat you to an inch of your life (The bastard failed his killing roll). But I'm ranting and rambling.

The Fiery Burst feat ruined many a plan and brought about just as much trouble.

Jetraymongoose
The Waffle King!
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

Time Lord

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 11:27:48 pm »

My group fucked up basically the only chance my friend and I had of being ressurected so we made new characters. Going Rogue again.

HK-47
Apprentice Zombie Hunter

star.by.star@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 11:41:32 pm »

You should go for War Mage and burn shit. Unless you're going to shank everybody and everything with your Rogue.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: